AMP for 500$ PLEASE HELP
Jan 3, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 36
Yulong D100 (Dac/Amp) works really well with my HD650s. Should do well with your HD600s.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 36
If you want to go just a bit higher I would recommend the Burson 160.

Great with HD600s.

If not I would say my vote having not heard either but reading a lot about them would be:
schiit asgard
nuforce hdp (also above 500 but has a dac in it)
used gilmore lite with dsp

Dave

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 36
Do you have a DAC?
Also, the Valhalla was reportedly designed for high-impedance 'phones so it would probably be more suited for the HD600s.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 36
I've been in the market for a DAC/AMP combo around $500, and from many, many hours of reading, these are my impressions:

If you don't have a DAC, Yulong D100, NuForce HDP, and Audio-GD FUN seem like the best bets for combo units near $500.

If you already have a DAC, less expensive AMPS would be Schiit Asgard (Solid), Valhalla (Tube), and Matrix M-Stage (Solid). If you want to just spend $500 on just an amp alone, why not wait it out and get that Lyr that is coming out March ($450) that is a hybrid Solid and Tube, although it's probably overkill for something like the HD600.

If you don't have a DAC and don't want to go with combo units, I would split the purchase on a separate DAC (e.g., Mini-I, Matrix Cube, or NFB-12) and separate AMP (Asgard, Valhalla, M-Stage).

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 36

Quote:
thanks, I'm thinking of buying in the summer. so that I can wait a lot more.
Tell us about an amplifier that will be released in March

Here's the thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/530556/new-schiit-lyr-hybrid-6w-headphone-amp-yes-six-watts-rms

It'll be worth reading it through to form your own impressions since that's a pretty hefty investment (at least it is for me!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back