Amp/Dac for under $200?
Jun 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

edge68

New Head-Fier
Headphones: HD 598
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence ST

Q:Why do I want to pair a dac and/or amp with the ST? 
A:Because I would like a physical nob for volume, bass, treble and any other features I can turn on. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Q:What kind of dac/amp am I looking for?  

A: First the dac/amp with the most features, for example a bass knob, treble and volume knob are the most important.

And second: Improving sound stage and/or better audio quality.

Q:What do I use my headphones for mostly, (games/music) ?

A: I mostly play games and occasionally I listen to music while browsing/gaming.

Pricerange: $200 and under.

All advice is greatly appreciated! 
L3000.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Hi!

About the soundcard - I have the same one and as far as I can tell it works as a DAC PRETTY WELL so no need for some proper DAC really... Just use digital or double-RCA analog output and you're fine (you can even use it's hardware ASIO function when streaming from double-RCA (which is the only proper ASIO anyway) :)

Its headphone amplifier is not that good so I suggest to buy some useful amplifier... However, I have no experience with Sennheiser =/

Very good, versatile and powerful amp is Fiio E9. Another good option would be Firestone Audio Cute Beyond, I guess :)

EDIT: You can EQ your music/game sounds with Essence ST in a much more complex way than with some DAC for that money... I would stay with ST as a converter (DAC) and just buy an amp to improve the signal strength.

EDIT2: But if you really want to completely skip your soundcard, you can try Fiio E17... But don't expect as good amplification as with those two (or at least E9). E17 is good mainly as a DAC with some EQ functions... But to be honest - Essence ST will do better so no need for DAC IMHO.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Is there something powerful like the e9 amp but with volume knobs for bass and treble?

The Bravo V3 tube headphone amplifier ($110)  does come with treble, mid and bass adjustments built in.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bravo-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier-V3-EQ-Equalizer-valve-US-/260677485333?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3cb196c315

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 8
I think I get the Bravo V3 thanks for the suggestion purpleangel.
I'm a complete noob when it comes to sound equipment and cables, I was what cable I would need to hook up the amp to my essence st soundcard?

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I think I get the Bravo V3 thanks for the suggestion purpleangel.
I'm a complete noob when it comes to sound equipment and cables, I was what cable I would need to hook up the amp to my Essence ST sound card?

If you want to be able to use the headphone surround sound. then you need RCAs (red/white) to a 1/4" (6.35mm) jack, cable.
The headphone amplifier in the Essence ST may or may not introduce "noise" when daisy chained to the Bravo V3, I'm guessing to leave the ST headphone amplifier on the lowest gain.
If all you want is just 2-channel stereo sound, then RCAs to RCA cable will work.

The Essence ST can only provide headphone surround sound from the headphone jack or the digital output, but not the RCA outputs.
But the RCA outputs would have the least chance of adding "noise" to the signal, compared to using the headphone output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back