1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by gemNeye, Apr 26, 2019.
First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last
  1. iridium7777
    another built-in flaw with amazon? any other music app that i have will automatically detect the sampling rates of my DAC and still *will only play at the max sample rate of the actual sample music*. it seems like what you're saying amazon requires you to pre-select some sample rate from your dac and will output that to that rate no matter what the original sample is?

2. Ken G
    So most other services like Tidal, Qobuz, Roon, Audirvana are able to bypass the "system" sample rate by allowing you to select the device from within the application and it will play bit perfect music to that device. Since Amazon doesn't allow you to select the device, it defaults to whatever you set the system sample rate to.

dbturbo2, exdmd and MrPanda like this.
  3. csglinux
    Nice post(s). You convinced me to un-cancel my Tidal subscription :)

SeeSax and 211276 like this.
  4. CANiSLAYu
    Well, I did my part:

Dtuck90, tomwoo, Left Channel and 3 others like this.
  5. gefski
    You did!

Hilarious response -- 100+ words to say "Thanks, we''ll look into that." :face_palm:

Surprised they didn't wish you, your family, and your friends and associates health, joy, love, and success in all their endeavors for many long years.

SeeSax and CANiSLAYu like this.
  6. mixman
    Yep not sure I am holding my breath for bit perfect from Amazon. They are targeting a far larger market than us niche audiophiles. The HD thing is to just try and dominate the market and appear that they are giving you better service options than Apple Music and Spotify. If and only if they think they can make money will they address our issues. Tidal and Qobuz aren’t even on their radar for comparison purposes. Hell they might even suggest you go to them if your really need a bit perfect app and if by chance they do ever add that feature it will not be because we asked, but because they can make money from it.

exdmd likes this.
  7. tomwoo
    I still can't believe Amazon released their app without carefully examining Tidal's. After all there are not too many streaming services providing 'Hires' music. I doubt it is technically challenging for them to incorporate bit-perfect playback to their app. I won't stay if they can't get it right in free trial period.:deadhorse:

Ken G and imackler like this.
  8. mixman
    As I mentioned above, Tidal is not even on Amazon's map, they could care less what they do. They are as concerned with Tidal as GM is concerned about Lamborghini.

Actually, the best case scenario is if enough of the Tech and Audio press gives the Amazon HD service enough negative or mediocre reviews and they think their bottom line is affected, then they will implement the feature in the near future.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    imackler likes this.
  9. tomwoo
    I wouldn't say they don't care about Tidal, many people didn't even know CD quality streaming was a thing before Tidal. Amazon must have done enough research about Tidal and other high quality music streaming services before rolling out their own version. I hope they could at least put MQA nonsense out of business.

10. kdbur
    Hi, I am a qobuz user who plays 'exclusive mode to my outboard dac but I am looking at this Amazon offer and I understand it doesn't offer a 'bit perfect' option as yet but I do have a question which I really should know the answer to but i don't, so any answers would be appreciated.....

My MSI PC has a 'sabre' audio dac installed and my Win10 system offers me a few audio options up to 24/192 as default but does this mean if i choose the 24/192 as default everything will play at that sample rate or does it mean it will only play that if I play a 24/192 track but automatically play 16/44 or 16/48 or 24/96 when I play these tracks?

Thanks for any answers!

11. exdmd
    Since Amazon Music HD uses Windows Sound Mixer in shared mode I believe if you set the system audio at 24/192 (I do) your laptop upsamples everything to 24/192 when you are using Amazon, at least that is what my Yggy is telling me. When I use Audirvana+ streaming Qobuz my DAC reports the correct sampling rate as Audirvana+ uses Wasapi Exclusive mode. I could be wrong about the upsampling though. Amazon sound quality is inferior to Qobuz so I am not using it much.

kdbur likes this.
  12. Left Channel
    Reports I've seen indicate it will upsample everything to 24/192 in that case. It will also allow system sounds, videos on web pages, and other audio to interfere with your music. It will still likely sound better than Apple Music or Spotify, but it will not sound better than Qobuz or Tidal, and that is why I'm saving my trial months for when — or if — Amazon supports ASIO, WASAPI Exclusive, and other basics.

exdmd, Ken G, tomwoo and 2 others like this.
  13. brianlg
    Does anyone know what Standard quality means in their app? HD and Ultra HD show the sample rate and bit depth, but standard shows no such info. Is it 320? Is it mp3? Could it vary?

Also, they need to incorporate custom sorting, because seeing albums by "most popular" is ridiculous.

So far I'm excited though. The price point is great coming from paying $20/mo for years.

14. Ken G
    It is mp3 which Amazon has encoded as 256 I believe.

senorx12562 likes this.
  15. Andrew_WOT
    That's the best course of action right now or you will face quality degrading oversampling. Bit depth can be kept at 24bit but adjust sample rate to the played track for best possible quality.
    And don't forget to contact Amazon customer service with request to support exclusive mode WASAPI, ASIO. The more of us complain the better the chances to have it done sooner than later.

First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last