Amazing Music Recommendations...From A to Z
Jul 1, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #47 of 185
Old Time Relijun - "Witchcraft Rebellion"

200px-Witchcraftrebellion.jpg

Witchcraft Rebellion is easily the most consistent release to date from this raucous, ramshackle trio led by Arrington DeDionyso and featuring the Microphones' Phil Elvrum on drums (who, by the way, is an excellent drummer; he's not on board merely to add name recognition). DeDionyso's singing falls somewhere between Captain Beefheart, Blind Willie Johnson, and Popeye. He screams, hollers, growls, whoops, and hollers throughout these 13 surrealistically bluesy songs. "Mystery Language" is one of the standout Old Time Relijun songs thus far. All the band's trademarks and idiosyncrasies are there: a herky-jerky guitar riff that finds common ground between post-punk angularities and Delta blues, guttural vocals belting out bizarre couplets ("I can take off my head/And so can my dad"), and simple but powerful drumming. Elsewhere, such as "Vampire Sushi," the band gives an absurdist's take on the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion formula, while "King of Nothing" is a gritty postmodern rockabilly tune with a machine-gun rhythm. Witchcraft Rebellion can be a jarring ride at first, but once you are acclimated, it goes down as smooth as any classic R&B. ~ Jason Nickey, All Music Guide

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #48 of 185
Peter Gabriel - UP

312XRA4F2ML.jpg

While he had produced many exceptional albums throughout his career, I think this album stands above the rest (not including Genesis). Form what I can tell, the album is a story of life and death told from many different angles. I'm not much into reading albums inner meanings, I just think it's damn good music. Another album of which I think no music collection is complete without.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #49 of 185
Q-1966.jpg

[size=medium]Quilapayún - Quilapayún (1966)[/size]

Tracklist:

"La Paloma"/The dove (Eduardo Carrasco)
"El Forastero"/The foreigner (Carlos Préndez Saldías - Eduardo Carrasco)
"El Canto De La Cúculi"/The song of the turtle dove (Eduardo Carrasco)
"El Pueblo"/The People (Ángel Parra)
"La Boliviana"/The Bolivian girl (Popular)
"La Cueca Triste"/The Sad Cueca dance (Víctor Jara - Eduardo Carrasco)
"Canción Del Minero" [o El minero]/Song of the miner (Víctor Jara)
"Dos Palomitas"/Two doves (Popular)
"Por Una Pequeña Chispa"/For a little spark (Popular)
"La Perdida"/The loss (Juan Ramón Jiménez - Quilapayún)
"El Borrachito"/The drunkard (Popular)
"Somos Pájaros Libres"/We are free birds (Víctor Jara)

Quilapayún (pronounced: keela'pye'yun) are an instrumental and vocal folk music group from Chile and among the longest lasting and most influential exponents of the Nueva Canción Chilena (New Song) movement. Formed in Chile during the mid-1960s, the group became inseparable with the revolution that occurred in the popular music of the country under the Popular Unity Government of Salvador Allende. Since its formation and during its forty year long history - both in Chile and during its lengthy period of exile in France - the group has seen modifications to its personnel lineup, to the subject and content of its work, and controversy regarding irreconciliable differences with the current and former group director; which has led each to maintain a distinctive - yet equally impressive - Quilapayún ensemble: one in Chile (named: Quilapayún-Histórico) and one in France (named: Quilapayún-French-Faction).

Quilapayún originated in 1965 when Julio Numhauser, and the brothers Julio and Eduardo Carrasco formed a folk music trio which they simply called “the three bearded men” (viz. Quila-Payún) in the mapuche language (viz. Mapudungun – the language of the people native to the region that is now the south of Chile, the Araucanians). Their first public performances were at the Universidad de Chile in Valparaíso organized by their first musical director, Ángel Parra (The son of Violeta Parra). In 1966 Patricio Castillo joined the group and they began performing and winning notoriety for their Andean music as well as their black ponchos which became the groups trademark. - wiki

anyone interested in Andean music, this may be a start...there's some beautiful Andean music out there
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #50 of 185
Russian Circles - "Enter"

russiancirclesenter.jpg

Great debut album from a post-rock trio (I think they're just a trio). Their sound falls somewhere between the hardness of Pelican and the delicateness of Explosions in the Sky but somehow without sounding like another lame derivative of either (unlike most contemporary post-rock).

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #51 of 185
Swans - White Light from the Mouth of Infinity

27897f.jpg

Earlier Swans albums such as Filth and Cop featured Michael Gira screaming instead of singing. I referred to this early music as soundtracks for the apocalypse. It was, and still is, the most dark and aggressive music I have ever heard. In this album the band, including Gira, underwent a completely unexpected transformation. Gira found a voice, instead of screaming he sings with a delightfully brooding baritone. Norm Westberg's grinding guitars were replaced with lush acoustic arrangements with Clinton Steele and Michael Gira on guitar. In fact, after listening to this wonderful album and then hearing some of Swans earlier material you might not believe they were both from the same band with the same vocalist. There is not a weak song on this recording, though my two personal favorites are "Will We Survive?" and "Failure." The album is an unheralded masterpiece that deserves to be heard by anyone who appreciates alternative rock.

--Jerome

Jul 1, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #52 of 185
lima_tita~~_1111~~~~~_101b.jpg

[size=medium]Tita Lima - 11:11[/size]

listen: Tita Lima

A modern-day Tropicalista, singer-songwriter Tita Lima was born into a family of musicians (her father was the bass player for 70s rock band Os Mutantes). She paid her dues in Sao Paulo's musical scene playing bass, singing and sharing the stage with widely-recognized artists such as Bocato (Metalurgia, Elis Regina, Gal Costa, Maria Rita), Joao Donato, Luz de Caroline.

Tita Lima now delivers a fascinating debut album, entitled ‘11:11’ consisting of eleven melodious, relaxing songs that hover somewhere between acoustic soul, dubby electronica, samba-jazz and spaced-out hip-hop/folk. With a little help by distinguished musicians and producers including Apollo Nove (Otto, Cibelle), André Caccia Bava, Kassin, Beto Cascales (Alberto López), Bryan Velasco and Quincas Moreira, ‘11:11’ sees life given to the mélange of influences and curiosities of Tita Lima.

The sultry vocalist’s music has become a favorite among DJs in Brazil, the US and Europe, including Rafael Moraes, Garth Trinidad (KCRW) and Gilles Peterson, who included the song "A Conta Do Samba" in his superb compilation ‘Brownswood Bubblers.’ Sophisticated and subtle, songs like " Flutuando" and "Catatonica" are perfect accompaniments to warm up the short winter days for those living in the Northern hemisphere. Simply indulge in the Tita Lima groove.

this album is HIGHLY recommended, one of my favorite albums

Jul 1, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #53 of 185
U.S. Maple - Long Hair in Three Stages

27420f.jpg

Quote:

U.S. Maple's debut album is nothing short of stunning, combining angular guitar attacks, odd skronks, jazzy tones, and a generally deconstructive approach to music into a sound of unparalleled idiosyncrasy. The record's finest moments come when the slanted attack and fractured composition converge to simulate something approaching a conventional song ("Letter to ZZ Top," with lyrics like "Give my bones to Billy Gibbons," pretty much rules out any notion of normality). Between these off-kilter constructions and the group's even more off-kilter deconstructions, a truly amazing record is created, one that combines hard-edged, "whiskey, no chaser" rock with exceptionally intelligent slants and fractures. ~ Nitsuh Abebe, All Music Guide

--Jerome

Jul 2, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #55 of 185
Think I'll throw some classic hip-hop into this menagerie.

wutanglogo2.jpg

[size=small]Wu-Tang Clan: Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)[/size]

Jul 2, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #56 of 185
Xiu Xiu - "Fabulous Muscles"

coverXiuXiuFabulousMuscles.jpg

I like it because it's interesting noise-pop. I'm not particularly good at reviewing the music I enjoy, Davey, so I apologize for posting other people's reviews.

Jul 2, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #57 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Xiu Xiu - "Fabulous Muscles" ~ Heather Phares, All Music Guide

Be a much more interesting thread (at least for me) if you'd ditch the AMG reviews and just say a few words about why you like it.

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #58 of 185
"Simple Things" - Zero 7

I like most of what Zero 7 does to a greater or lesser degree, but "Simple Things" is their best. If you like R&B tinged, techno-flavored acid-jazz, than this album is for you. When I have Zero 7 playing through the house, or in the car people frequently ask, "who is this?" "Simple Things" is like that; good background music that gets better when you put it in the foreground and concentrate on the details. I like the "Simple Things Remixes" CD even better.

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #59 of 185
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be a much more interesting thread (at least for me) if you'd ditch the AMG reviews and just say a few words about why you like it.

That may be true, but I sure wouldn't want to discourage someone from contributing just because they were unable to put their thoughts into words.

For example, I've been listening to U.S. Maple for years and still can't find the words to describe their music or my feelings about it. An AMG synopsis is better than nothing.

--Jerome

Jul 2, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #60 of 185
asia-ahat-homo-300x300.jpg

[size=medium]Assia Akhat - Homo Novus[/size]

listen: Assia Akhat < the quality in sound is bad on here and gives no justice, you just need to buy the album or whatever

Assia Akhat is a Ukrainian violinist, this album Homo Novus adds some stunning violin music accompanied with electronic instrumentations, it's a very down to earth, chilled album and it's one of my favorites, most of it is instrumental bliss, a few tracks have some vocals, but not many of them, another highly recommended album for those who would just like to chill out to some sweet violin, it could almost be described as a bit downtempo-ish as well...i've recommended this to other people and they kind of compared it to vanessa mae, so i guess those who like her, may like this album as well
wink.gif

ok after recommending it i think i need to listen to it now as we speak hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back