Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #1,861 of 1,996
The only way I know of is to get one of the bluesound devices to stream in place of the computer. Afaik, Amazon does not have the equivalent of Spotify connect with its apps.
Can you store offline music on the bluesound node 2?

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #1,863 of 1,996
Does the fiio link works fine on an android Phone? For example, the fiio dap is connected to a high-end external dac via usb. Then you can control the playback with your Phone via fiio link?

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #1,864 of 1,996
Does the fiio link works fine on an android Phone? For example, the fiio dap is connected to a high-end external dac via usb. Then you can control the playback with your Phone via fiio link?
I have never tried that function tbh, so I can't say. It does work fine as far as the usb digital out to a dac, but I am so close to it I don't have need of the link function. But it should work. I dug in a little, and it looks like the control signals can be sent to the m11 via either bt or wifi.

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #1,865 of 1,996
I wanted to try if I can control the playback with the smartphone but if it reduces the sound quality then I do not want that. I do not think I will spend another 500 euro extra for a streamer.

I am going to see if the sound improves when I use offline streaming with hi-res audio files.

You might want to read https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../confirmed-bit-perfect-amazon-music-hd.34252/ ?
The WiiM Mini Streamer is less than 100 euro. I paid 10,000 yen here in Japan, which is about 70 eruo, I think. Incredible value.

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #1,866 of 1,996
It didn't seem to work that way on my system. I have a Mojo 2 which auto-adjusts to the incoming sample rate. But the Mojo only recognized the sample rate setting in Windows, whether Exclusive mode was enabled on the Amazon app or not.
With setting the DAC's sample rate I meant setting it on the OS level (e.g. Windows sound settings).
Basically the Amazon app just looks at what bit depth and sample rate are set for the DAC on the OS level, then when you pick a song the app picks the highest quality version that is at that or a lower bit depth and sample rate, and then sends it to the OS, which upsamples if there's a mismatch.

So if you set your DAC (in Windows) to 16 bit, 96 kHz, the app would skip a 24 bit, 192 kHz version of the track and may instead choose a 16 bit, 44.1 kHz version, send that to Windows, Windows resamples it to 24 bit, 96 kHz and sends it to your DAC. If you set your DAC in Windows to 24 bit, 192 kHz it will pick the 24 bit, 192 kHz track and send that to Windows. Windows won't resample or otherwise alter it (with exclusive mode), but may alter parts of it (without exclusive mode) depending on how loud a section is or what other apps are playing audio (to avoid clipping, presumably).

When you then switch to a track that has a 24 bit, 96 kHz version as the highest quality, the app will send that to Windows and Windows will resample it to 192 kHz since that's what your DAC (in Windows) is still set to.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #1,867 of 1,996
With setting the DAC's sample rate I meant setting it on the OS level (e.g. Windows sound settings).
Basically the Amazon app just looks at what bit depth and sample rate are set for the DAC on the OS level, then when you pick a song the app picks the highest quality version that is at that or a lower bit depth and sample rate, and then sends it to the OS, which upsamples if there's a mismatch.

So if you set your DAC (in Windows) to 16 bit, 96 kHz, the app would skip a 24 bit, 192 kHz version of the track and may instead choose a 16 bit, 44.1 kHz version, send that to Windows, Windows resamples it to 24 bit, 96 kHz and sends it to your DAC. If you set your DAC in Windows to 24 bit, 192 kHz it will pick the 24 bit, 192 kHz track and send that to Windows. Windows won't resample or otherwise alter it (with exclusive mode), but may alter parts of it (without exclusive mode) depending on how loud a section is or what other apps are playing audio (to avoid clipping, presumably).

When you then switch to a track that has a 24 bit, 96 kHz version as the highest quality, the app will send that to Windows and Windows will resample it to 192 kHz since that's what your DAC (in Windows) is still set to.
That's right. I can see 192 kHz on the rme adi-2 pro dac display.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #1,868 of 1,996
Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #1,869 of 1,996
It looks great! The wiim mini streamer has optical output so you can connect it to a dac. Would usb output be better? It does play bit perfect? And you can control it with an app.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-review-streamer.33099/
I use optical out to a Mojo 2, but you can use USB. With the Mojo, optical is definitely the better solution, but with other dac/amps I'm not sure.

Edit: actually, I think USB is only for charging. You have to use optical or aux to connect to a dac.

Yes, it outputs bit perfect.

You can use the WiiM app to control your music or you can use the native Amazon app, which it supports. The WiiM app supports just about every streaming platform too and can even be used with Roon. That article says it doesn't, but I've heard from others that Roon will recognize it.

I have a 512gb SD card on my laptop that I can access through the WiiM app, so I tend to use that for both my local music and Amazon. Having said that, the Amazon app is better, especially for music discovery.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #1,870 of 1,996
I had problems signing up before but today I was able to get the trial started. Navigation and UX is atrocious!

Anybody have the secret sauce to add an Artist to "My Music?"

I'm using BluOS mostly, but even on the webapp I have only choices in the 3 dots to share or play similar.

Should there be something like Artist or Album in the choices here?

I don't want playlists, stations, charts, recommended, or new. I just want to pick the artists I like and save them somehow.

1668970322261.png

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #1,871 of 1,996
Of course it's subjective, but in theory AIFF is superior to FLAC because it is uncompressed and of master quality. I have also listened straight from Qobuz and it sounds worse than AIFF. It's all subjective. I understand that. But again, subjectively, Amazon sounds better.

FLAC is uncompressed and it's bit perfect. It is just a container and can handle any practical sample rate PCM.

I can rip a CD to PCM, encode it with FLAC, decode it to PCM, and then do a bitwise comparison of the original PCM and the PCM recovered from FLAC, and they are identical. There is nothing subjective about it.

Amazon does not do bit perfect streaming. Their exclusive mode still doesn't work.

They do, but their apps don't. As people have mentioned, it's bitperfect over BluOS devices and I guess also whatever other streamers support it.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #1,872 of 1,996

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #1,873 of 1,996
FLAC is uncompressed and it's bit perfect. It is just a container and can handle any practical sample rate PCM.

I can rip a CD to PCM, encode it with FLAC, decode it to PCM, and then do a bitwise comparison of the original PCM and the PCM recovered from FLAC, and they are identical. There is nothing subjective about it.

They do, but their apps don't. As people have mentioned, it's bitperfect over BluOS devices and I guess also whatever other streamers support it.
"Overall, one major way FLAC differs from AIFF is in terms of storage space. FLAC deals with compressing the audio file as much as it can without any loss of quality in the audio. The AIFF file format, on the other hand, is not about compression. Instead, it is focused on rendering the music as accurately as possible" so in "theory" AIFF may be superior.

Nov 20, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #1,874 of 1,996
I don't want playlists, stations, charts, recommended, or new. I just want to pick the artists I like and save them somehow.
I am using playlists with the songs I like but one way I have found to add an Artist to my Library/Music is to go to the Artist's profile and add an Album in my Library, using the + button. Then the Artist appears in my Library. If you like their entire Discography you can add all of their albums. Try also following those you like.

Nov 20, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #1,875 of 1,996
"Overall, one major way FLAC differs from AIFF is in terms of storage space. FLAC deals with compressing the audio file as much as it can without any loss of quality in the audio. The AIFF file format, on the other hand, is not about compression. Instead, it is focused on rendering the music as accurately as possible" so in "theory" AIFF may be superior.

No, bitperfect is bitperfect. All lossless formats are functionally identical. This is a typical response from Apple where they come up with their own versions of everything whether anybody needs it or not. The hifi world is based on FLAC. If AIFF went away tomorrow, nobody would miss it at all.

I have about 1,5T of FLAC and 0 bytes of AIFF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back