Amp/Dac Recomendations, instead of soundcard.
May 10, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #47 of 55
I'm still curious why you're stuck on the TubeMagic.  The thing is brilliant IF you need the line out.  Otherwise, half the components inside it are a waste.

You could try to post a WTB thread in the Head-Fi forums for a used basic FUN.  You could probably grab it for under $200.

May 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #48 of 55
Mainly for I/O versitility,  Ability to use it as Just an Amp as well.

Quote:
I'm still curious why you're stuck on the TubeMagic.  The thing is brilliant IF you need the line out.  Otherwise, half the components inside it are a waste.

You could try to post a WTB thread in the Head-Fi forums for a used basic FUN.  You could probably grab it for under $200.

May 10, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:
Mainly for I/O versitility,  Ability to use it as Just an Amp as well.

With something like the TubeMagic, you'd want to use it as a DAC-only, and upgrade the amp portion before upgrading the DAC portion.  <_<  Why would you want to use it as just an amp?

Versatility is something to argue for, but that makes no sense.  Especially with low end combo units.

Jun 2, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #50 of 55
Sorry to bring that thread up again, but I'm currently looking at the audio gd fun and I'm wondering if I could connect my phono preamp to the line in sockets and route the signal to my active monitors if needed?
Is switching between normal DAC mode and analog output possible?

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #51 of 55
Quote:
Sorry to bring that thread up again, but I'm currently looking at the audio gd fun and I'm wondering if I could connect my phono preamp to the line in sockets and route the signal to my active monitors if needed?
Is switching between normal DAC mode and analog output possible?

Absolutely.  You can use it as any other input, and either output at the amplification/headphone stage, or the RCA stages.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #52 of 55
Another hijack, instead of making a new thread. I have a couple of options as far as DAC and amp and I'm looking for the best solution for around $120, I might consider spending up to $170 if I can get something much higher quality. I am using the KSC 75, ATH M50 and likely a future pair of AD700. Listening is mainly rock, electronic, vocal & acoustic I only have CD flac rips so 96/192 khz sample rate doesn't matter to me.

My current sources are Realtek ALC889A onboard sound and a Marantz SR5000 that takes digital input and has a headphone out. I don't currently have an amplifier and prefer the sound of the Marantz to the onboard sound, mainly because it makes the whole sound signature of both cans more precise sounding (tighter bass, precise/quick sounding percussion and acoustic guitar). I'm trying to find a solution for getting the best DAC signal to start with balanced with the best amping in my price range. Some options, prices are what it would cost me in CAN:

1: Marantz SR5000 - $FREE - (I wonder how it compares to dedicated head equipment)

2: Used Essence STX - $150 - (I only care about music so I wonder how it compares)

3: Used E-MU 0404 PCI into PA2V2 - $50+$60 - (hard to find the best amp for around $80, 0404 should be a high quality source?)

4: Zero DAC - $170 - (not sure of best ebay sellers, too expensive)

5:  Musiland Monitor 02 - $140 - (no analog volume, use digital volume instead?)

6: uDAC - $145 - (cheap amp not great?, overpriced in can)

I can always look for deals on used stuff. I'm trying to figure out the difference relative to the Marantz and then if I should go with a DAC/AMP combo or the 0404 and a <$100 amp. Any suggestion would be great.

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #54 of 55
Quote:
Another hijack, instead of making a new thread. I have a couple of options as far as DAC and amp and I'm looking for the best solution for around $120, I might consider spending up to $170 if I can get something much higher quality. I am using the KSC 75, ATH M50 and likely a future pair of AD700. Listening is mainly rock, electronic, vocal & acoustic I only have CD flac rips so 96/192 khz sample rate doesn't matter to me.

My current sources are Realtek ALC889A onboard sound and a Marantz SR5000 that takes digital input and has a headphone out. I don't currently have an amplifier and prefer the sound of the Marantz to the onboard sound, mainly because it makes the whole sound signature of both cans more precise sounding (tighter bass, precise/quick sounding percussion and acoustic guitar). I'm trying to find a solution for getting the best DAC signal to start with balanced with the best amping in my price range. Some options, prices are what it would cost me in CAN:

1: Marantz SR5000 - $FREE - (I wonder how it compares to dedicated head equipment)

2: Used Essence STX - $150 - (I only care about music so I wonder how it compares)

3: Used E-MU 0404 PCI into PA2V2 - $50+$60 - (hard to find the best amp for around $80, 0404 should be a high quality source?)

4: Zero DAC - $170 - (not sure of best ebay sellers, too expensive)

5:  Musiland Moniter 02 - $140 - (no analog volume, use digital volume instead?)

6: uDAC - $145 - (cheap amp not great?, overpriced in can)

I can always look for deals on used stuff. I'm trying to figure out the difference relative to the Marantz and then if I should go with a DAC/AMP combo or the 0404 and a <$100 amp. Any suggestion would be great.

Your cash estimates seem really off (I'm Canadian too).  A used Zero DAC from our forums should run you $100-140, or a uDAC for $90-100.  Also, PA2V2s are much cheaper than that, I just sold one (half accidentally) for $33 USD.  The 0404+Marantz or amp might be your way to go.

Quote:
Sounds good. Btw. are DAC with balanced xlr output always better than normal cinch sockets like on the audio gd fun?
Sorry I'm totally new to this.

Balanced and unbalanced connections are totally different things.  If you want to take advantage of balanced connections, you need to have a balanced DAC, balanced amp, and balanced endpoint (IE: Headphones/Speaker amp).  Thus, you probably couldn't use XLR outputs properly.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #55 of 55
currently I own a x-fi elite pro. Would the audio-gd fun ( Version A ) be a huge improvement? I plan on pairing the fun with the adam a5.
I read a lot about the different OPA modules and that most buy the earth module, is that correct? Or are there other configurations that make more sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back