Amp/Dac Recomendations, instead of soundcard.
Apr 30, 2010 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

Zoltan99

Head-Fier
As I mentioned in the other thread, all I will listen to is music, no gaming. So if I were to use a external Dac/AMP instead of a soundcard, or use the on-board spidif to a Dac/AMP what would be a good choice?

Ive been reading for days and Its still all of a blur at times.

Also as a secondary question, not to overtake the first. Why does a sound card need a 192kHz sample rate, when the human ear can only hear a Nyquist freq of 20kHz. I'm a little confused, is this all just marketing?

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoltan99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I mentioned in the other thread, all I will listen to is music, no gaming. So if I were to use a external Dac/AMP instead of a soundcard, or use the on-board spidif to a Dac/AMP what would be a good choice?

There are many great DAC's out there but we need a budget. You can go with a USB DAC or you can use the S/Pdif signal from a Mobo or soundcard you have around.

Ive been reading for days and Its still all of a blur at times.

Quote:

Also as a secondary question, not to overtake the first. Why does a sound card need a 192kHz sample rate, when the human ear can only hear a Nyquist freq of 20kHz. I'm a little confused, is this all just marketing?

That is one of those question in audio that is just a debate and goes in circles. Alot of newer media is presented in 24/192...BD disks are a prime example.

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 55
Hi,

First of all to put some light on the 24 bit 192khz thing, personally i much prefer the sound of 24bit 96KHz to standard 44.1/16. Its smoother, richer and just generally much more musical, notice i put 2496 and not 192, which is for reasons ill go into shortly.

To answer the SQ question regarding a decent DAC vs an Maudio 2496, well i used to use the Maudio 2496 before i bought my CA DACmagic. I now use the SPDIF out from the Maudio into the DACmagic and its night and day. for a start with good files (2496 FLAC being the best that both the soundcard can output and also the maximum that the DAC will accept) it sounds much better than my CD player (CA 640Cv2), but with the normal quality FLAC in 44.1 16 bit sounds identical to the CD player (which i also run through the DACmagic due to lower jitter and the fact that the DAC upscales to 192/24).

I would have sold the soundcard but i believe the SPDIF from the motherboard would most likely be inferior in quality, although being a digital output its most likely not audible.

Hope ive shed some light.

Oh and by the way, if your system is good enough, then i can highly recommend the DACmagic
smily_headphones1.gif

any questions feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 55
Check out the Audio-gd fun.... amp and dac in one and sounds absolutely amazing. Very well built, well designed and has a very nice clean power supply. Excellent bang for the buck... may even equal or better the dac magic. I haven't heard the dacmagic so I couldn't tell you.

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 55
You have to tell us about your computer audio system and your headphones, etc. There ARE good choices available for less than $200 if you want to listen with headphones.

May 1, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 55
i like my nuforce HDP

there's a lot of recommendations for the Audio-GD

if you have a wider budget get a little dot and WA6, nothing beats the sound of a tube (imo)

May 1, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Why does a sound card need a 192kHz sample rate, when the human ear can only hear a Nyquist freq of 20kHz. I'm a little confused, is this all just marketing?

You should ask this in the Sound Science forum so as not to stir up an argument and get your thread hacked.
smile.gif

May 1, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to tell us about your computer audio system and your headphones, etc. There ARE good choices available for less than $200 if you want to listen with headphones.

I have AudioTechnica ATH-A700's, which are all I use for listening. I cant use speakers. I run Linux as well and my mobo has both a realtek HD and AC'97 card, with the former having digital out.

May 1, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #15 of 55
Quote:

I have AudioTechnica ATH-A700's, which are all I use for listening. I cant use speakers. I run Linux as well and my mobo has both a realtek HD and AC'97 card, with the former having digital out.

Which Realtek? AD889 is quite good. Maybe all you need is a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back