Amazing and Dynamic HE6
Apr 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #256 of 334

Quote:
Quote:
I must say that the new Schiit Lyr is a great match for the HE-6, they sound much better than the LCD-2 does out of it.

My HE-6s have come to life with my Lyr. They sound as good as through my Pioneer Elite home theater receiver (headphone jack). I do have Ron's (HiFlight) pigtail adapter and I plan to A-B with my Lyr this weekend.

With the stock JJ tubes, the LCD-2s we a bit to dry in the mids...a little tube rolling fixed that quite well (Genalex Gold Lions).

Now all you need to find is a vintage pioneer beast and really hear them sing. They sound fantastic on my 980SX and the Taboo also works wonders with them. One each flavor and with the vintage get a great tuner to boot.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #257 of 334

Now all you need to find is a vintage pioneer beast and really hear them sing. They sound fantastic on my 980SX and the Taboo also works wonders with them. One each flavor and with the vintage get a great tuner to boot.

I am keeping my eyes open on kijiji and craigslist for a local deal. Being vintage, I'd really like to see and hear them before I spend my $$. But you have put the bug in my ear...and I am definitely scouting for one. :smile:

This afternoon I will try my Pioneer Elite receiver through the speaker taps and Ron's pigtail adapter. My receiver can drive my speakers to the point were my windows will shake if I crank them up. The headphone jack was quite good with the HE-6s...but the Lyr was able to hold its own in that A-B.

Apr 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #258 of 334

Quote:
I went an found some guy not too far from me that has 15 receivers and will sell a few of them. Now I need a divorce lawyer if I go up there because I figure if I dont like the Pioneer SX650 I am getting today can send t back for refund less 17.00 shipping and buy either Marantz 2270 or Luxman 1040 but I am trying to talk him into selling the Pioneer SX980. The insanity of all of this for headphones but i will admit these receiver sound better than the solid state headphone amps I have owned,

Any reason why you can't take the cans with you and pick out the best piece of gear (he has) for the job through listening tests ? Seems like a fool proof way of avoiding "the couch" or "the shed"
bigsmile_face.gif

Peete.

Apr 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #260 of 334
I have decided to return the Lyr under the 15-day trial program. It is the perfect amp for the K701 but I don't need that. With my HE-6 it sounded good but it went to 3pm to get a good level (like on my WA22), and my speaker amp sounds better with it. The Lyr does sound better with the HE-6 than with the WA22 does though. With the LCD-2 there is no contest, the WA22 is a tough act to follow. The Lyr is a fine amp though, and it's preamp output showed me how good a tube buffer sounds in between my DAC's SE output and the speaker system. So I will be keeping the Amprex tubes(?), and ordering a tube buffer to take the Lyr's place. Unfortunately the only tube buffer that uses the 6922's is the discontinued Musical Fidelity so I will probably be getting the Grant/Yaquin that uses 6SN7GT's instead as I have plenty of those laying around.

edit: I listed the Lyr with the tubes for sale together for a limited time, maybe I won't be keeping them after all.

Apr 9, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #262 of 334
Quote:
I suspected as much.The HE-6 is a speaker.

Yeah I guess it's a WA5 or bust for me. Probably and bust lol. A single beast to drive them all, but I'm pretty happy with my two rigs separately so who knows. I'll probably just keep working on upgrading those, there's still some room for improvement.

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #263 of 334

Quote:

Yeah I guess it's a WA5 or bust for me. Probably and bust lol. A single beast to drive them all, but I'm pretty happy with my two rigs separately so who knows. I'll probably just keep working on upgrading those, there's still some room for improvement.

I use the Pioneer SX980 through the headphone jack and at 12 it is plenty loud so if I were to say that I can use one receiver and use it with the headphone jack tells me the proper gear will drive it without being hooked up to speaker taps. The amazing thing to me it is very close to my 2400.00 Decware with the upgraded tubes. If you have a rack or the right place those vintage receivers can and will drive them. The Taboo gives me more transparency and detail but I am splitting hairs because the Pioneer is that good. Mine is out now being serviced but I will use that primarily for the headphones and the Decware amps for my Omega Monitors. Eventually I will get it overhauled but to me it will be worth the total investment. The Pioneer drives the hE6 with a wide and deep sound stage and has plenty of detail and great bass slam. The thing surprising me is that it plays well with the headphone jack. I also have a pigtail but have found it being used sparingly.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #264 of 334
Yeah vintage amps rock. I have a vintage Kenwood integrated that may get resurrected someday but pickings are slim in my location for that kind of gear unless I wander into a pawnshop and get lucky as even the Craigslist gear is scarce; mail order seems like a real crapshoot and yes space is an issue. But as one rig is in the basement office and one is in the attic bedroom having two works well for me.
Good thing there's so many different paths to audio bliss
o2smile.gif

Apr 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #265 of 334
hello everyone i am looking for some advise on weather the new amp from schiit will be able to drive the he-6?, the amp in question is the MJOLNIR, i have really been impressed by schiits products and i feel like there will be no need to go past the new schiit combo, i was wondering how well the amp would drive these headphones? ( the amp does 5w into 50ohms )

Apr 3, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #266 of 334
Quote:
hello everyone i am looking for some advise on weather the new amp from schiit will be able to drive the he-6?, the amp in question is the MJOLNIR, i have really been impressed by schiits products and i feel like there will be no need to go past the new schiit combo, i was wondering how well the amp would drive these headphones? ( the amp does 5w into 50ohms )

Try asking in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/529873/amps-that-can-drive-the-hifiman-he-6-planar-headphones

5W in 50 Ohms is borderline - especially if the specified 5 Watts isn't in class A.

Apr 3, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #268 of 334
Checking in with 7.2 watts @ 50 ohms, better than quite a few other amps I tried and I only need to go to around 9 - 10 am on the volume.

I would think that 5 watts @ 50 ohms would definitely be adequate, that's what the EF6 is rated at after all.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #269 of 334
The Lyr was able to drive the HE-6, so the Mjolnir should also be able to do so without issue.  As to how it would sound, that would be pure speculation.  The EF-6 is 5w and does admirably, as Grokit mentioned.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #270 of 334
I didn't like the Lyr with the HE-6, that was one of the amps that I tried. But it might not have been a power issue as much as other factors. Yes, I did use upgraded tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back