AMP/DAC for Sennheiser HD598
Oct 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

avengernoonzz

Head-Fier
Hellooooo Head-Fi.

I'm looking for an AMP/DAC/Sound Card for my Sennheiser HD598s. By no means I am a audiophile but I've had my HD598s and ASUS Xonar DG sound card for a while now.

I'm looking for a way to improve sound quality in any way. My budget is $150-200 AUD.

My options so far -

1. Fiio E10 ($100)
2. ASUS Xonar D2X ($190)

I believe you don't really need an expensive amp, etc to drive the HD598s so my question is how much better are my two options compared to the ASUS Xonar DG? Will there be an improvement in anything?

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
I'm looking for an AMP/DAC/Sound Card for my Sennheiser HD598s. By no means I am a audiophile but I've had my HD598s and ASUS Xonar DG sound card for a while now.
I'm looking for a way to improve sound quality in any way. My budget is $150-200 AUD.
My options so far -
1. Fiio E10 ($100)
2. ASUS Xonar D2X ($190)
I believe you don't really need an expensive amp, etc to drive the HD598s so my question is how much better are my two options compared to the ASUS Xonar DG? Will there be an improvement in anything?

If all your doing is simple 2-channel audio (music), then I say get the Fiio E10.
The Fiio's headphone output comes with a very low impedance, which is a plus for headphone like the HD598, which are only 50-Ohm.
Try using the program Foobar for audio (music).

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
If all your doing is simple 2-channel audio (music), then I say get the Fiio E10.
The Fiio's headphone output comes with a very low impedance, which is a plus for headphone like the HD598, which are only 50-Ohm.
Try using the program Foobar for audio (music).

I'll probably go with the Fiio E10. Will there be any improvement from my ASUS Xonar DG sound card?

Also what's special about Foobar? (I've never used it before)

Quote:
I don't think that you will see a huge improvement with either of those options.  

I'd go with the Audinst HUD-MX1.

It is an amp/dac box.  Here is a link to a review: http://www.headfonia.com/audinst-hud-mx1-dac/

good luck!

Thanks! it's a bit hard to find in Australia though. I'll read more about it :D

Oct 5, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 14
Cheapest Fiio E10 I could find in Australia is $75 which includes free shipping :D

Cheapest Audinst HUD-MX1 I could find is $200 which is in my budget, hmmmmm. Not sure if I want to spend that much anymore, haha. D:

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Cheapest Fiio E10 I could find in Australia is $75 which includes free shipping :D

Cheapest Audinst HUD-MX1 I could find is $200 which is in my budget, hmmmmm. Not sure if I want to spend that much anymore, haha. D:

You can find plenty of secondhand sales on the forums here in the for sale/trade section where you can likely purchase items that would normally be out of your budget for a price that is within your budget.

Just a tip, since I used to always buy my audio gear new, until I began buying and selling on the forums.

Now I'm addicted :)

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Hellooooo Head-Fi.

My options so far -

1. Fiio E10 ($100)
2. ASUS Xonar D2X ($190)

It really depends on what oyu are doing. Is this just for music? if so get a amp/dac. I would suggest the e17 or e7 if you want to take it mobile as well, but the hud mx1 is a good suggestion for desktop. The e10 would be next in line after the the mx1. 

If you do plan on gaming and want surround sound you may want to consider a sound card with the 3d technology. If just music then the above works. 

Cheers

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Why Foobar? I'm new too all of this stuff. I have it installed and such but is there anything I need to do?? sound plugins, etc?

http://www.head-fi.org/a/foobar2000-a-guide-to-set-up
http://www.head-fi.org/t/616963/the-foobar2000-resource-thread

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #13 of 14
I just got the E7 and E9k combo shipped from Amazon last week.  Awesome results with the HD598.  Great deal at $159 shipped.  Perfect for 320k Spotify off the desktop too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back