Amarra - anyone using it?
Jun 13, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #662 of 920
  Wish that they made an iphone or ipad app. version.  That would be awesome! 

I just downloaded the trial of Amarra 2.6. and am expecting to mostly play FLAC files.  I am really surprised that it does not provide a user interface that make it easy search by  album, artist etc more like iTunes or other  music server software.  It seems very limited and kind of rudimentary.   Am I missing something ?   

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #663 of 920

I just downloaded the trial of Amarra 2.6. and am expecting to mostly play FLAC files.  I am really surprised that it does not provide a user interface that make it easy search by  album, artist etc more like iTunes or other  music server software.  It seems very limited and kind of rudimentary.   Am I missing something ?   

No, you are not. Welcome to Amarra; welcome to 1980.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #664 of 920
Hah!  yes, 1980...   well, I would tolerate a poor interface more than poor SQ.  From posts,  it seems that Amarra may have the edge on SQ for Macs.   maybe later I will get into setting up a streamer that can have an iPad interface.   but I haven't explored that yet.    

if I decide that portable is more important than desktop (still unsure)  then it may not be as much of an issue since I would use an iPad  or a  DAP as a source.    

open to suggestions for the best set up for Macs

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #665 of 920
It drives me crazy that I like Amarra's sound quality since their programming skills, at least as far as interface skills are concerned, show that the company do not know how to program. However, the EQ is very musical, so if I know exactly what I feel like listening to, then I generally fire up Amarra. Otherwise, I tend to stick to JRiver's Media Centre, which has a decent interface and decent EQ as well.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #666 of 920
  It drives me crazy that I like Amarra's sound quality since their programming skills, at least as far as interface skills are concerned, show that the company do not know how to program. However, the EQ is very musical, so if I know exactly what I feel like listening to, then I generally fire up Amarra. Otherwise, I tend to stick to JRiver's Media Centre, which has a decent interface and decent EQ as well.

Have you by chance compared JRiver to Fidelia, Audirvana, etc?

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #668 of 920
I'll be right behind you. Amarra has always won out per sound, but I've grown tired of the GUI. I actually use BitPerfect more than anything because I've
found its sound to be as good as those others. But maybe JRiver can step it up in all areas.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #670 of 920
I use Amarra with iTunes so I get their processing and iTunes interface. Thats a good compromise. I use Aurdirvana + for DSD. It will be interesting when the newly announced Amarra 3.0 comes out with its DSD capabilities.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #671 of 920
Some people say that Amarra alone sounds better than Amarra + iTunes?  Have you evaluated this?

Quote:
  I use Amarra with iTunes so I get their processing and iTunes interface. Thats a good compromise. I use Aurdirvana + for DSD. It will be interesting when the newly announced Amarra 3.0 comes out with its DSD capabilities.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #672 of 920
  Some people say that Amarra alone sounds better than Amarra + iTunes?  Have you evaluated this?

Quote:

I have. The difference is subtle and not always best either alone or paired with iTunes. So, unless I am really doing some critical listening, I keep iTunes engaged for convenience. I have found that Audirvana+ can be better with Non DSD files too. Fun/annoyance of the hobby. Nothing seems to be always the best. One copes though....
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #673 of 920
Thanks, this subtlety is similar to what others have said.  The iTunes interface with Amarra is so much better than Amarra alone.  I am surprised Amarra isn't on board with DSD yet, esp. considering the cost of the software.

Quote:
  I have. The difference is subtle and not always best either alone or paired with iTunes. So, unless I am really doing some critical listening, I keep iTunes engaged for convenience. I have found that Audirvana+ can be better with Non DSD files too. Fun/annoyance of the hobby. Nothing seems to be always the best. One copes though....
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #674 of 920
  Thanks, this subtlety is similar to what others have said.  The iTunes interface with Amarra is so much better than Amarra alone.  I am surprised Amarra isn't on board with DSD yet, esp. considering the cost of the software.

Quote:
biggrin.gif

They announced Ver 3.0 at T.H.E Show in Newport last week. DSD is part of it. It should be available before long. Then we'll see how it compares with Audirvana, JRiver and PureMusic.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #675 of 920
I've complained to them about the UI for years, but gave up. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is they can't easily or don't want to transition to XCode which would allow them to use a regular OSX UI.

Lately I've been using Amarra on my main computer and Audirvana Plus on my MB Air because Audirvana can screw up the ability to use peripherals by trying to hog devices on the USB bus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back