Amazon leaked info on Canon 40D & EOS 1ds Mark III 21 MP
Aug 20, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #31 of 53
Sweet. The 40D should be a nice all in one camera. I have 3 DSLRs already. Not sure I need another already.

The new lenses look interesting though.

Aug 20, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #32 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW Amazon accepted Canon as a dealer, (and not becoming an authorized dealer as you stated, is the other way around, Canon is a dealer in Amazon, not Amanzon a dealer for Canon, regardless of what they say) Amazon is never the dealer, they just sell online what other dealers list there...

Could you point me to any evidence that Canon is the EOS dealer on Amazon.com? I can't find anything when I google. On Canon's own website, they do not sell Canon EOS cameras. My Canon EOS camera came from an Amazon warehouse, and not a Canon warehouse. I also know that Amazon is an authorized dealer for Toshiba: especially HD DVD players.

Certainly, Amazon is not the dealer nor retailer for a lot of things that are on their website: all their in print books are handled by Borders for example (after previously being B&N). A lot of electronics accessories are from other retailers. Amazon started off by being an online retailer with many of their own warehouses. As they grew, they decided to get many affiliates to expand tenfold. Their business model is probably worst for the small businesses that do try to be one of their dealers (especially used books). I'm sure smaller businesses also would get burned by their fees: Amazon probably even levies fees for large businesses. But the fact that Amazon still has its warehouses (where my 5D came from BTW), leads me to believe that they are not just some listing service for dealers.

Aug 21, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #33 of 53
Hmmm.....photography and headphones/headamps,, expensive hobby :) .... I currently have the 20D which is a really nice camera, although I wish I have the bigger lcd like the 30D does. From the specs, there aren't really much of a difference between the 30D and 40D. It might be a good upgrade for the folks with the older rebel models..

Aug 21, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #34 of 53
Specs and how the images are one thing but the handling is another. For me that's a large factor if it's closer to 1D series since it matches my shooting style. It'll have the menus, larger body size, better AF points, faster frame rate etc. The live view should allow you to do things the other cameras cannot also which opens up new ways of doing things. I see it as being more stealth and quieter.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #35 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Specs and how the images are one thing but the handling is another. For me that's a large factor if it's closer to 1D series since it matches my shooting style. It'll have the menus, larger body size, better AF points, faster frame rate etc. The live view should allow you to do things the other cameras cannot also which opens up new ways of doing things. I see it as being more stealth and quieter.

is the AF susposed to be better on the 40D? to me this is the major limitation of the prosumer line. Canon bring us the MK3N in the 40D!
evil_smiley.gif

74748349.i0WWdFmg.jpg

edit: the price of the 14mmLII is still painful, it iwll be interesting to see how much Canon improved it

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly, Amazon is not the dealer nor retailer for a lot of things that are on their website: all their in print books are handled by Borders for example (after previously being B&N). A lot of electronics accessories are from other retailers. Amazon started off by being an online retailer with many of their own warehouses. As they grew, they decided to get many affiliates to expand tenfold. Their business model is probably worst for the small businesses that do try to be one of their dealers (especially used books). I'm sure smaller businesses also would get burned by their fees: Amazon probably even levies fees for large businesses. But the fact that Amazon still has its warehouses (where my 5D came from BTW), leads me to believe that they are not just some listing service for dealers.

Don't get fooled by the packaging, sometimes while you sell as a dealer in Amazon, you have to use their regulations for packaging, and sometimes they even make you use their own boxes with the Amazon logo on top...

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #37 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't get fooled by the packaging, sometimes while you sell as a dealer in Amazon, you have to use their regulations for packaging, and sometimes they even make you use their own boxes with the Amazon logo on top...

You're still avoiding the question.....where is your proof in your statement that Canon is Amazon's dealer? Amazon has 6 warehouses....over 3 million square feet. My 5D came from one of them.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #38 of 53
Quote:

You're still avoiding the question.....where is your proof in your statement that Canon is Amazon's dealer? Amazon has 6 warehouses....over 3 million square feet. My 5D came from one of them.

i dont think Amazon is drop shipping from Canon, if Amazon sells the item they stock it. if Amazon doesnt stock it then they host a product page for another vendor and take a commision for the sale. Amazon clearly states who is selling and shipping the product, FWIW ive never recieved an item thru Amazon form a different vendor that shipped in an Amazon box.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is the AF susposed to be better on the 40D? to me this is the major limitation of the prosumer line. Canon bring us the MK3N in the 40D!
evil_smiley.gif

Well the 40D will have better AF than 5D in that it's focus points are more sensitive. There will still be less than the 1D series. 9 vs 45.

5D being full frame is still a different market than 40D. I doubt 5D prices will drop much unless a new 5D comes out as that would be it's only competition. 5D will still probably cost more than 30D/40D though.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

i dont think Amazon is drop shipping from Canon, if Amazon sells the item they stock it.

I know Amazon doesn't. Some of their photographic equipment is handled by Adorama.....but it was specified that my 5D was coming from Amazon. It's Sovkiller who keeps on insisting that Amazon is not a dealer or retailer for anything they sell. Seems like he's on this Canon thread to gripe about his own frustrations with Amazon
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, back to Canon stuff......looks like there's lots of buzz on POTN for the 40D now.

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

Well the 40D will have better AF than 5D in that it's focus points are more sensitive. There will still be less than the 1D series. 9 vs 45.

I haven't seen any data on the entire configuration of the 40D: it's supposed to be the first dSLR to have a diagonal center AF point. However, I have not seen any specs saying that it has the same number of invisible center AF points that the 5D has (which that distinguished it from the 30D). Of course, for me the best thing about the 5D is that its AF assist is like any pro camera: handled by the speedlite flash

Quote:

5D being full frame is still a different market than 40D. I doubt 5D prices will drop much unless a new 5D comes out as that would be it's only competition. 5D will still probably cost more than 30D/40D though.

Prices have been dropping on the 5D by a few bucks. Certainly prices won't drop because of the 40D. I suspect it will be a little while before Canon comes out with the 5D mkII: they have to be sure that the flagship FF, the 1Ds mkIII, has been out for several months. It also is filling a gap in the product line.....but I admit that I will be giddy when the next 5D comes out
icon10.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

I haven't seen any data on the entire configuration of the 40D: it's supposed to be the first dSLR to have a diagonal center AF point. However, I have not seen any specs saying that it has the same number of invisible center AF points that the 5D has (which that distinguished it from the 30D). Of course, for me the best thing about the 5D is that its AF assist is like any pro camera: handled by the speedlite flash

Wait, aren't all Canon cameras AF-assisted by the Speedlight? I know my XT does...

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

I know Amazon doesn't. Some of their photographic equipment is handled by Adorama.....but it was specified that my 5D was coming from Amazon. It's Sovkiller who keeps on insisting that Amazon is not a dealer or retailer for anything they sell. Seems like he's on this Canon thread to gripe about his own frustrations with Amazon
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, back to Canon stuff......looks like there's lots of buzz on POTN for the 40D now.

i wasnt trying to discredit you, just agreeing with your opinion.

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

i wasnt trying to discredit you, just agreeing with your opinion.

thanks for the support!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, aren't all Canon cameras AF-assisted by the Speedlight? I know my XT does...

Well the 1D series and 5D does not have a AF assist lamp in the camera body like the Rebels/ 20D-40D. Having AF assist with just the speedlite is better IMO: more precise and there when you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back