Amelie - Jeunet
Sep 1, 2002 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

aeberbach

Headphoneus Supremus
I wasn't too happy when I read the DVD box that my wife brought in last night. It looked like a girl movie - you know, Beaches, Steel Magnolias etc. But it's by Jeunet, half of Jeunet et Caro of Delicatessen, City of Lost Children etc. Worth watching and very funny.

Sep 1, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 27
Yeah its a good one.

Mark
(Likes: exchanging glances with bored housewives in the grocery store, creating a mysterious isolation while taking a shower, the cool underside of the pillow at night.
Dislikes: messy toolboxes, ice crystal layer on ice cream, thin socks.)

Sep 2, 2002 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 27
Amelie is a gem for sure. Great story, wonderful cast, superb acting. And Audrey is cute too. Very cute
wink.gif

Honestly, it has been a while since I have been floored by something from Hollywood, but I am repeatedly floored by films coming from over-seas or even here at home (Canada). Another GREAT French film is Brotherhood of the Wolf. Tough choice for Zanth's favourite movie of the year....Amelie or BOTW. Close call. I will have to thinkn on it.

Sep 2, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 27
I really enjoyed this movie too. I don't know if this is a "ckick flick" per se, but if you have a romantic bone in your body, you'll like this too (besides, as Zanth noted, Amelie is *very* cute
wink.gif
). If not, it's practically worth it just to look at the darn thing, the colors in the film are simply amazing.

markl

Sep 2, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
But it's by Jeunet, half of Jeunet et Caro of Delicatessen, City of Lost Children etc.

Let's not forget his masterwork: Alien Resurrection
tongue.gif

I really liked Amelie. IMO Jeunet has finally found a vehicle to harness his unique visual style in a way that can touch a mainstream audience.

Sep 2, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 27
Agreed.

Amelie is a modern masterpiece, as is the City of Lost Children. Alien Resurrection however get a high ranking on my turd list.

Sep 2, 2002 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 27
Liked Amelie alot. An enjoyable slice of life told in an imaginative and visually beautiful manner. Judicious use of CGI effects do not distract from the "old school" European hue of the film, and only enhanced the story in an unexpected way.

Although I must confess that I have always found French women in film somewhat inaccessible, and difficult to sympathize with. If not for Audrey Tautou's huge, brown, doe-eyes, and beautiful face, I am afraid that I would feel as little for her as I ever did for Catherine Deneuve. Is it just me?

I actually found the other characters around her more real and interesting. Absolutely loved the traveling knome side-story!

All-in-all... a delight.

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 27
My roommate's girlfriend has this movie. Guess I'll have to borrow the dvd from her.

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
And Audrey is cute too. Very cute
wink.gif

What's amazing is that the actress is even more cute. I think they deliberately "down-cuted" her. For most of the movie, not all of it.

Sep 3, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 27
Yah, Delicatessen is one of my favorite movies of all time. I finally saw City of Lost Children last year, and that too is one of my favorite movies. Jeunet is a master.

Sep 3, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 27
yep... only romantic comedy i'll ever admit to likeing, much less go to see in the theaters... with another guy...

and now we're living together
eek.gif

the power of hollywood. or paris, as it were...
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2002 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 27
Actually, I know about this movie all too well. I've seen it over 12 times. (i used to work at an indie theater) While, it did have it's moments, it didn't really have a solid plot IMO. In fact, there was a russian couple who absolutely hated it. While I do think it is an okay movie, i don't consider it to be one of the best out there.

FUR PIE DOESN"T SELL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back