Amp+dac or amp/dac for AKG 712 pro (first time buyer) ~230€ budget
Apr 30, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #18 of 29
The Element is a very nice amp I’ve heard it a few times but have never owned one or heard it with the AKG’s mostly planars but I’m sure it would have no problems with running them.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 29
The Element is a very nice amp I’ve heard it a few times but have never owned one or heard it with the AKG’s mostly planars but I’m sure it would have no problems with running them.
It's the element 1, not the 2 that they sell now. I can't find much regarding the original version or the difference between the two when I google it. Do you know the differences?

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #20 of 29
It's the element 1, not the 2 that they sell now. I can't find much regarding the original version or the difference between the two when I google it. Do you know the differences?
Yes I understood it was the 1 not 2 and I’m not sure of the difference either as I just heard the 2 at CanJam NYC in February and still think it is a good amp just like I thought about the original I’m pretty sure they changed the Dac in it but other than that I’m not really sure .

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #21 of 29
Yes I understood it was the 1 not 2 and I’m not sure of the difference either as I just heard the 2 at CanJam NYC in February and still think it is a good amp just like I thought about the original I’m pretty sure they changed the Dac in it but other than that I’m not really sure .
https://blog.jdslabs.com/2019/11/jds-labs-element-ii-official-release-benchmarks/
These are the differences, there's a performance comparison but I'm too much a noob to really understand. The dac is different and the amp is more powerful

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #22 of 29
https://blog.jdslabs.com/2019/11/jds-labs-element-ii-official-release-benchmarks/
These are the differences, there's a performance comparison but I'm too much a noob to really understand. The dac is different and the amp is more powerful
While the Element 2 has better specs doesn’t mean the original Element is crap it just means they improved on it and I can’t say it sounds better as I don’t have both in front of me right now but I don’t think the guys at JDS Labs thought they made a crap amp with the original Element nor do I but technology has changed and components have changed and not always for the better but it got them to change some things to put out something new with better measurements. Look there is a lot of amps and dacs on the market right now and no one has heard them all and I’m just giving you my opinion of what I have heard not as much as some but more than most as I have been to 5 CanJams and over 30 local headphone meets but again it is only my opinion and rarely talk about something I have not heard or owned unless it is by someone I know and trust. Just my 2 cents.

Apr 30, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #23 of 29
While the Element 2 has better specs doesn’t mean the original Element is crap it just means they improved on it and I can’t say it sounds better as I don’t have both in front of me right now but I don’t think the guys at JDS Labs thought they made a crap amp with the original Element nor do I but technology has changed and components have changed and not always for the better but it got them to change some things to put out something new with better measurements. Look there is a lot of amps and dacs on the market right now and no one has heard them all and I’m just giving you my opinion of what I have heard not as much as some but more than most as I have been to 5 CanJams and over 30 local headphone meets but again it is only my opinion and rarely talk about something I have not heard or owned unless it is by someone I know and trust. Just my 2 cents.
I trust what you say since you are more experienced than me and I'm giving a lot of value to what you said, thank you!
I'm going to read some other suggestions just to have a bigger picture and then I'll decide :)

May 1, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #27 of 29
I trust what you say since you are more experienced than me and I'm giving a lot of value to what you said, thank you!
I'm going to read some other suggestions just to have a bigger picture and then I'll decide :)
Smart move as it’s your money not mine . I try to give the most honest impression of things that I can but always take what others say including me with a grain of salt because we all have different likes in dislikes in this crazy subjective hobby of ours. It’s always best to try something out first but I completely understand that is not always possible I’ve made a couple of blind purchases some have been great and others not so much. I wish you luck in the hunt though.

May 1, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #28 of 29
Smart move as it’s your money not mine . I try to give the most honest impression of things that I can but always take what others say including me with a grain of salt because we all have different likes in dislikes in this crazy subjective hobby of ours. It’s always best to try something out first but I completely understand that is not always possible I’ve made a couple of blind purchases some have been great and others not so much. I wish you luck in the hunt though.
Thank you, it's my first real purchase in the world of dacs and amps so I'm just a bit nervous because I'd like to get the best that I can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back