Amarra - anyone using it?
Nov 8, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #226 of 920
Do you find you need the full copy. I love the sound but I don't do much equalizing and can't rationalize it for the cost now. I guess my question is, What is it about the full version that you use most of appricate?

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #227 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you find you need the full copy. I love the sound but I don't do much equalizing and can't rationalize it for the cost now. I guess my question is, What is it about the full version that you use most of appricate?

Frankly, for most, the mini is probably the right product to get. It sounds identical (at least to me) to the full version and does up to 24/96, which is what almost all hi-rez downloads are.

I have a fair bit of 24/192 material, and I want the upcoming abilities of archiving stuff at 24/192, so the full version makes sense for me.

I bet there is an upgrade program in place as well for those that purchase the mini, and later decide to upgrade to the full version. However, don't hold me to that, as I do not sell Amarra, or speak for them. I'm just a fan.

Peace,

Lee

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #229 of 920
Not about to upgrade my Mini. Yeah, 1.1 adds some nice SQ. Oh, and ALAC sounds every bit as good as wav.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #230 of 920
I got my iLok so I can now listen without the pauses. It's getting much easier to hear the difference Amarra makes. Hear more depth and just a crisper sound. When I turn it off, the music sounds almost the same but is just missing a little something. To me, this little something seems to add the realism that was missing.

I actually got the iLok at the begining of the week but my iMac was held hostage all week at the Apple store to fix a bad screen. Just got it back today.

So everything seems to be working pretty good except my 24/96 tracks. They don't have any sound even when I shut Amarra off. I've only got two albums in this format, so it's not a big deal but something I'll need to fix. I know they worked when I was just playing around in demo mode last week. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the Amarra software. If I can't figure out on my own, I'll see what the company says.

Nov 15, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #231 of 920
It works with 24 bit with me perfectly. Sometimes if there is no sound you need to check Amarra's volume or quit and relaunch. As far as ALAC it is almost indistinguishable from uncompressed for me. I have to put it on my most detailed system and turn it up, then a/b back and forth to hear any difference at all and it seems only a very slight thinning. So I kept the uncompressed on my external when that is in line and on the computer or portable external I am just using ALAC.

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #232 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It works with 24 bit with me perfectly. Sometimes if there is no sound you need to check Amarra's volume or quit and relaunch. As far as ALAC it is almost indistinguishable from uncompressed for me. I have to put it on my most detailed system and turn it up, then a/b back and forth to hear any difference at all and it seems only a very slight thinning. So I kept the uncompressed on my external when that is in line and on the computer or portable external I am just using ALAC.

Got it to work. Just had to reboot and do another reinstall. I'm not even going to bother comparing AIFF files to ALAC. I have 550gb of music in ALAC, so that's how my files are staying. I did have them in AIFF before ALAC came out, but also had less than half the collect I have now. Even with a 1 terabyte hard drive, things are starting to fill up with the addition of raw photo files. I know it recommends to have a dedicated music server, but I think maybe less web surfing while I listen is as far as I go.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #233 of 920
I have been reading with lot's of interest the thread. I will definitely give it a try before making any judgement, especially now that it can handle ALAC as well. I understand the Demo version is easy to install, but that I will get random silence during playback if I do not request an iLock.

Once thing though that is really worrying me. i see some issues with long name tracks (above 30 characters), and I have plenty of those.

Another big issue for me is the impossibility to play gapless tracks. Is that true? I mean, do you get silence between 2 tracks when they were ripped as "gapless".

If so, that would probably be a deal breaker for me... I would be happy to hear your experiences regarding those last 2 points raised above, for those of you who already use it intensively.

Thanks,

Nov 16, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #234 of 920
I believe they fixed the long file name problem buy cannot confirm this myself. It also looks like they are working in the gapless problem. It's probably about a 1 second gap at the moment. You can always toggle it off for your albums that need to be gapless. I'd say the sound quality is better enough to get now and use for the albums where it doesn't matter.

Well I'm currently without my iMac again since apple screwed up my repair. Only got to listen to Amarra for a few hours.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #235 of 920
I just read this entire thread and didnt see any mention of the question I'm about to ask. So if I missed somehow, I apologize...........

The Amarra websight claims that solid state drives sound better.

Why?

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #236 of 920
Quote:

I just read this entire thread and didnt see any mention of the question I'm about to ask. So if I missed somehow, I apologize...........

The Amarra websight claims that solid state drives sound better.

Why?

If you have read the entire thread, you will have also noticed that other things that supposedly sound better have little or no hard proof to back them up either. Same with SSDs. Many well respected folks can hear a difference and like them, but there has not been any definitive proof as to why.

Much like lots of things in this hobby actually. Why does wire sound different? And I don't mean ohm's law variables.

If you want to read a bit more about it from other a'philes, head on over to Computer Audiophile and read some of those threads. No answers, though. Some links to discussions about long term reliability of SSDs as well.

cheers

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #237 of 920
I installed Amarra mini Demo version today and gave it a short listen... Yes indeed, the effect on the music is noticeable, though definitely not a night or day difference, at least in my current system, rather very subtle in my case. It made the music played through Amarra somehow more relaxed, more refined, flowing with ease, especially noticeable with voices. Quite surprising I must admit. But music without Amarra sounded already pretty good, so I feel very little to no frustration at all when I turn Amarra off.

I also confirm that long name tracks are now handeled properly. However, I also confirm that gapless tracks can NOT be played gapless, and this is for me the only thing that will pull me back for the moment.

There is no way I spend $400 on a music playback software that is not able to handle gapless tracks. I'll be in once this major flaw is fixed. Untill then, I will just keep enjoying iTunes on my MB.

Botton line: there really seems to be more than just bits when it comes to computer playback... Fascinating. This learning curve is quite steep indeed !

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #238 of 920
Qualifier: I'm making the switch to a dedicated computer based system so I don't have much experience with this technology on the audiophile level in which I am accustomed. At first, I was very concerned as standard iTunes was not giving me the desired SQ of my old system. I demoed Amarra and the improvement was very, very dramatic! In short, standard iTunes was flat, dull lifeless. Amarra impacts musical dimension,depth and spacial qualities allowing music to breath in an almost 3D affect without it sounding artificial. I really think that without Amarra, using a computer as a source, would have been very brief! Now all I need is my new Sonicweld Decoder Dac and Locus Design USB to be delivered and I will be in audio bliss!

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #239 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now all I need is my new Sonicweld Decoder Dac and Locus Design USB to be delivered and I will be in audio bliss!

That's for sure, lucky you.
wink_face.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #240 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have read the entire thread, you will have also noticed that other things that supposedly sound better have little or no hard proof to back them up either. Same with SSDs. Many well respected folks can hear a difference and like them, but there has not been any definitive proof as to why.

Much like lots of things in this hobby actually. Why does wire sound different? And I don't mean ohm's law variables.

If you want to read a bit more about it from other a'philes, head on over to Computer Audiophile and read some of those threads. No answers, though. Some links to discussions about long term reliability of SSDs as well.

cheers

NO! SSD sounds better because of lower noise level. It is hardly noticed on my headphone rig, but the difference can be found on my speaker rig without critical listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back