Amoeba Records - Berkeley or S.F.?
Apr 4, 2007 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Ocean Machine

Head-Fier
Which location would you recommend? I plan on going to one on my trip to the Head-Fi Convention. Which store has the better used CD section?

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 20
I think the S.F. one has a better used CD collection. The store is a lot nicer, with more records, more cds, and is in prime location on Haight street. You can find a lot of record shops along Haight, and it is a great touristy location. The Berkeley Amoeba is a bit more run down, and I was never really satisfied with the CD collection there. However, Amoeba is one block away from Rasputin, so you get two big stores that offer used CDs just a few 100 feet away from one another. Also, if you are in Berkeley...eat breakfast at Ann's soup kitchen - right across the street from Amoeba...big plates for student budgets (I was a Cal Bear!)
580smile.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 20
Hrm I'm in the area, but I generally bloody hate going to SF/Berkeley so I've pretty much avoided shopping at those stores. I'd recommend going to the SF one just because there's a Rasputin nearby that apparently also has good selection and better prices on the things they do have.

This is based on what my SF co-workers have told me.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 20
Berkeley - it doesn't cost you $4 bridge fees and ~$20 parking, and you don't have to stress out driving there.

Unless you live in SF or course.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 20
I'd recommend the San Francisco one. I have bought a lot of really solid stuff there.

Also, parking around the SF location isn't too bad, as I recall. A decent amount of the time I can find a metered spot, and then there is a relatively cheap parking lot two blocks away which has always had spaces open.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 20
It takes money to drive into SF... it they take more for parking. Plus, students at the berkeley location get a 10 percent discount. About 20 yards away from that Amoeba there is a Rasputin with a great LP and jazz section.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 20
S.F. store is better. Just park at the lot on Stanyan called the 'Kezar Lot' or something of that sort. They usually have a sign on the street marking the lot. If you buy something from Amoeba, they'll validate the parking for one hour. It's not even a particularly expensive lot, though, so you can hang out on Haight thereafter or go to the park. I think it's like 1.25/hour or 1.50. If cost and hassle are the concern, I'd rather go to the S.F. store than Berkeley, personally.

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Berkeley - it doesn't cost you $4 bridge fees and ~$20 parking, and you don't have to stress out driving there.

haha if he is coming from San Jose - 101 or 280 - no tolls

Apr 4, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What bridge would he take to get to SF from the convention in San Jose
blink.gif

I prefer San Francisco, and I am sure that there is not a bridge that you would have to take and pay a toll on to go from San Jose to SF. BTW you wouldn't have to take a bridge or pay a toll to go from San Jose to Berkeley either. San Jose is below the Bay and you can take freeways to either SF or Berkeley without going over bridges and paying tolls.

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 20
Never been to the one in berk, but the one in SF (haight street) is pretty sweet. Alot of helpful + friendly people in there to give good recommendations to whatever you listen to. I'm going to head back there soon and look for some bossa nova recommendations.

Apr 5, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #14 of 20
Thanks for the help. I personally hate driving in SF, so I was already leaning towards Berkeley. I didn't know about the Rasputin near the Berkeley shop. We are getting a Rasputin here in Fresno in the old Tower Records building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back