Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #1,832 of 2,015
Try going to your settings and changing the playback mode from "HD" to "Standard". I'm not joking... I preferred Tidal in Kernal Streaming mode from Audrivana over Amazon until I switched to "Standard Mode". Now Amazon is at least equal sonically....

Standard playback mode must be technically inferior but to my ears it is such an improvement. It is less bright, and more focused than "HD" mode. Tonally I prefer it and detail is exactly the same as HD mode IMHO.
You do know that the Standard setting is basically MP3 at 320?

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #1,833 of 2,015
I use the Amazon app. on the Source PC to instruct the download, but I direct the download to my second PC which is also connected to the same router, but on the other side of the room. The following video instructed me how to do this. Then I play music from Amazon desktop program on my source PC- but the music is being fetched from the hard drive of my fanless second PC where I originally placed the download which is connected to the same network. In other words, my second PC is being uses as a NAS. The results are both fuller and more analogue sound, and noticeably better detail than when streaming direct.

Hey, can more than one device access the downloaded files on your NAS? Or just the main PC?

To clarify, can I run Amazon HD on a laptop for example and find music files on the PC server?

By the way, if you are really sophisticated you can can configure the. PC in a RAID array. But it is much easier to do that on a dedicated NAS. I can also access my NAS remotely for a number of uses including high quality music streaming.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #1,835 of 2,015
Hey, can more than one device access the downloaded files on your NAS? Or just the main PC?
The music labels are very strict in their licensing agreements about how streaming services must handle downloaded files. Usually the file will be DRM encoded so that it can only be played by the same app that downloaded it.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #1,837 of 2,015
You can have multiple instances of amazon player (single account) playing offline (downloaded) files, but only one instance streaming online.
Family plan allows multiple streaming instances.
But if one instance downloads a file to a NAS, can any other instance play that downloaded file? This was the question that was asked.

Feb 9, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #1,839 of 2,015
Amazon Music's Windows app was updated today, and now the playing times of songs have stopped being displayed. Anybody else having that problem?
Same here :angry:

Feb 9, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #1,840 of 2,015
Amazon Music's Windows app was updated today, and now the playing times of songs have stopped being displayed. Anybody else having that problem?
If you hover your mouse over the bottom part of the player where the music controls are, the timer appears in the bottom right corner of the window.

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #1,841 of 2,015
Same here :angry:
They added podcasts, and took away playing time listings. Really though, it has to be some kind of database glitch. I chatted with support and they just said they would inform "the team". I tried two of the three things they recommend, to no avail. I didn't delete the data folder, but I doubt it would have worked.

There are three different ways to refresh data.

1. Sign Out and Sign In to the Amazon Music app to enable a library resync and refresh data.
  2. Remove the Data folderthat is in the following locations:
    1. Windows: Click the start menu and in the search box type: %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Amazon Music\Data and hit enter.
    2. Mac: In Finder, type shift-command-g to open "go to folder" window and type: ~/Library/Application Support/Amazon Music/Data
  3. Go to Profile > Preferences > Advanced > Reload My Music? and click on Start Reload.

Feb 9, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #1,842 of 2,015
If you hover your mouse over the bottom part of the player where the music controls are, the timer appears in the bottom right corner of the window.
Yes, you can see the playing time by doing that after the track starts playing, but there's obviously a problem:
1644434583193.png

Feb 9, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #1,843 of 2,015
it shows how long the track's been playing and how much is left to go - only way of getting the total duration is add the two, which is just plain silly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back