Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Jan 15, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #1,501 of 2,017
So is Amazon now sending tracks unmolested to the USB port on Android to feed an external DAC the same way UAPP does?
I doubt it

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,502 of 2,017
So is Amazon now sending tracks unmolested to the USB port on Android to feed an external DAC the same way UAPP does?
I doubt it
I think you are correct. I just upgraded my Amazon Music Unlimited plan to HD again and it did not work properly out of my V60 or OnePlus 8T to my Dragonfly Cobalt or Aurender Flow. The app showed it was playing 44.1 khz at 44.1khz but my Flow was showing 192khz. Indicator on Cobalt wasnt changing when I switched tracks either. Both phones/DACs work when I use UAPP/Qobuz, which I am not planning on renewing next month (Qobuz has great SQ but too many gaps in catalog and I want more radio features).

A bit disappointed that Amazon doesnt seem to be bypassing Android like UAPP (it does identify the device capability correctly at least) but not the end of the world since I am just working from home for the foreseeable future and use my Node 2is in my desktop and living room setups.

Seems like that popup showing the sample rate the track is currently playing at is not always accurate (i.e. does not reflect what Android is actually playing). It is unfortunate that this has not been resolved since it has been an issue since launch.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #1,503 of 2,017
I'll stay put with Tidal then

Thanks

Jan 15, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,505 of 2,017
Post #1487 on the previous page seems to imply exactly the opposite.

Yes; I saw that which is why I decided to try it. Would be curious if it is just me and if it is working fine for others.

I am just using Node 2i at home right now so not a deal breaker for me but may start caring whenever I start commuting again.

Jan 15, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #1,506 of 2,017
Yes; I saw that which is why I decided to try it. Would be curious if it is just me and if it is working fine for others.

I am just using Node 2i at home right now so not a deal breaker for me but may start caring whenever I start commuting again.

I just tested my Nvidia Shield Tablet with my iFi Zen DAC and got 24/192 from Amazon (and the yellow light on the DAC). So it seems to work for me. The tablet runs Android 7.0 - I would think newer versions would work as well (if they support OTG mode).

Update:
When I play a 44.1 track the Zen Dac light stays yellow, so it must be upsampling to 192 for lower bitrates.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #1,507 of 2,017
I just tested my Nvidia Shield Tablet with my iFi Zen DAC and got 24/192 from Amazon (and the yellow light on the DAC). So it seems to work for me. The tablet runs Android 7.0 - I would think newer versions would work as well (if they support OTG mode).

Update:
When I play a 44.1 track the Zen Dac light stays yellow, so it must be upsampling to 192 for lower bitrates.
Yes. that is what I saw too. I was able to play 24/192 correctly but, when I switched to 24/44.1,for example, the DAC still shows 192khz so Amazon seems to upsample everything. Node 2i still seems to work great though (no resampling).

Jan 15, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #1,508 of 2,017
Yes. that is what I saw too. I was able to play 24/192 correctly but, when I switched to 24/44.1,for example, the DAC still shows 192khz so Amazon seems to upsample everything. Node 2i still seems to work great though (no resampling).

I'm not sure that upsampling is bad, but I would prefer bitperfect. One advantage of Amazon's approach is that you don't get any noise/clicks/pops due to sample rate changes between tracks. I often experience this with UAPP.

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #1,509 of 2,017
I'm not sure that upsampling is bad, but I would prefer bitperfect. One advantage of Amazon's approach is that you don't get any noise/clicks/pops due to sample rate changes between tracks. I often experience this with UAPP.

My point was that it is not bitperfect and is resampling, which is not what the previous post seemed to imply. Maybe it just doesn't work with all DACs (mine included) but works for others? I dont know the answer to that but thought I would pose the question here so others can share their experiences.

I hear you on the noises for sample rate changes. I found some DACs handle that better than others and it may be an issue with the design or firmware (the person I spoke with at Grace Design seemed to think it may be firmware related). I am using the Aurender Flow and Dragonfly Cobalt for IEMs because they do not pop or skip on sample rate changes. My Grace m900 went back in the closet because, while it can handle sample rate changes perfectly over USB, it popped dangerously loudly when using it via coax/toslink (literally making my ears ring). My Nad D3045 which is currently driving my desktop speakers doesnt pop but skips the first second or two when using digital inputs but thankfully no popping noises.

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,510 of 2,017
My point was that it is not bitperfect and is resampling, which is not what the previous post seemed to imply. Maybe it just doesn't work with all DACs (mine included) but works for others? I dont know the answer to that but thought I would pose the question here so others can share their experiences.

I hear you on the noises for sample rate changes. I found some DACs handle that better than others and it may be an issue with the design or firmware (the person I spoke with at Grace Design seemed to think it may be firmware related). I am using the Aurender Flow and Dragonfly Cobalt for IEMs because they do not pop or skip on sample rate changes. My Grace m900 went back in the closet because, while it can handle sample rate changes perfectly over USB, it popped dangerously loudly when using it via coax/toslink (literally making my ears ring). My Nad D3045 which is currently driving my desktop speakers doesnt pop but skips the first second or two when using digital inputs but thankfully no popping noises.

For what it's worth, my iPad also stays at 24/192 when using Amazon, regardless of track bitrate. The iPad does play bitperfect for Roon, so it's not an iOS limitation.

Jan 15, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #1,511 of 2,017

I'm going to check again to see if it is upsampling all tracks and report back.

I can't remember if I checked any other tracks previously apart from 24/192...
I think you're probably right though and it won't be bit perfect.

Damn Amazon. They found a way to fake it.

Bit of a newbie question: is up-sampling always a bad thing vs bit perfect?

I found this advice on an old post on another audio forum:
"It depends on the quality of the conversion algorithm and the precision used."

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #1,512 of 2,017
Will an Apple iPad also up sample (the same as android) or can Amazon Music HD send bitperfect data to an external DAC via the lightning port?

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #1,514 of 2,017
In my iPhone 12, everything shows 192 no matter what Amazon hd says it is playing using the lightning port.

Same with my iPad Air 2 and Zen DAC connected with lightning.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,515 of 2,017
Same with my iPad Air 2 and Zen DAC connected with lightning.

Thanks.
Would be nice if Amazon could solve this problem that seems to be a non-issue for their competition.
I'm not sure if the upsampling is affecting the sound quality but it would be nice to remove the risk and just be able to send bit perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back