Amp/dac for disappointed HD800 owner
Jun 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #166 of 239
Quote:
My hd800 sounds much nicer on the wa2 vs my soloist. Still sounds good from the soloist though. Personal preference i suppose.

Still like vocals and tone on the t1's best:wink:

beerchug.gif

nice headphones btw 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #167 of 239
I just bought the hd800's and woo wa7, this suppose to be a really great combo. When I get it in I will surely post my impressions.

Feb 10, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #168 of 239
  I just bought the hd800's and woo wa7, this suppose to be a really great combo. When I get it in I will surely post my impressions.

A decent combo. Some recommend the Electro Harmonix tubes over the stock ones. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #169 of 239

A decent combo. Some recommend the Electro Harmonix tubes over the stock ones. 

Yep I got them. It's pretty much a must have upgrade, from what I have heard.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #170 of 239
Trunk,

You started an interesting thread (that I've just finished reading), but you never gave us an update on your purchase of the Violectric V200...

Quote:
  Thanks for the replys everyone.
I admit I'm very reluctant about getting a tube amp- seems like a lot of hassle and considering I've never listened to one, it seems risky.
With that said, currently I'm focusing on these amps:
* Violectric v200 (the top contender right now, but I can't find information about the quality of its optional DAC - anyone has any experience with it? Especialliy with the HD800 )
* Burson 160D / DS.
* WA2 - I will also need a DAC for this..
* RWA Corvina - Also needs a DAC.. And Isabellina HDP seems too expensive..

Decisions, decisions.. My wallet is already squirming.

I've ended up ordering the Violectric V200. As I've said, I'm reluctant at this point to start getting into tubes.
Will update once it gets here...

Uhh...  I just checked his profile - he was last online in July of 2012 and that was his second to the last post (immediately above).

Here is his last post - still lamenting the sound of the HD800, so I guess he wasn't very impressed with the V200:

Just to add a few cents - I have the HD800 (haven't heard the others your mentioned but considering buying an LCD2 these days) and personally I don't like them -
They do have a huge soundstage but that may not always be an advantage.
The biggest problem I have with them is that they are very tilted towards the treble side and (for me) do not have enough "punchiness" to the bass. If that is important to you (you mentiond "punchy bass") I would seriously reconsider or at least try to audition them before buying.

Oh well...  I'm thinking of selling my HD800 for the same reasons...  I've had a lot of fun with them, but I'm absolutely unwilling to go to tube gear and I just don't believe there are any solid state amps that will give me what I want.

(Forever hooked on the sound of my LCD-2 rev.1...)

Mike

Aug 30, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #171 of 239
Which is what ?

Quote:

Oh well...  I'm thinking of selling my HD800 for the same reasons...  I've had a lot of fun with them, but I'm absolutely unwilling to go to tube gear and I just don't believe there are any solid state amps that will give me what I want.

Mike

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #173 of 239
my dt990 premiums were quite harsh, until i paired them with an asgard 2 and bifrost uber. the bifrost may get rid of that harshness for you, as it worked for me. i live near nyc; if you are nearby you can come to try it out.

Aug 31, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #174 of 239
Sorry but REALLY confused now
I thought your comment was related to the Sennheiser HD800 and that there is no solid state amplifier that will give you what you want?

The LDC2 are like chalk and cheese in comparison no matter what amplifier you use 

Quote:
The Audeze LCD-2 (revision 1) is a planar magnetic headphone:

Sony PCM-M10 > iBasso PB2 > Audeze LCD-2 rev.1

http://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-2

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #176 of 239
Complin,

Quote:
  [snip]

Just to add a few cents - I have the HD800 (haven't heard the others your mentioned but considering buying an LCD2 these days) and personally I don't like them -
They do have a huge soundstage but that may not always be an advantage.
The biggest problem I have with them is that they are very tilted towards the treble side and (for me) do not have enough "punchiness" to the bass.
If that is important to you (you mentiond "punchy bass") I would seriously reconsider or at least try to audition them before buying.

Mike

Above, I wrote that I am "forever hooked on the sound of my LCD-2 rev.1..."

Which (I had assumed) prompted you to ask this question, below:

Which is what?

Thinking that you had no idea what an LCD-2 rev.1 is, I answered your question, as follows:

The Audeze LCD-2 (revision 1) is a planar magnetic headphone:

Sony PCM-M10 > iBasso PB2 > Audeze LCD-2 rev.1

http://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-2

To which you have now responded with this:

Sorry but REALLY confused now
I thought your comment was related to the Sennheiser HD800 and that there is no solid state amplifier that will give you what you want?

The LDC2 are like chalk and cheese in comparison no matter what amplifier you use 

Now it's clear to me that when you asked, "Which is what?" - you were asking me what I want in an amp, not for a definition of "LCD-2 rev.1."   
biggrin.gif

Which takes us back to the context of the post to which you first replied, where I wrote:  "I'm thinking of selling my HD800 for the same reasons" - with my reasons being the same as those expressed by trunk:  "The biggest problem I have with them is that they are very tilted towards the treble side and (for me) do not have enough "punchiness" to the bass.

Thus, what I want is less treble energy and more punchiness in the bass (quoting "trunk.")

See Skylab's remarkably well-written review of the HD800, for more on what's "wrong" with the HD800.

Mike

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #177 of 239
I just received my HD800's on Saturday. I have been using my Nuforce Icon HDP that I had previously and was using with the HD650's. The HD800's are great but the treble is quite hot as is mentioned in the beginning of the thread. I am now in search for the right amp. Woo Audio amps seem to keep popping up. I have to admit that the driving force for buying the 800's was for PC gaming. Yeah I know how that sounds. I'm using a Soundblaster Zxr when in use on my PC.

I suppose it will take a while for me to go through the many threads on this subject to find the right amp. Whatever amp I buy it will be for the music; my Soundblaster is for my games. Since 95% of everything I listen to is Red Hot Chili Peppers, it will be even tougher to find the right amp, at least that is what I assume. If anybody has some quick suggestions or could point me in the right direction, that would be great. I will keep reading through the forums but I try to not dig too deep in these forums because it makes my wallet hurt.

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #178 of 239
Hi funkymonkcp,

Quote:
  Since 95% of everything I listen to is Red Hot Chili Peppers...

Surely, you jest!  
biggrin.gif

I'm very close to selling my HD800 because I'm convinced that I have to spend more money on a proper amp than I'm willing to spend and trying to do it cheaply would only lead me to spend even more money in the long run.

I've been beating this particular dead horse for several months, but have concluded that you can save a little money by softening the treble (removing detail) and warming the mids and bass - at the DAC - with something like the MHDT Havana 2 tube DAC and a not necessarily powerful, but neutral and transparent solid state amp.  But that's a "solution" that masks the HD800's problems while also destroying one of its greatest strengths (resolution).

The ideal solution is to begin with a DAC that doesn't color or mask anything - a DAC that would be found superlative with any amp or headphone - detailed, neutral, transparent, great separation, etc. - driving an amp that "fixes" the HD800's bad traits without degrading any of its good traits.  Consensus says these are almost always tube amps or hybrids and, apparently, they have to be somewhat expensive designs to maintain transparency and resolution. Cheap tube amps won't cut it.

Without having heard it, going only on what I've read from others, perhaps the best amp under $2000 that manages to do this, of those currently available, is the Red Wine Audio Cassabria, selling for $1850 - as shipped. It replaced the discontinued RWA Corvina, which has a following with a handful of HD800 owners.

http://redwineaudio.com/components/cassabria  

For a little less money to start with, the Decware CSP3, at $1249 currently, apparently needs some tube upgrades to get there, and once you start rolling tubes, you might exceed the cost of the RWA Cassabria.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/CSP3.html

That's where I would go if I were willing to spend that kind of money on an amp to "fix" the HD800, but there are a lot of other opinions out there, of course.

I'm haunted by having heard a very expensive HD800 rig at a local meet, over a year ago, that was assembled by Head-Fi member named jazzerdave.   For me, it remains to this day, the very best headphone experience I have ever heard.

At the time, he was using Foobar2000 on a Win7 laptop, with a Peachtree X1 USB-to-SPDIF converter feeding the Coaxial input of a Peachtree iNova DAC (with iPod dock and Class A hybrid tube amp that are both bypassed - the DAC is solid state), with Line Out to the Cavalli Liquid Glass, and some balanced copper cables to an unmodified HD800.   

x1-overview.jpg

inova-lg.jpg

Cavali%20LG__8.jpg

I have no idea what tubes he uses, but I recall he had gone through several to find the tubes he liked best.  That amp has tube sockets that face forward as well as the two that face upward - for different pin patterns.  It's a tube roller's dream come true (or nightmare, depending on how obsessive you are, and how much money you have).

I have absolutely no problem remembering what I heard as a hogged his system for about 10 minutes at that meet.  The difference between what I heard that day and what I hear on my "best" HD800 rig...

FiiO X5 Line Out > HA-1 amp only > balanced HD800

... puts his rig in an entirely different league - on a different planet, really!    His HD800 no longer sounds like a dynamic headphone.  There is none of that "metallic" quality that all dynamic headphones seem to have.  Try as I might, there is always a bit of a "sheen" with every dynamic headphone I've ever owned. It's subtle, but always there, in the best rigs I've ever managed to assemble (not that I've been around the block, much, but I'm saying within my limited experience).  The most remarkable thing about listening to jazzerdave's rig is the blackness that surrounds even the faintest, shortest duration notes.  It's really stunning, I mean immediately jaw-dropping.  I could turn up the volume to the limits of comfort and still hear blackness around every note.  Everything was separated and distinct - ultra fast, ultra-controlled, yet with really natural attack and decay.  The overall sound was just natural, not reproduced.  Acoustic stuff made it an emotional experience, vocals were awesome, you name it - that rig is truly, genuinely, awesome.  

Revisiting that day just stains my brain even further - forcing me to lament that I don't have any way to listen to music that way, currently.  It's enough to make me want to sell my HD800, because they deserve better, but I know they'll likely fall into the hands of another guy who is forever on the fence to spend the money they demand.  It's as if I've bought a new helicopter that I don't know how to fly, nor even have the money to fly, but I enjoy sitting in it, just the same, on the ground, with the engine started and the rotors spinning ...   

I should either sell them or give them exactly what they want and stop messing around with trying to find "cheap" solutions.

Mike

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #179 of 239
Mike,
I recall you had a soloist and a centrance. Are you exploring the tube territory now? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back