Amp/dac for disappointed HD800 owner
Jul 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #91 of 239
Quote:
You say you liked the Bryston better than the Beta?
blink.gif

Well, like I said, I barely remember each of their respective sound sigs; but I did try the Bryston for a longer period with more tracks. The b22 was not balanced, whereas the bryston was. From what I remember, the Bryston was more transparent and imaged a bit better. I'm gonna have to compare again!
confused_face.gif

Quote:

If you do you research, the upgrade tube are not that bad.

TS 5998 ~ 150/pair
Treasure ~ 150/pair
USAF 596 ~ 40/each

My preference for HD800 with budget
GEC 6080 or TS 5998 
TS 6F8G
USAF 596 or EML 5U4G

Money no object
GEC 6AS7G
TS 6SN7 BGRP 
USAF 596 or EML 5U4G

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll be doing a bit of research I guess. If I can get a worthwhile upgrade in sound over stock while maintaining tube budget under 500$, then I may just buy the WA22 and whatever other SS that synergizes well with the HD800

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 26, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #92 of 239
Quote:
blink.gif

I just noticed on your profile that you own both. Owning them makes it much easier to get a consensus. What are your opinions on each in comparison to one another? Have you compared them side by side at any point?

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #93 of 239
Quote:
I just noticed on your profile that you own both. Owning them makes it much easier to get a consensus. What are your opinions on each in comparison to one another? Have you compared them side by side at any point?

The Bryston is on it's way soon.  It's going to have to be a really good one to beat this Beta.

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #94 of 239
I use my hd800s with a adl gt40 amp/dac in my loft recording studio.. i thought about getting a wa6 after a good read through all the threads on headfi and the woo audio amp coming out as the top choice for the hd800s i but didn't in the end through lack of space i know it's $120 over your budget but if you look on the for sale forums one just might pop up..

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #95 of 239
Just wait for 20 more days, you will see how good the HDVD 800 is~~~~~ For me, I am going to buy it right away. I trust a company that can pull off the HE90 system is capable of design an headphone amp that works ultra good with there own headphones.

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #96 of 239
Why is the BHA-1 being talked about as if it can't compete on transparency?  It kills the V200, Burson, Phonitor in that regard.  It's one of the most transparent SS amps I've heard.  People have been saying the GS1/X is perhaps less so.  I'm hoping to hear the BHA-1 versus the Luxman P200, GSX and production Mjolnir soon.

Aug 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #97 of 239
Quote:
Just wait for 20 more days, you will see how good the HDVD 800 is~~~~~ For me, I am going to buy it right away. I trust a company that can pull off the HE90 system is capable of design an headphone amp that works ultra good with there own headphones.

Umm, are you aware of the bad HE90 amps they released or just the good ones?

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #98 of 239
Quote:
Why is the BHA-1 being talked about as if it can't compete on transparency?  It kills the V200, Burson, Phonitor in that regard.  It's one of the most transparent SS amps I've heard.  People have been saying the GS1/X is perhaps less so.  I'm hoping to hear the BHA-1 versus the Luxman P200, GSX and production Mjolnir soon.

I agree with this statement 100%  

Though I do find the GS-1 as being one of the most transparent amp I have ever heard.  The BHA-1 is running side by side with it in that regard.  As Anaxilus said.  The BHA-1 just kills those other amps in transparency.  It's really in a different league all together.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #99 of 239
Quote:

The Bryston is on it's way soon.  It's going to have to be a really good one to beat this Beta.

Well, I siad this two weeks ago before I got the BHA-1.  Now I have to said the BHA-1 beat the Beta in more ares than the Beta beat the BHA-1 in.  The only real thing the Beta has over the BHA-1 IMHO would be Bass impact, and Attack.  Now with that being said.  The BHA-1 is no slouch when it comes to these areas - not at all, in fact it has a different level of Bass quality than any amp I've heard.  It will make you love the HD800 on a SS amp for this very reason.

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #100 of 239
If you don't like the HD800's sound from your current amp, sell it or return it. 
normal_smile%20.gif

You shouldn't need a $1.5K amp to make a $1.5K headphone sound to your liking. This way you're going to keep spending, trying to like something that's just not your thing. I mean, the Nuforce isn't a bad amp and it's sound isn't that different from other solid state amps. The differences between amps are highly exaggerated in my opinion. 

This. Yes, their are synergistic qualities with certain combos but in general, amps give more of seasoning or flavoring if you will. Not a total over haul in sound.

The HD800 does not have a lot of bass impact compared to other high-end options and it has been documented in several places that there is a bit of funkiness (6kHz spike) in the treble.

Sure tubage can add some soothing fuzz to quell the harshness (at the cost of transparency if you ask me, but I'm not a tube guy). That's the whole draw of tubes.

I owned the HD800 for several months and then sold it. Its a great headphone but not for everyone.

Negakinu gave you the best advice. Sell it and look for something that is more your sound profile and matches the music you listen too.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #101 of 239
Quote:
blink.gif

Quote:

Well, I siad this two weeks ago before I got the BHA-1.  Now I have to said the BHA-1 beat the Beta in more ares than the Beta beat the BHA-1 in.  The only real thing the Beta has over the BHA-1 IMHO would be Bass impact, and Attack.  Now with that being said.  The BHA-1 is no slouch when it comes to these areas - not at all, in fact it has a different level of Bass quality than any amp I've heard.  It will make you love the HD800 on a SS amp for this very reason.

Well, at least now my statement makes sense! I was honestly very surprised by the Bryston, I know people would have a hard time believing me when I said I preferred it to the Beta but it seems like you can even agree now.

Wonder how the mjolnir stacks up against the BHA-1

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #103 of 239
Quote:

Well, at least now my statement makes sense! I was honestly very surprised by the Bryston, I know people would have a hard time believing me when I said I preferred it to the Beta but it seems like you can even agree now.

Wonder how the mjolnir stacks up against the BHA-1

Don't get me wrong.  The Beta is still the funner amp to listen to.  But that's because of the color it adds, where as the BHA-1 does not add color, if it does it's very little.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #104 of 239
How would you rank the Bryston, soloist and the beta in terms of transparency? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back