Amp/DAC recommendation for AKG K712 Pro?
Dec 9, 2018 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

soundsgoodtome2

New Head-Fier
This is my first post on Head-Fi!
After looking at this thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/ for headphone recommendations, I decided to order the AKG K712 Pro. Symphonic Metal is my favourite subgenre.

The AKG K712 arrived a few days ago and it already sounds amazing compared to the Hyperx Cloud 2 headset that I always used.

Now I've read that these headphones will require an Amp/DAC to hear more details in music. I'm currently listening to them through my desktop PC. It's plugged in the "Asus Z170 Pro Gaming" motherboard and I only plan to listen to them from home on my PC. So not looking for a portable setup.

I'm willing to spend around €200 on this. I see that the Topping DX3 Pro Amp/DAC combo is on Massdrop right now for $175 (which is about €150). Should I go for this?

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 8
Now I've read that these headphones will require an Amp/DAC to hear more details in music. I'm currently listening to them through my desktop PC. It's plugged in the "Asus Z170 Pro Gaming" motherboard and I only plan to listen to them from home on my PC. So not looking for a portable setup.

I'm willing to spend around €200 on this. I see that the Topping DX3 Pro Amp/DAC combo is on Massdrop right now for $175 (which is about €150). Should I go for this?

I wouldn't really bet on that one being considerably and audibly better than a modern, not bottom of the bin motherboard's headphone driver circuit, and especially not for a headphone that is relatively harder to drive.

Besides you enjoy it with the motherboard now....might as well just listen to it that way while saving up for something else.

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I wouldn't really bet on that one being considerably and audibly better than a modern, not bottom of the bin motherboard's headphone driver circuit, and especially not for a headphone that is relatively harder to drive.

Besides you enjoy it with the motherboard now....might as well just listen to it that way while saving up for something else.

Thanks! I'll wait then. Any idea how much I need to spend/what to buy to notice a big difference with these headphones?

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 8
This is my first post on Head-Fi!
After looking at this thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution.715478/ for headphone recommendations, I decided to order the AKG K712 Pro. Symphonic Metal is my favorite subgenre.
The AKG K712 arrived a few days ago and it already sounds amazing compared to the HyperX Cloud 2 headset that I always used.
The Massdrop/Topping DX3 ships out on January 17th, so your looking at a 6 to 7 week wait.
I'm guessing Massdrop is not allowed to ship the Topping DX3 outside of the USA.
Which means you would have to have Massdrop ship the DX3 to an address in the USA, like a USA re-shipping company that can then ship the DX3 to you, guessing cost is $30-$40 (guessing). Plus you will have to pay whatever import tax (VAT?) the Netherland has.
Ordering the DX3 directly from China (thru eBay) would be faster and a little cheaper (free shipping), for you.
Check the website AVforum, ti's located in the UK, so maybe people on that forum can point you to good deals with in Europe.

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks! I'll wait then. Any idea how much I need to spend/what to buy to notice a big difference with these headphones?
A Sound Blaster Z sound card (used 60 Euros?) would easy match, if not better the Asus Z170's on-board audio.
Something like a Schiit Magni 3 (100+ euros?) or something equal to the Magni 3, would offer better headphone amplification, then the Z170.
Hifimediy seems to have some low cost DAC ($30-$70), that should offer a better DAC function, then the Z170.
(PC > DAC > head amp)

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 8
A Sound Blaster Z sound card (used 60 Euros?) would easy match, if not better the Asus Z170's on-board audio.
Something like a Schiit Magni 3 (100+ euros?) or something equal to the Magni 3, would offer better headphone amplification, then the Z170.
Hifimediy seems to have some low cost DAC ($30-$70), that should offer a better DAC function, then the Z170.
(PC > DAC > head amp)
So you do recommend going for a DAC/Amp anyways? ProtegeManiac stated I should save up for something more expensive to notice a big difference between the audio from my mobo.
I've looked at a Schiit Stack (magni/modi3) but I've been told the Topping DX3 Pro is better.

Also, the massdrop DX3 ships to NL

Dec 9, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 8
So you do recommend going for a DAC/Amp anyways? ProtegeManiac stated I should save up for something more expensive to notice a big difference between the audio from my Mobo.
I've looked at a Schiit Stack (Magni/Modi3) but I've been told the Topping DX3 Pro is better.
Also, the Massdrop DX3 ships to NL
I'm not sure what to say on the Topping DX3 vs Schiit Modi/Magni.
If you bought the DX3 from Massdrop, you would not get it for 6 to 7 weeks.
Your ok with waiting 6 to 7 weeks, to get the DX3?

I spent $400 for my DAC/amp (Audio-GD NFB-11.28), to me it was worth it.

Dec 10, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #8 of 8

Something like an AudioGD NFB-11. The Schiit Magni3+Modi3 is cheaper but by how much depends on where you are, so that's something you need to consider. If it turns out there's not much of a difference might as well get the AudioGD - barely any less power, runs Class A, etc. Only downside to it is that it has no analogue inputs to the amp circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back