Amazing Bay Area Meet 2/19/11 Impressions Thread!
Feb 22, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #106 of 303
I really should have done some more testing and A&Bing. Oh well, It was fun talking too. It was overwhelming how much gear and people were there, I didn't get to test about 75% of it. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #107 of 303

Quote:
I really should have done some more testing and A&Bing. Oh well, It was fun talking too. It was overwhelming how much gear and people were there, I didn't get to test about 75% of it. 

[size=10pt]True... the overall effect is daunting, breathtaking, exhilarating and somewhat frustrating. Like a kid in a toy or candy store, there is just too much to take in… especially if you are also showing. Not enough time. This is why we need these more often. Maybe smaller events, quieter, to be able to really dig into the devices to the level they truly deserve.[/size]

[size=10pt](BTW… your craftsmanship is superb and your work is exquisite. I don’t own Grado, but if I did…)  [/size]

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #108 of 303

Quote:
...Looking forward to the next meet!  How about a mini meet before the next big one??

I'd be willing to host a mini-meet in May after I get back from my Asia trip, but we'd have to keep it small (<12 simultaneously.) My location isn't ideal either - south south San Jose in near the boonies.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #110 of 303

Quote:
Quote:

I'd be willing to host a mini-meet in May after I get back from my Asia trip, but we'd have to keep it small (<12 simultaneously.) My location isn't ideal either - south south San Jose in near the boonies.

The good...
I've got a great clubhouse that I can use/rent at my Condo Complex that is plenty big enough (at least as big as two of the rooms we used at the big meet).  It has several rooms so we could set up some pretty good critical listening areas if we choose to and we could still have a social area to relax in.

The really good...
It's only $25 for me to rent! 

The bad...
I'm out in Pleasanton in the east bay, so it might not be a great location for many to get to?

Just throwing out another option!

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #111 of 303

Quote:

[size=10pt]True... the overall effect is daunting, breathtaking, exhilarating and somewhat frustrating. Like a kid in a toy or candy store, there is just too much to take in… especially if you are also showing. Not enough time. This is why we need these more often. Maybe smaller events, quieter, to be able to really dig into the devices to the level they truly deserve.[/size]

[size=10pt](BTW… your craftsmanship is superb and your work is exquisite. I don’t own Grado, but if I did…)  [/size]

Thank you! One of these days i'll do a little expanding and start doing wood and metal mods to other headphones. A gentleman at the meet asked if I could do sennheiser headphones so maybe I'll do some experimenting.

I agree, a few smaller events throughout the year would be great. Luckily for me and N3rdling, there are 2 So Cal meets coming up soon so that should be fun.

Thanks to everyone else who came by my station and complimented my work, I'm my biggest critic so every one of the comments hit home with me.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #113 of 303

Quote:
The good...
I've got a great clubhouse that I can use/rent at my Condo Complex that is plenty big enough (at least as big as two of the rooms we used at the big meet).  It has several rooms so we could set up some pretty good critical listening areas if we choose to and we could still have a social area to relax in.

The really good...

The bad...
I'm out in Pleasanton in the east bay, so it might not be a great location for many to get to?

That's really close to me!

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #114 of 303

Quote:
'...Just throwing out another option!

Sounds like a great idea and I would show if you organize it!

But nothing against you or anyone personally, but now I'm realizing a true "mini" meet (< 10 or even less persons) would be my own preference. (My humble abode which is out in the boonies would probably discourage high attendance and faciliate this.) It's just too hard to properly evaluate equipment, especially more subtle stuff like DACs, in a public setting on fold-out chairs. I was thinking along the lines of comfy couches, sofas, office chairs, etc. with makeshift tables to try to simulate our own listening environments.

I'm proceeding carefully with this idea because I wouldn't want to have to turn anyone down and hurt anyone's feelings. We had a HUGE bay area meet and a few folks have already expressed interest even though I haven't even gotten permission from my wife!

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #116 of 303
We used to have two bay area meets per year, but that changed when the annual national meet (HeadFest/CanJam) came into existence.  But it appears that there won't be a national meet this year, so perhaps there is room for us to go back to two meets.  The second meet used to be around August.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #117 of 303

Quote:
The good...

The really good...

The bad...

Any place will be close for a few and not so much for others.   

I'd totally got to Pleasanton. :)

[]s
Walfredo

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #118 of 303

Sounds like a great idea and I would show if you organize it!

But nothing against you or anyone personally, but now I'm realizing a true "mini" meet (< 10 or even less persons) would be my own preference. (My humble abode which is out in the boonies would probably discourage high attendance and faciliate this.) It's just too hard to properly evaluate equipment, especially more subtle stuff like DACs, in a public setting on fold-out chairs. I was thinking along the lines of comfy couches, sofas, office chairs, etc. with makeshift tables to try to simulate our own listening environments.

I'm proceeding carefully with this idea because I wouldn't want to have to turn anyone down and hurt anyone's feelings. We had a HUGE bay area meet and a few folks have already expressed interest even though I haven't even gotten permission from my wife!

I am with you! I like the idea of keeping a mini meet small, mini. I only offered a space if it's needed, and it's set up well for setting up some critical listening, not a full blown meet.. I certainly wasn't trying to offer up a competing event, just trying to help with a location if it was needed/helpful. As for organizing I am happy to help any way I can, even to organize something completely if there is interest. It would be great if there ends up being a few mini meets around the big event(s).

Sounds like you are filling up fast but I'll throw my name in the hat as interested if you have room, I'd like to get some more real time with some of the gear and would bring all of my humble gear if anyone would care to audition it.

Anyway, thanks for your generous offer to host a small get together at your home!

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #119 of 303

Quote:
We used to have two bay area meets per year, but that changed when the annual national meet (HeadFest/CanJam) came into existence.  But it appears that there won't be a national meet this year, so perhaps there is room for us to go back to two meets.  The second meet used to be around August.

I've been giving this thought and I think there very much will be a fall meet... 
wink_face.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #120 of 303
It sounds as though there's enough interest (and gear) for a small, focused mini-meet and a larger meet in the fall. I know that I'm not experienced enough to participate in a mini meet in any sort of useful fashion, but another large meet would be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back