AMP/DAC and possibly new headphones
Aug 26, 2010 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sone

Head-Fier
Hey there,

I am interested in adding an AMP/DAC to my setup, and would really appreciate all of your suggestions and help on what my options are.  My setup right now includes Grado SR125i, Shure SE530, and Audioengine A5 speakers.  The source is my MacBook Pro, as well as my iPod/iPhone.  I've been looking at the nuForce Icon HDP as a possible option, and am open to hearing any suggestions for a headphone AMP/DAC in the $300-600 range.  I'd be possibly be willing to spend more, but really need to know whether or not it's worth it.  I am very satisfied with my Grado headphones, and have not been able to justify upgrading them because I have been told repeatedly that since I am driving them without an amp the difference would be rather negligible, e.g. upgrading from to 225i.  Even though I am posting this under the headphone amp thread, I am also interested in hearing any suggestions you may have for new headphones when I purchase this amp.  I listen primarily to the following genres: ambient, electronic, downtempo, psychill, trip hip, classic rock, and indie rock.  My budget for new headphones is ~$300, and it's possible that I might just keep the Grado SR125is for the time being.  Thanks in advance for the suggestions/recommendations, and I look forward to your responses.

-j

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 3
Sounds like a good well researched and thought out plan.  Stick with it.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back