AMP/DAC for DT 990
Dec 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tehsprayer

500+ Head-Fier
Right now I am using the Fiio e10 which is fairly new and it is nice although I am getting some static issues only through my macbook air. Not sure what is up there but it works fine on my computer. It can drive my DT 990-250 well and not going past 30% volume on it (Approx 2.5/8 on volume). But I am looking for something more and also more of a full size dac and amp.

I am looking at getting the Modi and Vali as I hear tube amps are good especially on the 990s. Is it even worth paying that much for? Will it blow me away or anything? Is it much better than the Fiio e10? If it is worth the upgrade the modi/vali or the o2/odac be better? I like the modi/vali looks a lot more and is cheaper but if the o2 is worth more and sounds a lot better it may be worth considering.

What do you think?

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #3 of 5
I to would like to hear some suggestions for a DAC/AMP combo in the $300 - $500 price range.  I currently have the FiiO E17 but would like a desktop version.  I thought of getting the FiiO E09k but may not always have the E17.  I am open to either solid state or tubes.  I listen to mainly rock(new and old), country, and jazz.

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 5
  I to would like to hear some suggestions for a DAC/AMP combo in the $300 - $500 price range.  I currently have the FiiO E17 but would like a desktop version.  I thought of getting the FiiO E09k but may not always have the E17.  I am open to either solid state or tubes.  I listen to mainly rock(new and old), country, and jazz.

Same, I just don't know if it is worth upgrading from the e10 at a massive $200 price range (costs more than my headphones)

Dec 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #5 of 5
True, but I will probably upgrade from the DT990s at some point so a higher quality DAC/AMP will be put to good use :) The main downside of the DT990s thus far is that they've opened my ears up to a step up in sound so that means my wallet will be opening up as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back