Amp/dac for disappointed HD800 owner
Dec 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #121 of 239
Quote:
Can you clarify the "frowny face eq"?

Also I do agree that the HD800 is overpriced but I consider all of the headphones at this price range to be overpriced. The price jump from the flagships of old to the current flagships are quite large and ridiculous imo. It goes from the $200-350 or so range to over $1k. It would make more sense to be priced at say $700-800 or so but that's just wishful thinking and price gouging imo

Just to cheer things up a bit in here ^^. The treble roll is generally considered acceptable to account for the proximity to the ears (note peaks around 5-6khz which can cause fatigue. Some peaks are common from 8-10khz as the ear is a bit less sensitive to this area as it is more sensitive between 1-2 to 5-6khz) but the bass is rolled off causing instruments below about 90hz to suffer (also note ears are least sensitive in the bass area). However my main gripe with these phones is electronic music (lots of 40 - 20hz content and lower in some cases), it's just too bright and lacking bass.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #122 of 239
Quote:
Sell the HD800s and get a different can, they are too bright and have rolled off bass. If you are looking for flat response from 1 or 2khz to 20hz consider audeze or hifiman offerings. Don't shape the sound with the overpriced "audiophile" amps that only shape the sound. Amps are made to amplify, dacs are made to convert. Nothing else.

Have you ever heard HD800 with other amps?  When it is drive by my Marantz receiver, it has plenty of bass.  Out of beta22, the bass is light but no where I heard any roll off.  It is faint but definitely there.  Out of WooAudio WA22 with right tubes, it just sound as the recording is meant to be.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #123 of 239
I've been interested and following (even contributed) to this thread for quite a while.  As I've dumped invested more and more money into my HD-800 headphone chain, the more fun the sound seems to get.  

I've moved from an HD-650 with a Woo WA6, changed the headphone to the HD-800, and wound up with a minor upgrade in sound.  After finding a WA5 on eBay for a steal, the HD-800 changed dramatically.  

The bass must have been there all along, just waiting for the right amp to unleash it.  

The biggest change in the WA5 was in the power tube upgrade.  Pulling out the Tung Sols for PSVANE Treasure has added an entire new dimension to the sound.  And I still have a 300B output tube upgrade to go.  But now, looking back, I'm going to be well over $3000 dollars invested in amplification for a $1500 dollar headphone.   

If you believe Mike over at Headphonia, this is pretty much what you should expect when moving to a top-line headphone like the HD-800, if you're looking to get the most out of them.  

But now I'm at the mercy of the recording, and I'm on a mad hunt for quality source material.

I'm still using the Burson 160D for the DAC, and it's become the weak link in the audio chain.  I'll probably be looking at the Benchmark DAC-1 for another $1500 at some point.

This addiction-- it's costly.  And I'm beginning to understand why folks are unimpressed when they plug the HD-800 into a $400 dollar-- or even a $800 dollar amp with the expectation of being blown away.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #124 of 239
I'm actually with a 3 week old HD800, and I'm amping it with the Epiphany O2D (O2+ODAC in one box), and I think it's fine but I'm sure I'll get a better sound with a bigger amp,

I listen to EDM mostly and for my ears is really good, the HE400 is more bassy but the bass on the HD800 is, again, to me, really good. Trance is not really bassy as, say, Deadmau5' style, so I'm in love with these headphones.

I'll probably be looking at the Eximus DP1 or a Burson Conductor (I want an all-in-one box: dac+amp+preamp), and I'm expecting a BIG increase in sound quality, if not I'll realize that hifi is just snake oil, so big expectations on this thread.

Take care!

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #126 of 239
Quote:
But a lot of hi-fi is snake oil. =/

confused_face.gif

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #127 of 239
I have the 160D.  It's built really well, but my personal preference is the tube sound with the HD800.  The Burson sounds a bit bright to me through the Sennheiser, but I haven't heard their Conductor, only its predecessor.  The Burson has a nice DAC, and a great preamp for my Genelecs.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #128 of 239
I'm shocked that no one has mentioned the Bottlehead Crack kit amp as an excellent budget match with the hd800s, esp with the speedball upgrade. I tried the combo at a meet recently, & was shocked at just what a good match it is/was. It proves you don't have to spend $2000+ on an amp to get a darn good match with the HD800. Anyway for those on a limited budget it would make a great starter setup as you save for that $2000+ ultimate tube amp. Just sayin...

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #129 of 239
I started with the Xonar sound card when i first bought my HD800's.  Obviously, I had a lot to learn regarding how best to drive the HD800's !

After reading a LOT of info, I found the promised land for driving HD800's to my taste in the world of Woo Audio.

the Woo DAC and WA6SE amp with Woo's optional tubes did the trick for me.  Smoothed out the highs and really accentuated the low end with that warm traditional tube sound.  I am one happy camper with the HD800s now.  

But as others have said, they are also pretty music-specific.

The wide soundstage really lends itself to classical/symphony pieces extremely well.  Their accuracy put vocals up front and center with absolutely no veil whatsoever.  Adele, Jesse Winchester, etc, sound as if I am on stage right next to them.  Blows me away every time.

And the HD800's tell the truth, always.  A questionable recording or mastering job on the recording will be heard loud and clear in all it's sonic misery with the HD800's. 

I agree with others.....tubes are the way to go with the HD800's.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #130 of 239
Quote:
I've been interested and following (even contributed) to this thread for quite a while.  As I've dumped invested more and more money into my HD-800 headphone chain, the more fun the sound seems to get.  

I've moved from an HD-650 with a Woo WA6, changed the headphone to the HD-800, and wound up with a minor upgrade in sound.  After finding a WA5 on eBay for a steal, the HD-800 changed dramatically.  

The bass must have been there all along, just waiting for the right amp to unleash it.  

The biggest change in the WA5 was in the power tube upgrade.  Pulling out the Tung Sols for PSVANE Treasure has added an entire new dimension to the sound.  And I still have a 300B output tube upgrade to go.  But now, looking back, I'm going to be well over $3000 dollars invested in amplification for a $1500 dollar headphone.   

If you believe Mike over at Headphonia, this is pretty much what you should expect when moving to a top-line headphone like the HD-800, if you're looking to get the most out of them.  

But now I'm at the mercy of the recording, and I'm on a mad hunt for quality source material.

I'm still using the Burson 160D for the DAC, and it's become the weak link in the audio chain.  I'll probably be looking at the Benchmark DAC-1 for another $1500 at some point.

This addiction-- it's costly.  And I'm beginning to understand why folks are unimpressed when they plug the HD-800 into a $400 dollar-- or even a $800 dollar amp with the expectation of being blown away.

I recommend to reconsider this, it is not a good match...

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #135 of 239
Just picked up HD800's and their fantastic!!
The question is what direction should I take in buying AMP/DAC.
I read a lot of reviews WA6se (NO DAC) and it seems the right way to go however I really have know place to demo the WA6se's.
On the other hand the Burson Conductor seems to be a great Amp/Dac combo HD800s as well.

I am using a MacBook Pro with VLC, playing Flac files....I am really amazed how great it sounds  just plugged in my MBP's audio jack without an amp.
In contrast Itunes, AIFF lossless souds very bad. The VLC gives it a huge improvement, as if its being amplified, Any thoughts on why?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back