Amp/DAC for HD650s
Jan 6, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
HA-160D is like $1000 .. overkill for HD650s which are only $350?

I figured he meant the HA-160DS, which strips the preamp feature and keeps it at a much cheaper 660 euros... unless he did mean the 160D.

I'd always heard the HD650s scaled very well which is why I figured it'd be best to put most of my money into an amp/dac.

The Schiit combo looks nice, although like I said I have no idea if I'm able to get it in the UK, couldn't find the Valhalla. Will probably put it down in my list unless it's pretty much the absolute best for the price, then I might think about importing (getting stung by customs is a worry of mine).

Edit: I see you can get them direct from Schit at they ship internationally. That looks good so I'll keep them in mind.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
The one UK distributor for Schiit has broken links on their site. I got an Asgard/Bifrost recently and just ordered directly from Schiit. It isn't as convenient but it works. 

Sounds good then... so much choices. :p

What's the difference between Asgard/Valhalla other than one being solid state and the other being a tube amp? I'll presume the tube one has a warmer, more 'buttery' sound?

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #19 of 31

Actually that is not the case.  The Asgard is warmer with larger soundstage.  The Valahalla  is a little more crisp, but has a hint of tube goodness in the mids.  But, buttery it is not.  
Quote:
Sounds good then... so much choices. :p

What's the difference between Asgard/Valhalla other than one being solid state and the other being a tube amp? I'll presume the tube one has a warmer, more 'buttery' sound?

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #20 of 31

Quote:
Actually that is not the case.  The Asgard is warmer with larger soundstage.  The Valahalla  is a little more crisp, but has a hint of tube goodness in the mids.  But, buttery it is not.  

Oh, right. Which would you recommend to pair best with the HD650s then? Valhalla or Asgard?

I also read the Schit stuff runs very hot. This wouldn't be a concern would it? Or is what I'm reading just paranoia?

And has anyone else got any input on the other suggestions earlier on in the thread? It's becoming clearer to me now bit by bit haha.

On an unrelated note, I heard Schit are releasing more DACs over this year. What will be the expected benefits of those compared to the one they have now?

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #21 of 31
Another vote for the GS Solo with the 650 here...

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
Oh, right. Which would you recommend to pair best with the HD650s then? Valhalla or Asgard?

I also read the Schit stuff runs very hot. This wouldn't be a concern would it? Or is what I'm reading just paranoia?

And has anyone else got any input on the other suggestions earlier on in the thread? It's becoming clearer to me now bit by bit haha.

On an unrelated note, I heard Schit are releasing more DACs over this year. What will be the expected benefits of those compared to the one they have now?

To quote the Asgard FAQ:

"Like, very hot?
Like, very hot. It's OK. We're well within the limits of the output devices. Remember, there's a 5-year warranty on our product. We have to be damn sure they'll survive."

After a few hours, my Asgard does get extremely toasty but I'm willing to take Jason's word on this one. As for Schiit's upcoming DACs (aiming for Q1 2012 if you didn't know), they'll be balanced and higher end. This is purely speculative but my best guess for pricing would be $750-850 each for the standard balanced amp/DAC pair.

*edit: Q2 for statement DAC

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #23 of 31
I've got the HD650 with a HRT Music Streamer II+ and a Schiit Lyr and I love it.  One thing I will say though is that the Lyr is REALLY powerful and you've got to be careful with the volume knob.  I rarely go past 10:00 and much past 12:00 is painful.

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #24 of 31
I have paired the 650's with a Stello DA 100 Signature and Vincent KHV-1pre for more than two years and have been delighted.  Only downside is both the Vincent and 650's prefer to play a bit loud.  Source is the Stello CDT 100.  Use a Shunyata Hydra 4 for power conditioning; with a Python from the wall.

Listen mostly to traditional C & W.  Some baroque.  The combination has kept me happy for those two years. 

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
To quote the Asgard FAQ:

"Like, very hot?
Like, very hot. It's OK. We're well within the limits of the output devices. Remember, there's a 5-year warranty on our product. We have to be damn sure they'll survive."

After a few hours, my Asgard does get extremely toasty but I'm willing to take Jason's word on this one. As for Schiit's upcoming DACs (aiming for Q1 2012 if you didn't know), they'll be balanced and higher end. This is purely speculative but my best guess for pricing would be $750-850 each for the standard balanced amp/DAC pair.

*edit: Q2 for statement DAC

Oh right... guess I'll have to trust him then. I'd still be wary of having that on top of a desk or something though, just because of any possible long term heat damage to the surface.

Quote:
I've got the HD650 with a HRT Music Streamer II+ and a Schiit Lyr and I love it.  One thing I will say though is that the Lyr is REALLY powerful and you've got to be careful with the volume knob.  I rarely go past 10:00 and much past 12:00 is painful.

Hmm, another Schit amp? I'm reading it was meant for raw power for really hard to drive headphones. How does it compare to the Asgard and the Valhalla?

Quote:
Another vote for the GS Solo with the 650 here...

Like I said, my main reason for wanting them is the convenience of them being in the UK, the fact Senn used to showcase the 650s with them and that you can get it and the 650s in a bundle... It seems like a really underrated amp from what I hear.

Still, thanks for the responses guys, it helps. :)

Jan 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #26 of 31
The heat of the Asgard is overblown.  I have one sitting on my table right now.  Honestly, it is cooler than my Woo 3tube amp.  Heat is mainly about perception.  I'm used to my piping hot tube amp, so the Asgard doesn't surprise me.  I guess if you're coming from an ipod or regular stereo receiver, the Asgard could seem piping hot and scare new owners.  But, it's nothing to worry about.  Class A amps run warm.

Quote:

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
I figured he meant the HA-160DS, which strips the preamp feature and keeps it at a much cheaper 660 euros... unless he did mean the 160D.

I'd always heard the HD650s scaled very well which is why I figured it'd be best to put most of my money into an amp/dac.

Yes, i meant the Ds version. Not the D (unless you need a preamp)

I actually own the Ds and use it with my phones, still needs burn-in but i really like his presentation. 

I think they have retailers on the uk...ask if they have 30 day money back trial. 

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #28 of 31

Quote:
The heat of the Asgard is overblown.  I have one sitting on my table right now.  Honestly, it is cooler than my Woo 3tube amp.  Heat is mainly about perception.  I'm used to my piping hot tube amp, so the Asgard doesn't surprise me.  I guess if you're coming from an ipod or regular stereo receiver, the Asgard could seem piping hot and scare new owners.  But, it's nothing to worry about.  Class A amps run warm.

Ah, good. Thanks for that, I'll keep it as an option then.

Quote:
Yes, i meant the Ds version. Not the D (unless you need a preamp)

I actually own the Ds and use it with my phones, still needs burn-in but i really like his presentation. 

I think they have retailers on the uk...ask if they have 30 day money back trial. 

Yeah, I can see retailers. Seems they average about high £700s. That plus HD650s would run me over £1000 I think.

How does it compare directly to a Asgard/Valhalla/lyr/Bifrost combo? I'm pretty sure I could get both of those for cheaper or around the same, and I keep hearing they're selling them for cheap when they're much higher performers than the price says.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #29 of 31
Gonna give this a bump and hope more people with experience see these. I feel like I'm getting upgradeitis here and I don't even have any of them yet haha. I just don't wanna get a combo, return it, get another, return it and keep going in an endless cycle. :p (At least not for a few years yet anyway!)

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #30 of 31
Guess I'll give a bit of an update now.

I think I'm considering the Monitor II line Amp and DAC, made by an enthusiast from the UK. They're really cheap for how good they are, and the reviews I'm reading rave about them being just as good as the Slee Solo, if not better. Extremely well made in build quality too and has enough power to drive all kinds of headphones. Ticks all the boxes imo.

The only thing I'm kinda thinking now, and this is probably opening up a big can of worms, even though I didn't really want to make a new topic on probably such a fiercely discussed subject... I'm wondering if I should stick with my original decision of HD650s... or go with DT880s/600... I could get them for aroudn £200, whereas the HD650s are still hovering around the £270 price mark. I've heard of fierce debate between the two.

The Monitor II amp would power the 600 version just fine.

Link to the Monitor II: http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/html/monitor_ii.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back