Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Sep 20, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #166 of 2,016
I just tried it and it won't work testing what the true bit rate is from Amazon music because of the system sample rate as you mentioned. If you play "HD" (ie, 16/44 CD quality) it will always show as the sample rate that you set in the MIDI (on a MAC). I tried 192kHz, 352kHz and 384kHz and the DAC always displayed whatever the system sample rate was.

another built-in flaw with amazon? any other music app that i have will automatically detect the sampling rates of my DAC and still *will only play at the max sample rate of the actual sample music*. it seems like what you're saying amazon requires you to pre-select some sample rate from your dac and will output that to that rate no matter what the original sample is?

Sep 20, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #167 of 2,016
another built-in flaw with amazon? any other music app that i have will automatically detect the sampling rates of my DAC and still *will only play at the max sample rate of the actual sample music*. it seems like what you're saying amazon requires you to pre-select some sample rate from your dac and will output that to that rate no matter what the original sample is?

So most other services like Tidal, Qobuz, Roon, Audirvana are able to bypass the "system" sample rate by allowing you to select the device from within the application and it will play bit perfect music to that device. Since Amazon doesn't allow you to select the device, it defaults to whatever you set the system sample rate to.

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #168 of 2,016
This is an indicator of Amazon's direction:
https://www.whathifi.com/news/first-wave-of-product-support-for-amazon-music-hd-confirmed
Amazon had coordinated the HD rollout with hardware manufacturers. Amazon is focusing on connected devices, which is an expanding market and becoming a mainstream source of audio. They don't care about the small and stagnant market that connects computers and phones to hi-res outboard DACs.

Regarding opening their API, I posted this in another thread:

Amazon, like Spotify and Apple Music, will not integrate with Roon or Audirvana. It is not about access to music files. They want control over the user experience for business reasons — user profiling, individual targeting, data collection, etc.

Tidal and Qobuz allow 3rd party integration because they are very small businesses and need to attract every customer they can. Some perspective about how small these businesses are... Tidal has such a small market share (less than 1%) that it is often not even mentioned in survey reports about the streaming music industry. Even Pandora and Deezer are many times the size of Tidal. And Tidal dwarfs the size of Qobuz. In August, Qobuz announced that they have signed up 25,000 paying customers in the US. Think about it... half of a football stadium. So Tidal is a roundoff error in the industry, and Qobuz is barely detectable noise. I'd like smaller businesses to succeed but it will be a tough road ahead.

Nice post(s). You convinced me to un-cancel my Tidal subscription :)

Sep 20, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #169 of 2,016
Well, I did my part:

Thanks for writing with suggestion about Music desktop app and Mobile music app to improve Amazon music experience.

I understand that you wish to have, bit-perfect output and exclusive mode in Music desktop app. Also, controlling music desktop app with Smartphone.

I do understand that, that you wish Amazon Music mobile app to support for output to an external DAC/third party apps.

I appreciate you for providing these very useful options.

I've forwarded your issue as feedback to our Amazon business team so that they will take this into consideration and I know they'll want to read about your expectation.

We definitely value your opinion and will continue to listen and respond to our customers' concerns.

Feedback from long standing customers like you will really help us in making the right changes and improvements. I've sent this to the right teams for future consideration. They are actively engaged regarding the issue and to resolve in the near future.

I really appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter and We look forward to seeing you again soon.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,

Sep 20, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #170 of 2,016
Well, I did my part:

You did!

Hilarious response -- 100+ words to say "Thanks, we''ll look into that." :face_palm:

Surprised they didn't wish you, your family, and your friends and associates health, joy, love, and success in all their endeavors for many long years.

Sep 20, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #171 of 2,016
This is an indicator of Amazon's direction:
https://www.whathifi.com/news/first-wave-of-product-support-for-amazon-music-hd-confirmed
Amazon had coordinated the HD rollout with hardware manufacturers. Amazon is focusing on connected devices, which is an expanding market and becoming a mainstream source of audio. They don't care about the small and stagnant market that connects computers and phones to hi-res outboard DACs.

Regarding opening their API, I posted this in another thread:
Yep not sure I am holding my breath for bit perfect from Amazon. They are targeting a far larger market than us niche audiophiles. The HD thing is to just try and dominate the market and appear that they are giving you better service options than Apple Music and Spotify. If and only if they think they can make money will they address our issues. Tidal and Qobuz aren’t even on their radar for comparison purposes. Hell they might even suggest you go to them if your really need a bit perfect app and if by chance they do ever add that feature it will not be because we asked, but because they can make money from it.

Sep 20, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #172 of 2,016
I still can't believe Amazon released their app without carefully examining Tidal's. After all there are not too many streaming services providing 'Hires' music. I doubt it is technically challenging for them to incorporate bit-perfect playback to their app. I won't stay if they can't get it right in free trial period.:deadhorse:

Sep 21, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #173 of 2,016
I still can't believe Amazon released their app without carefully examining Tidal's. After all there are not too many streaming services providing 'Hires' music. I doubt it is technically challenging for them to incorporate bit-perfect playback to their app. I won't stay if they can't get it right in free trial period.:deadhorse:
As I mentioned above, Tidal is not even on Amazon's map, they could care less what they do. They are as concerned with Tidal as GM is concerned about Lamborghini.

Actually, the best case scenario is if enough of the Tech and Audio press gives the Amazon HD service enough negative or mediocre reviews and they think their bottom line is affected, then they will implement the feature in the near future.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #174 of 2,016
As I mentioned above, Tidal is not even on Amazon's map, they could care less what they do. They are as concerned with Tidal as GM is concerned about Lamborghini.

Actually, the best case scenario is if enough of the Tech and Audio press gives the Amazon HD service enough negative or mediocre reviews and they think their bottom line is affected, then they will implement the feature in the near future.
I wouldn't say they don't care about Tidal, many people didn't even know CD quality streaming was a thing before Tidal. Amazon must have done enough research about Tidal and other high quality music streaming services before rolling out their own version. I hope they could at least put MQA nonsense out of business.

Sep 21, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #175 of 2,016
Hi, I am a qobuz user who plays 'exclusive mode to my outboard dac but I am looking at this Amazon offer and I understand it doesn't offer a 'bit perfect' option as yet but I do have a question which I really should know the answer to but i don't, so any answers would be appreciated.....

My MSI PC has a 'sabre' audio dac installed and my Win10 system offers me a few audio options up to 24/192 as default but does this mean if i choose the 24/192 as default everything will play at that sample rate or does it mean it will only play that if I play a 24/192 track but automatically play 16/44 or 16/48 or 24/96 when I play these tracks?

Thanks for any answers!

Sep 21, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #176 of 2,016
Since Amazon Music HD uses Windows Sound Mixer in shared mode I believe if you set the system audio at 24/192 (I do) your laptop upsamples everything to 24/192 when you are using Amazon, at least that is what my Yggy is telling me. When I use Audirvana+ streaming Qobuz my DAC reports the correct sampling rate as Audirvana+ uses Wasapi Exclusive mode. I could be wrong about the upsampling though. Amazon sound quality is inferior to Qobuz so I am not using it much.

Sep 21, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #177 of 2,016
Hi, I am a qobuz user who plays 'exclusive mode to my outboard dac but I am looking at this Amazon offer and I understand it doesn't offer a 'bit perfect' option as yet but I do have a question which I really should know the answer to but i don't, so any answers would be appreciated.....

My MSI PC has a 'sabre' audio dac installed and my Win10 system offers me a few audio options up to 24/192 as default but does this mean if i choose the 24/192 as default everything will play at that sample rate or does it mean it will only play that if I play a 24/192 track but automatically play 16/44 or 16/48 or 24/96 when I play these tracks?

Thanks for any answers!

Since Amazon Music HD uses Windows Sound Mixer in shared mode I believe if you set the system audio at 24/192 (I do) your laptop upsamples everything to 24/192 when you are using Amazon, at least that is what my Yggy is telling me. When I use Audirvana+ streaming Qobuz my DAC reports the correct sampling rate as Audirvana+ uses Wasapi Exclusive mode. I could be wrong about the upsampling though. Amazon sound quality is inferior to Qobuz so I am not using it much.

Reports I've seen indicate it will upsample everything to 24/192 in that case. It will also allow system sounds, videos on web pages, and other audio to interfere with your music. It will still likely sound better than Apple Music or Spotify, but it will not sound better than Qobuz or Tidal, and that is why I'm saving my trial months for when — or if — Amazon supports ASIO, WASAPI Exclusive, and other basics.

Sep 21, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #178 of 2,016
Does anyone know what Standard quality means in their app? HD and Ultra HD show the sample rate and bit depth, but standard shows no such info. Is it 320? Is it mp3? Could it vary?

Also, they need to incorporate custom sorting, because seeing albums by "most popular" is ridiculous.

So far I'm excited though. The price point is great coming from paying $20/mo for years.

Sep 21, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #179 of 2,016
Does anyone know what Standard quality means in their app? HD and Ultra HD show the sample rate and bit depth, but standard shows no such info. Is it 320? Is it mp3? Could it vary?

Also, they need to incorporate custom sorting, because seeing albums by "most popular" is ridiculous.

So far I'm excited though. The price point is great coming from paying $20/mo for years.
It is mp3 which Amazon has encoded as 256 I believe.

Sep 21, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #180 of 2,016
That's the best course of action right now or you will face quality degrading oversampling. Bit depth can be kept at 24bit but adjust sample rate to the played track for best possible quality.
And don't forget to contact Amazon customer service with request to support exclusive mode WASAPI, ASIO. The more of us complain the better the chances to have it done sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back