Amazon leaked info on Canon 40D & EOS 1ds Mark III 21 MP
Aug 22, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the support!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Well the 1D series and 5D does not have a AF assist lamp in the camera body like the Rebels/ 20D-40D. Having AF assist with just the speedlite is better IMO: more precise and there when you need it.

That's true, but those of use with speedlights then don't have to worry about it. I guess it's just forcing you get/use a speedlight then.

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #47 of 53
Well I had been wanting a D200 for some time. The constantly rising prices kept me waiting for them to recede back to the ~$1250 point they were at when I first started looking at DSLR's. But now the 40D really has me thinking Canon, even though I prefer the Nikon ergonomics. The 70-200mm F4 IS doesn't hurt either
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, I was thinking of switching back to Nikon with the D80 but that 40D sure is tempting. The viewfinders on most consumer DSLRs nowadays are so darned dim and small compared to the old film SLRs, that live view would be a very welcome addition for me. Not to mention 6.5 fps! I hope Nikon brings something similar to the table, though I expect a D3x and a D200s announcement before they even start contemplating an update for the D80
frown.gif
. That new 12.4mp, 10.4fps Sony sensor also looks quite tempting too though, wonder if it'll make it into a new Nikon...

You wont want to switch to canon. RUMOR (yes, RUMOR) has it Nikon's D3 will be FF Nikon sensor, with Hi ISO boost up to 12800, but it's prolly damn freaking noisy anyway. 50+ AF points, crossed view, 10fps with high speed crop equivalent to 1.5 FOV, you dont need to buy 2 cameras like canon to get speed and resolution. D300 will have similar focusing AI, 6 fps and 8fps with grip (going back to motor drive? hmmm) 12mpx. It's just rumor, for those who'd heard enough, u can disregard yet another rumor
tongue.gif

Well canon uses pre-flash for AF assist, and speedlite's near IR for AF assist. Nikon uses lamp on camera, external flash, as well as the SC-29 ttl cord
smily_headphones1.gif
Some people have been complaining about canon's AF assist system, and that you have to use a flash for remote commander. oh well...

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You wont want to switch to canon. RUMOR (yes, RUMOR) has it Nikon's D3 will be FF Nikon sensor, with Hi ISO boost up to 12800, but it's prolly damn freaking noisy anyway. 50+ AF points, crossed view, 10fps with high speed crop equivalent to 1.5 FOV, you dont need to buy 2 cameras like canon to get speed and resolution. D300 will have similar focusing AI, 6 fps and 8fps with grip (going back to motor drive? hmmm) 12mpx. It's just rumor, for those who'd heard enough, u can disregard yet another rumor
tongue.gif

Well canon uses pre-flash for AF assist, and speedlite's near IR for AF assist. Nikon uses lamp on camera, external flash, as well as the SC-29 ttl cord
smily_headphones1.gif
Some people have been complaining about canon's AF assist system, and that you have to use a flash for remote commander. oh well...

looks like nikon is going back on their words haha. also, hi iso boost means nothing its the same as boosting exposure after the shot in photoshop.

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by patalp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks like nikon is going back on their words haha. also, hi iso boost means nothing its the same as boosting exposure after the shot in photoshop.

I'm not gonna be involved in this Nikon Canon thing cause I don't give a rat's bum about one brand's advantages over the other, but I have to tell you ISO boost is very different from fixing exposure using photoshop. Don't ask me about details because I'm too lazy (and still sick) to explain thoroughly (usually they don't wanna listen anyway). But so that you know, it's different thing altogether.

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know Amazon doesn't. Some of their photographic equipment is handled by Adorama.....but it was specified that my 5D was coming from Amazon. It's Sovkiller who keeps on insisting that Amazon is not a dealer or retailer for anything they sell. Seems like he's on this Canon thread to gripe about his own frustrations with Amazon
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, back to Canon stuff......looks like there's lots of buzz on POTN for the 40D now.

Amazon do carry some body & lens. I got my Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS which I returned later on coming from amazon. Most likely if it's sold from amazon, it came with free shipping. Most items in Amazon carried by 2 or 3 vendors and you can choose where to buy it from.

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not gonna be involved in this Nikon Canon thing cause I don't give a rat's bum about one brand's advantages over the other, but I have to tell you ISO boost is very different from fixing exposure using photoshop. Don't ask me about details because I'm too lazy (and still sick) to explain thoroughly (usually they don't wanna listen anyway). But so that you know, it's different thing altogether.

Actually, ISO expansion is done in software in the camera. Regular ISO steps, up to 1600, are accomplished by cranking up the analog gain out ot the DAC. ISO expansion is done by adjusting the exposure in the camera software, then shifting the data by one bit. You can actually do the same thing in PS, with better results. Adjust your EC, then PP in PS.

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #53 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, ISO expansion is done in software in the camera. Regular ISO steps, up to 1600, are accomplished by cranking up the analog gain out ot the DAC. ISO expansion is done by adjusting the exposure in the camera software, then shifting the data by one bit. You can actually do the same thing in PS, with better results. Adjust your EC, then PP in PS.

Which is by the end of the day is what, different result isn't it?
wink.gif

ps: by the way is it true that Nikon will have product announcement tomorrow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back