AMC CD8B vs.Cambridge Audio D300SE........Opinions?
Jul 30, 2001 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 34
The Marantz is also available in silver. Mine is actually a silver one, or rather champagne finish, basically silver with just a hint of gold.

Considering the "agressive" sound I don't think it's any hard or edgy sounding player on its own. It is articulate and clean. However I never tried it with Grados higher than SR60, so I don't relly know about that. With Senns it sounds spectacular.

Jul 30, 2001 at 8:04 PM Post #17 of 34
Joe, try calling Spearit Sound and talking to Jack Tozzi. I just bought a second one from him a week ago. He charged me $349. Maybe the price went up?

Brian.

Jul 30, 2001 at 9:12 PM Post #18 of 34
Here's a review of some buget players :
D500%20best%20buy%20May%202000%20HFC%20conclusion.jpg

Jul 30, 2001 at 9:43 PM Post #19 of 34
Was your recommendation based on this review KR?

Just for a comparison, this is what the British HiFi press have to say about some popular headphones.

" AKG-K501-If you're a fan of bass-driven tracks, the K501s are worth a listen"

"Beyer DT831- Handle busy mixes with ease, but trade timing for detail"

What HiFi

or try this:

"Grado SR225- Warm darkly-coloured tonally and ultimately lacking in clarity, but true to the spirit of the music"

HiFi Choice

Do you get the idea...although in the review KR reprinted here they were obviously in much better shape.

Jul 30, 2001 at 10:00 PM Post #20 of 34
I think blr will be mad if you don't buy the Marantz 6000.
wink.gif
wink.gif

Brian.

Jul 30, 2001 at 10:07 PM Post #21 of 34
I just went to HiFi Choice and read the review of the Marantz CD6000 (not the OSE, which the reviewer said was even better in range and clarity). If I was gonna go strictly on reviews, I'd get the Marantz. It got a full 5 stars all around.
And the confusion continues......
confused.gif

Jul 30, 2001 at 10:45 PM Post #22 of 34
isn't the confusion and decision half the fun?
smily_headphones1.gif
If there was one that was definately better than all the rest, there wouldn't be all this discussion. For me aesthetics was a major selling point of the Cambridge D500SE and it's been a very good player for me. slightly bright but still enjoyable.

Jul 30, 2001 at 11:00 PM Post #23 of 34
For most people, the recommendation would be to match the electronics strengths with the 'phones, etc. But in your case, you own tons of stuff, so who knows. I like the Cambridge because little design effort went into the front plate and casing, but instead into the innards. Since I don't throw my equipment around, I think that's the right philosophy. Both players will undoubtedly have their strengths and weaknesses with your electronics and 'phones, and personal preference will make the difference. Perhaps you could look for some kind of demo program so you could decide for yourself. I don't know if you'll find anything like that , though.

Hell, I'm about to buy two pairs of headphones, and you've got a zillion! Why not buy both CDPs?

wink.gif

Jul 30, 2001 at 11:08 PM Post #24 of 34
I was speaking as a person who has seen and heard both and finally chosen between the two. As I said in a previous post I wouldn't recommend a component just because I own it. As a mater of fact I also own Technics SL-PG 490 (basically the same as the 390 shown above but with remote and headphone out) and would not recommend it. Perhaps, if someone is looking for a player in the 100 USD range.
What IMO should not happen here is components being recommended on the basis of reviews read here and there. For me personally to even comment on a component I should have used it or at least done a careful audition in a propper environment. I usually state what is my experience with the stuff I'm commenting upon.
Most HiFi magazines are OK to read at the beach or when you have trouble falling asleep, but to make a purchase or even recomendation based on what they say... Best thing is go and listen for yourself, second best, ask around here (and get confused due to guys like me).
Perhaps the third option is to flip a coin
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2001 at 11:32 PM Post #25 of 34
Let me once again thank everyone for contributing to my confusion. As for suggestions, I think bryantf27 kinda nails it for me:
Quote:

Hell, I'm about to buy two pairs of headphones, and you've got a zillion! Why not buy both CDPs?

OK, here's where it stands now. I'm probably going to purchase a mint AMCCD8B for an excellent price ($130 shipped).....and I'm waiting for an e-mail from someone whose selling the Marantz CD6000OSE for $220 shipped. If it's still available, I'll pick that up as well. It will cost me $350 for both.......I don't think that's a bad deal. That will take care of both the living room and den set-ups. If I find I don't like either one, I'll hunt down a good price on a Cambridge, because I really do like the way it looks. But, of course, all this could change in the next few hours.......or minutes. This is really sick......but it is fun!
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2001 at 3:24 AM Post #28 of 34
Joe, I agree with KR, why don't you go to get a real good one? you can even go one more step up to get an SACD player, say, Sony C777ES (since it has been discontinued, you can get it much cheaper now), so you can make guys like McDEF who have C333ES really jealous
biggrin.gif

Otherwise, if you want to get a few mid-fi players, also consider my NAD C541, it is not worse than those players you are talking about.
wink.gif
If you take it, I will get a C777ES, haha
cool.gif

Jul 31, 2001 at 3:49 AM Post #30 of 34
But if I went out and bought a "real good" one (translation:"real expensive" one) now, then what would I have to look forward to?
wink.gif

Seriously, though, I actually do want more than one. I have a few different setups throughout the house. Right now, I have two carousels and two 110 disc changers in different rooms. I'm sure, unless I am miraculously cured of this damned disease, I'll be getting a few of the higher end ones in the not too distant future..........or unless my wife starts asking questions.
biggrin.gif

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back