Amazon leaked info on Canon 40D & EOS 1ds Mark III 21 MP
Aug 19, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 53
If the add was there, Canon paid Amazon to do it. Amazon do not advertise for free...and also charge a really good chunk of money for direct sales from dealers...what most of the times lead to a full MSRP or overpirced figures...

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon do not advertise for free...and also charge a really good chunk of money for direct sales from dealers...what most of the times lead to a full MSRP or overpirced figures...

I buy Canon gear from Amazon: which is less then MSRP and is usually less then B&H and comparable camera stores. Their sales from Canon bodies are not direct from Canon.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I buy Canon gear from Amazon: which is less then MSRP and is usually less then B&H and comparable camera stores. Their sales from Canon bodies are not direct from Canon.

I know that they can not be directly from Canon, that must be from a personal sales then, or at least not from a registered dealer (as dealer) from Amazon, a register dealer get 40% more or less commission fee, yes it that high!!! So they can not go lower than retail or they will loose money...mainly all sales done through Amazon from dealers are just to get exposure...not to make profits...and usually are returned, or B-Stock items sold as new!!!

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 53
Do any of you think the price of the 30D is going to drop any more? It's sitting at around $1000 right now...I'm thinking about finally upgrading but I'm not sure.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

So they can not go lower than retail or they will loose money...mainly all sales done through Amazon from dealers are just to get exposure...not to make profits...and usually are returned, or B-Stock items sold as new!!!

Eh, their pricing is similar to other online retailers....who are lower then MSRP. I got my Canon 5D from Amazon because it was $100 cheaper then B&H. The order was processed by Amazon and shipped from Amazon: not another linked retailer like they have for some other photographic equipment. Items I have received from Amazon have always been new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any of you think the price of the 30D is going to drop any more? It's sitting at around $1000 right now...I'm thinking about finally upgrading but I'm not sure.

I would think that at some point it will go down to what a new 20D got down to: about $800. But that would be after the rumored 40D has been out......keep saving dough for a 5D mk II
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 53
Quote:

Eh, their pricing is similar to other online retailers....who are lower then MSRP. I got my Canon 5D from Amazon because it was $100 cheaper then B&H. The order was processed by Amazon and shipped from Amazon: not another linked retailer like they have for some other photographic equipment. Items I have received from Amazon have always been new.

If you like contact Amazon and just enquire about being a dealer throught them, and ask for the fees, they will tell you how much you need to pay them to sell there, as a dealer, and later on, you can get all your answers straight....

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

I would think that at some point it will go down to what a new 20D got down to: about $800. But that would be after the rumored 40D has been out......keep saving dough for a 5D mk II
biggrin.gif

You know, full frame has never really attracted me simply because I like the reach of APS-C
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

If you like contact Amazon and just enquire about being a dealer throught them, and ask for the fees, they will tell you how much you need to pay them to sell there, as a dealer, and later on, you can get all your answers straight....

Amazon may not be the dealer for all equipment they sell, but they are an authorized Canon dealer....and ARE THE DEALER FOR CANON EOS dSLR bodies they sell. Sorry you got burned by them when you inquired about becoming a dealer for something else
rolleyes.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 53
The sRAW mode looks interesting, but I'm skeptical. The fact that it lessens the amount of pixels by a factor of 4 seems bogus. CCD/CMOS Digital cameras (excepting the Fovenon sensors) use Bayer interpolation on groups of 4 pixels: 2 green for color AND luminance info, 1 red, and 1 blue per cluster, because each pixel has a filter only allowing one specific range through. Bayer interpolation is used to reconstruct a full-color pixel for each, even though only one wavelength range was detected there.

Cutting the pixels by 75% is a terrible idea, and is in no way equivalent to full size RAW. For heaven's sake, that means the nice new 10.1 Mpxl sensor just became a 2.5 Mpxl sensor! I was sure Engadget misread it, but I have read it myself now - several times - and have no idea what Canon is playing at.

Perhaps somebody can enlighten me. Nikon has compressed RAW which reduces the filesize by about half - losslessly - so I just don't get it.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, full frame has never really attracted me simply because I like the reach of APS-C
smily_headphones1.gif

That's the one thing that struck me about the XTi when I started using it: boy, the viewfinder is so small and dim!!! Having a small compact body is good for toting around, but reach is over-rated IMO: give me big bright viewfinder and extra MPs and ISO of a FF
icon10.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 53
I loved & highly recommend amazon. I bought Canon 17-55 EF-S 2.8 IS from Amazon, I'm not satisfied with it & asked for refund and was ready to pay some fees since it was not their fault. However, I got full refund + free return shipping. I'll buy all my future lens from amazon.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTrumpet999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cutting the pixels by 75% is a terrible idea, and is in no way equivalent to full size RAW. For heaven's sake, that means the nice new 10.1 Mpxl sensor just became a 2.5 Mpxl sensor! I was sure Engadget misread it, but I have read it myself now - several times - and have no idea what Canon is playing at.

Perhaps somebody can enlighten me. Nikon has compressed RAW which reduces the filesize by about half - losslessly - so I just don't get it.

I didn't see much discription about what sRAW really is.....so all of this is speculation. But an image's pixels are those that have been processed and turned into the one pixel that comes from a Bayer's photosite. So perhaps sRAW is a file that has been processed, but has its own 12bpc or 14bpc color space. Staying lossless, but needing less info while retaining higher bit depth. With RAW, none of it is processed: the color info is exactly all those extra non-interpreted pixels you have in the photo-sites. So it's effectively 75% more resolution info then a real image format. Until we see any official literature on this sRAW format, it's all wild speculation anyway....but I would think you could save a lot of space by having a processed 12 or 14bpc file
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back