Amp/dac for disappointed HD800 owner
Nov 26, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #196 of 239
  Yes, agree.

I am in the market for 'better' headphones and Dac/Amp. I liked the sound of the HD800 when playing Oscar Peterson through the HDVD800, but found it to be 'shrill' [not sure if that is the appropriate technical term, but that's my word!] when playing rock. The team then replaced the headphone cable with the 'Ch 800 S' and the quality improved noticeably. The fun was back with rock.

I do, though, feel a little reticent to buy such an expensive amp with the headphones and then also need to pay out for an expensive replacement cable. Especially as that cable will only work with those Sennheiser amps.

I have also recently heard the Oppo HA-1 and liked its sound. I haven't heard the HD800 through them - yet.

I feel the same about buying an expensive amp just for one headphone. Especially one released 5 years ago. Might wait to see what CES holds.

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #197 of 239
  Yes, agree.

I am in the market for 'better' headphones and Dac/Amp. I liked the sound of the HD800 when playing Oscar Peterson through the HDVD800, but found it to be 'shrill' [not sure if that is the appropriate technical term, but that's my word!] when playing rock. The team then replaced the headphone cable with the 'Ch 800 S' and the quality improved noticeably. The fun was back with rock.

I do, though, feel a little reticent to buy such an expensive amp with the headphones and then also need to pay out for an expensive replacement cable. Especially as that cable will only work with those Sennheiser amps.

I have also recently heard the Oppo HA-1 and liked its sound. I haven't heard the HD800 through them - yet.

I'm in the same boat. I'm using the WA7 and generally like it, but got bit by the buzzing (cell phone?) again, which I thought went away. Then, I listen and it sounds good. Hmm.

Anyhow, I've been considering and re-considering the HDVD800 but then read comments like yours and reconsider. Also considering the HDVA600 or my WA7 with a different DAC, but it's so hard without being able to go to an audio store to try them.

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #200 of 239
Hi guys

I'm not exactly disappointed, but I am thinking about upgrading from my Asus Xonar STX. It feels that my HD800s have a lot more to offer.

I like the clearness of the sound but I think it lacks some of the warmth. I absolutely do not want to go overboard in that regard, but I wouldn't mind if the sound was a tad warmer.

From what I've read here the HDVD800 isn't a choice and I might be better of with Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus? I'm afraid I don't know anything about tube amps or how to approach these.

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #201 of 239
  Hi guys

I'm not exactly disappointed, but I am thinking about upgrading from my Asus Xonar STX. It feels that my HD800s have a lot more to offer.

I like the clearness of the sound but I think it lacks some of the warmth. I absolutely do not want to go overboard in that regard, but I wouldn't mind if the sound was a tad warmer.

From what I've read here the HDVD800 isn't a choice and I might be better of with Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus? I'm afraid I don't know anything about tube amps or how to approach these.

If you want more warmth, just EQ the HD800 for extra warmth. 

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #202 of 239

If you want more warmth, just EQ the HD800 for extra warmth. 

That is an option for PCM content but not for DSD. Lack of DSD support is another reason I have excluded the HDVD800 from my considerations.

The HDVA600 is a good amp, but would need a separate DAC (for those of us with music in digital form).

Many of the newer DACs that support DSD also appear to be headphone amps, and so that raises a question as to whether a separate amp (like the HDVA600) is merited.

I would be keen to hear and compare the HD800 with a) The Oppo HA-1, b) The Chord Hugo and, c) The Marantz HD-DAC1

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #203 of 239
I would say anybody disappointed with their HD800, should try it with the Schiit Valhalla 2 fed by a decent DAC. The Valhalla 2 is an OTL amp as far as I know, and it sounds like a severely refined version of a Bottlehead Crack, and I'd go as far as to say it sounds like an Eddie Current Zana Deux OTL amp, though not as refined, but pretty darn close.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #205 of 239
Current user of bifrost uber/usb + valhalla2 + hd800

enjoying every minute and second with it.

get this combo and save the rest of the money.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #207 of 239
I haven't read all the way through the thread, but do you think you are disappointed with the pairing, or the headphone or the amp?

Do you like the headphones?

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #208 of 239
Hi all!
smily_headphones1.gif

I am currently thinking about buying the HD800s, so I have been listening to them for the past two days in a local shop.
The source were CDs from a Denon DCD-520AE through a Burson Conductor.

The recording that "shocked" me the most was "I Can't Quit You Baby" by Led Zeppelin on "Led Zeppelin". The moment at the beginning, when the song kicks in, I was stunned by the sound of the bass. I have never heard anything in such clarity and "realness" on a headphone.

Today I brought with me my RME Babyface, and played FLAC files (from that same CD source) through it, just to compare the setup.
Well, it was ridiculously different (worse). I have already expected less quality, but I was surprised as to how bad it actually sounded.

Now I am a little confused as to what the problem might be, and how I could relatively inexpensively still get that sound that put that fat grin on my face.
The Babyface is said to be a very good (and very neutral) DAC, so that is probably not it? Shouldn't the Babyface have a better DAC than the Denon CD player? Is it the integrated headphones amp then? Would it make sense to keep the Babyface solely as a DAC and use a Violectric V100 or a small Burson? Do you think I might get that unbelievable sound with that configuration?

The babyface has an amplifier with an output impedance of about 30 ohms, which is probably not enough for the HD800s, as I've read. And it's true: I have to crank up the volume on the Babyface pretty high up in order to get a good volume. But the volume is there and it was not clipped.
Maybe this is the problem and it would be a huge leap forward with a 50$ amp that would just be enough for the HD800s?

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #209 of 239
Ok, so I finally figured it out.
The internal Headphone amp of the RME Babyface is just not good enough.

I now use a Lake People G-103P, which sounds amazing.

Chain is this:

Source file -> DAC (Rme Babyface - not via headphone out, but via the line outs) -> Lake People G-103P.

There is siginificant improvement in detail and imaging, love it :)

Sep 8, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #210 of 239
Anybody have any experience with the Berning Micro ZOTL? Have read great reviews with the HEK, curious about adding it to my lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back