AMC CD8B vs.Cambridge Audio D300SE........Opinions?
Jul 29, 2001 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
Well, I've begun to look at a new source for all these headphones and amps I've collected the past 5 months and I think I would like a single disc CDP for a chang. I have a lot of carousels and multi disc changers but none of them are considered "audiophile" quality, and they are used mostly for speaker listening. I really don't want to spend a heckuva lot, so I'd like to keep it under $300, if possible.
I can get the AMC for less than $200, here:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...sp?sku=AMCCD8B
or a Cambridge demo for $249, here:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...yer%20-%20Demo
Any one with experience with either or both out there?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2001 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 34
I second hongda.
While D300SE is very good budget player, D500 is better and now D500SE is supposed to be even better. Cambridge are genarally good sounding products. They're cheaply made on the outside but inside they're good.
Another alternative which may fit in your price range is Marantz CD6000. I have the OSE version which is more expensive, but the basic player is also very nice. On the cosmetic side you'll get much better looks and feel than Cambridge plus CD-RW playback and CD text too.

Jul 29, 2001 at 10:55 PM Post #4 of 34
I listened to an AMC unit. Not impressive at all. Sure, it has the 24/96 DAC, but does it upsample? I don't think it does and can't find it stated anywhere either. I'd be willing to bet that only 16-bit of the DAC are even connected.

The Cambridge D500SE is my office player. It does alot of things very well and is night and day closer to "audiophilia" than the AMC. Try www.spearitsound.com for the D500SE priced at $349 brand spankin new.

Brian.

Jul 29, 2001 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 34
OK....scratch the AMC. How come I knew that was gonna happen?
Between the Cambridge DS500SE @$349 or the Marantz CD6000OSE @$299 (B-Stock)......waddya think?
Are there any reviews on-line that anyone knows of?

Jul 29, 2001 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 34
JoeLW, I "third" the above. You can get a demo of the D500SE Silver for $339 from AudioAdvisor, which will be much better than either of the two you mentioned (and the silver one looks really cool
wink.gif
)

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...yer%20-%20Demo

Here's a little secret
smily_headphones1.gif
If you buy it from them before August 3 (this coming Friday) and enter "701DM10W" in the notes field of the online order form, you'll get another 10% off, so the total price would be $305.10. Definitely worth the extra $55!

Jul 29, 2001 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 34
I'd also look hard at a used '99 Ah! Tjoeb. I like that player alot and on the used market at Audiogon it'll be going for $330-$350.

FWIW.

Brian.

Jul 30, 2001 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 34
OK, if you can get the Marantz CD6000 OSE for 299, I'd suggest go for it. Marantz and Cambridge sound similarly good but Marantz wins with much better built. It feels like more expensive player and is very reliable.

Jul 30, 2001 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 34
KR,
Have you heard the Marantz?
What is this "I would go for the Cambridge Audio D 500SE if I were you" based upon.
I mean, if you recommend something it is good to motivate your recomendation somehow.
Just because we own or like some product/brand isn't enough IMO. I own equipment that I wouldn't recommend, but the Marantz certainly is worth recommending.
Compared to Cambridge Audio D500SE it has much better built and some goodies like CD-RW playback and CD text to boot. To my ears it also sounds slightly better but this is subjective. Some people on Audioreview have also mentioned a reliability problems with Cambridge products.
IMO the Marantz is overall classier player. It's retail price is also higher and 299 USD is a nice price. I dunno what was the original retail price in the US but in Europe it retails for 400-450 and is still going strong against the competiotion from Arcam, NAD etc.

Jul 30, 2001 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 34
Yep. Marantz is a product worth looking at. The Ah! Tjoeb is nothing more than a Marantz CDP that is modified to have a tube output stage. I was happy with a Marantz CD67SE for many years, too. And their high end is very good. I've never heard the particular model suggested, so can't recommend Cambridge over it, but can make a strong D500SE endorsement. And as another motivating factor, the 500SE and its predecesor the D500 have both been given Sterophile Class C status with the comment "It peforms to such a degree that you might not hear its full capabilities unless you use amplification of very high quality."

FWIW

Brian.

Jul 30, 2001 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 34
Thanks to all for responding with their suggestions......I really appreciate it. I'm leaning towards the Cambridge 500SE for two reasons:
1. I like the silver face.....a ridiculous reason, I know, but I am so tired of the all black look in components. Having gotten into stereo equipment in the late 60s, I still believe this stuff is supposed to be silver or gold.
2. Reviews that I've read on-line say it is an excellent player......having a sound akin to vinyl.
3. The price is in my range (thanks for the tip, MacDef)
BUT...I'm still interested in the Marantz 6000OSE for the following reasons:
1. Reputation and reviews of Marantz equipment.
2. Longer warranty (3 years)
3. Price.....I found one used (if it's still available), for $220 shipped. Supposedly mint condition, original packing, etc. and 2 1/2 years left on warranty.
The only downside I can find about the Marantz was a pro review, and some reviews at AudioReview which talked about its "aggressive" sound. I wonder if coupling this with Grados would be too much of a good thing?.......but that price!
Finally, I know I'd be happy with the highly recommended Denon 370, which many people here rave about, but I really don't want, or need, another multi-disc changer, as I have 5 of them already. I don't mind getting up to change a CD every 45 minutes or so.
Well, that's where it stands now. I'm going to pull the trigger soon, but on what, I'm not sure.
*****Damn.....just went to look at the Cambridge 500SE at AudioAdvisor........"NO LONGER AVAILABLE".......Man, now what?

Jul 30, 2001 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Damn.....just went to look at the Cambridge 500SE at AudioAdvisor........"NO LONGER AVAILABLE".......Man, now what?

LOL! Actually, just call them up, Joe. They always have demo units, and often the web site is updated slowly. I'm sure if they don't have one today, they'll have one soon.

Jul 30, 2001 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 34
briantf27, the web site you listed has it for $399. No mention anywhere that I can find for $349.
MacDef, they have one in black, but I'd like silver.
Thanks again for your input......................to complicate matters further, I just got an e-mail from someone willing to sell a mint AMCCD8B for $130........I don't know if I can pass that up. Even though it may not be as good as the Cambridge or the Marantz, it's gotta be a step up from my Sony carousels, Technics 110 disc changers, and assorted portables. And at $130.......I'm very tempted. I could always upgrade in the future........at the rate I'm going with all this stuff, that could be next week!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back