Amarra - anyone using it?
Nov 17, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #631 of 920
Quote:
Like previous updates it does drop out completely from time to time, meaning total silence for a whole track or more, but this appears less frequently with the 2.4.3.

I can easily say that this version of Amarra is the best digitally based sound reproduction I've had in my system. And likewise, although very difficult to compare when auditions are spread over long periods of time and on different systems, it *is* some of the best digital I've ever heard, computer based or otherwise. A note on that is the necessity of a USB/Spdif converter.

Agreed. In my own experience, playback reached another level once I added a USB-S/PDIF converter into the mix with Amarra.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #632 of 920
I keep reading about these drop-outs but frankly, I am not experiencing them. The sound quality is excellent. I an going USB out on the MBPro to my DM+ so no SpDif needed as the DM+ is 24/192 with USB 2.0. The Mini is Optical out to my Denon DVR-4311CI. The Denon has AKM DAC's and is also 24/192. The sound is great through my M&K 150's. So far so good!

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #634 of 920
That may be the issue. I always have the volume set to max so I have not had any dropouts.

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #635 of 920
Been rock-solid for me.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #636 of 920
Yeah, this version seems pretty good.  I decided to give it another try since the latest Audirvana + beta direct mode is buggy with drop outs. Think Amarra might actually present the vocals a little smoother, which is good because they were seeming a tab bright in my system.  Once Audirvana + is stable again, probably go back since it just so much quicker, no cache load up time.  But I'll make sure if give both a fair comparison based on sound alone.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #638 of 920
I currently running Lion v. 10.7.5 with 8MB RAM with Amarra 2.4.2 build 4420 through a ARC DAC 8 with the best sonic improvement of the three audio software programs I own.  I have been reluctant to continue the Apple upgrade path to Mountain Lion and iTunes 11 with their cloud priority and awareness of better playback programs, ie everything outside of iTunes.  :)
My problem is that I cannot upgrade to Amarra 2.4.5 without loss of the quality that I have come to enjoy with Amarra.  (Bought Mini and rebranded now to Amarra, not Symphony.  

Amarra has always been plagued with minor, and sometimes major, bugs when Apple changes its OS.  Should I stay in my comfort zone and get off the new version treadmill or should I take the chance and go to Mountain Lion, Amarra 2.4.5?  

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #639 of 920
I've found the safest way to test new os/amarra updates is to create a SuperDuper clone backup of my system onto a second drive, and upgrade the OS and app there while keeping the system I know works well untouched. If you store your itunes library (actually lib file, not just music folder) on second drive like I do, make a copy before iTunes11 updates it or you can never go back without adding your music to iTunes from scratch. I was able to test Lion and Mt. Lion and all the amarra updates this way while keeping my snolep system intact. Good thing, too, because it seems that each time I can't run back to Snolep and Amarra 2.2 fast enough. 

Quote:
I currently running Lion v. 10.7.5 with 8MB RAM with Amarra 2.4.2 build 4420 through a ARC DAC 8 with the best sonic improvement of the three audio software programs I own.  I have been reluctant to continue the Apple upgrade path to Mountain Lion and iTunes 11 with their cloud priority and awareness of better playback programs, ie everything outside of iTunes.  :)
My problem is that I cannot upgrade to Amarra 2.4.5 without loss of the quality that I have come to enjoy with Amarra.  (Bought Mini and rebranded now to Amarra, not Symphony.  

Amarra has always been plagued with minor, and sometimes major, bugs when Apple changes its OS.  Should I stay in my comfort zone and get off the new version treadmill or should I take the chance and go to Mountain Lion, Amarra 2.4.5?  

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #641 of 920
would be interesting for you to test. I think Foobar is quite good with the right files and setup. WASAPI, no resampling or gain adjust. I found Amarra the best library player option on a MAC though I haven't checked in a while. I'm not a fan of USB interfaces in general and prefer things like the Weiss(expensive) or TC Konnekt (cheaper) that both use JET but it seems firewire is fading away. It's been a while but I remember the Halide better than most USB interfaces. I once tested a M2tech Young dac and it was clearly better with the Weiss via S/Pdif than it was via it's own usb interface. Th e sound improved once more out of $7k worth of dedicated server/streamer setup without the seperate DAC ( no PC) and better again when I added that $2k DAC to the streamer's S/Pdif out.

My favorite sounding SW on either format is Wavelab but it's more a mastering program than player and doesn't support libraries. All that said, computers as players are great for tunes on a budget but not optimum for best sound.

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #642 of 920
Last night I was setting up Amarra on my Asus Hackintosh and I encountered some problems. First, I cant get to play wav and aiff files from the playlist, but when I used iTunes with amarra engine it worked.

Then I get a pause on my sound output everytime I put a new file on the playlist, not that it is non functioning but it gets really annoying.

Am I the only one getting these or is it for everyone. My guess was that because I used hackintosh, it is a dry run before I go and sell some of my things and get a Macbook Pro

May 5, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #643 of 920
I'm using Amarra 2.5 (build 4660) on my end 2008 MBP with 8 Gb RAM and a SSD.  Have to say I think the software's amazing.  The signal (FLAC) goes from my Mac over USB2 to a small dac/amp combo which I use when travelling (Fio E17 in combo with the E9 and then into my Beyerdynamics DT 880 (600 Ohm) headphones.  Before using Amarra the sound quality was simply unacceptable with clipping etc.  Don't know how it technically worked but my mac in combo with the amp was butchering my music.  I installed Amarra first as a trial but lo and behold, the results were really spectacular.  Electronic wizardry as far as I'm concerned.  Very good value for money too BUT that being said, running OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) there are very occasional short dropouts or stuttering.  Nothing too detracting but I think it's worth mentioning.  Hopefully it'll get fixed soon.  Still, marvellous piece of software as far as I'm concerned.

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #644 of 920
Wow, I wished I used it earlier.  Really hear the difference.  Would have loved to hear it with Violectric V800 when I had it because just the Amarra with the Meridian Explorer sounds so good.  I don't think I can every go back to just iTunes.  So much more depth, detail, instrument separation, soundstage and the midrange bloom and warmth it gives.  Sounds like SACD. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back