Am I using the ibasso D3 python properly ?? HELP!
Nov 11, 2008 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

radlux

Head-Fier
Hi,

So I got my IBasso D3 python and I got it working fine. However the included documentation isn't the most detailed.

When I've connected to the laptop through USB I'm using output jack. The manual says something about using the input as a line out when using the USB. When I use it the amplifier is off.

Question 1:
So, when would I use this mode ? If I want to connect my laptop to an external amplifier and use only the DAC of the D3 ?

Question 2:
Are my AAA batteries being used when connecting to the input jack in this way ?

Question 3:
So in the normal case to use phones I should always be using the output jack ?

Question 4:
What does the red led light indicate ?

Question 5:
Does the gain switch do anything besides increase the volume when using the output jack ? I mean does it change the SQ ?

Sorry for the noob questions. Haven't used an ibasso before
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 15
1. When the D3 is connected to your laptop via USB it works as a DAC, a better sound card. You can insert your headphones jack into the input.
2. No
3. Don´t understand th question.
4. That your AAA batteries are being used and your D3 is working as an amp not a DAC.
5. The gain switch affects the gain, it´s not just volume.

It´s all right that you´re asking but there´s really nothing difficult about it. You could have just tried it.

Nov 12, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 15
Thanks dor replying.

@Karel: I've used a dedicated DAC before. I was confused since the line in of the D3 works as line out unlike my old amp which was more straightforward.

@tacitapproval: Perfect. Got it
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 15
I also has a question about d3, from the ibasso.com, it shows that d3 can be used as a dac only but not amp when it connect the laptop via usb. However, in the user manual, the main features states that it works as amp+dac combo, does anyone can explain this?

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex804 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also has a question about d3, from the ibasso.com, it shows that d3 can be used as a dac only but not amp when it connect the laptop via usb. However, in the user manual, the main features states that it works as amp+dac combo, does anyone can explain this?

PC via USB -> iBasso D3 -> Input -> Whatever amp you want to plug it into
PC via USB -> iBasso D3 -> Output -> Headphones

The second line is the dac+amp combo.
The first line is using the iBasso D3 as a DAC only.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by alex804 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
woo~ thx, so b3 is also a dac+amp combo, gd. Is there a significant difference if I plug another amp while using d3 as a preamp?

If you need a higher output voltage to feed your separate amp than what the D3 line out provides, then you could use the headphone out to feed your other amp as a pre-amp. The D3 DAC line-out's output voltage is not as great as that of my Headroom Micro DAC, yet it is still powerful enough to drive some of my headphones to listenable levels cleanly.

Using it as a pre-amp might change the sound a little, plus you are amplifying the signal a second time with your external amp and could introduce more distortion. But, many high end DAC use opamps in the output stage but don't put variable volume controls on them, so their output is technically still "amplified" yet they don't sound bad feeding an full size amp. The Headroom Micro DAC and Ultra Micro DAC are an example of this, as is the ZERO DAC. I think I recall even the higher end Benchmark DAC1 uses LM4562 opamps in the output stage?

So, only use it as a pre-amp if you must, for technical reasons. But it may be just fine in reality.

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 15
i'm gonna sound super newb here. laugh at me all you want.

i just got my d3 python also, and it is not working like i expected it to.

1. connecting an ipod/mp3 player to d3 via lod or mini-mini. d3 is working as an amp. - OK!

2. connect a computer to d3 via usb. plug another amp to d3's input jack. the power light is not on. the volume control does not work. gain control does not work. d3 is working as a dedicated usb dac. - OK!

so far so good but my problem is that it does not work as a usb dac/amp combo like pico, predator and 2move do. when i connect the dac/amp combo to my computer, i want to be able to control the volume from the amp. with d3, i gotta control the volume from the computer.
is it supposed to be like this? or does d3 need batteries to work as dac/amp combo (i havent gotten a chance to get the batteries yet)?

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm gonna sound super newb here. laugh at me all you want.

i just got my d3 python also, and it is not working like i expected it to.

1. connecting an ipod/mp3 player to d3 via lod or mini-mini. d3 is working as an amp. - OK!

2. connect a computer to d3 via usb. plug another amp to d3's input jack. the power light is not on. the volume control does not work. gain control does not work. d3 is working as a dedicated usb dac. - OK!

so far so good but my problem is that it does not work as a usb dac/amp combo like pico, predator and 2move do. when i connect the dac/amp combo to my computer, i want to be able to control the volume from the amp. with d3, i gotta control the volume from the computer.
is it supposed to be like this? or does d3 need batteries to work as dac/amp combo (i havent gotten a chance to get the batteries yet)?

That's odd. How did the first one work OK without batteries?

confused_face(1).gif

May 12, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #15 of 15
well ill tell you what, after reading all this i am beyond confused

I will be able to use this just like any other portable amp right?  I will be using it with my shure 840 or PK1s with my source as a Sansa Fuze.  All I need are the batteries right?

And if I want to use it as a desktop amp, I can just plug it into the usb port and use it that way?  There wont be a driver issue with there?  Vista has trouble with audio drivers via usb so I really fear i wont be able to do this easily. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back