Am I the only one frustrated with Sony for aiming too low in recent years...
Feb 7, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SA5000 and HD650 aren't high end?

For all average consumers, i.e. normal human beings, they are. But not so at Head-fi -- we are not normal.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Correct, I don't rank those as high-end.
..and I don't just look at the price tag, even if it give a hint about the products overall build and sound quality.

Cause as 'ast' point out, some of us Head-Fi'ers draw the high-end line a bit higher than the average consumer.
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:09 PM Post #18 of 35
It's indeed a slow time for high end headphone enthusiasts. At least Grado, Stax, and a few others are keeping us going.

And yes ueyteuor, I'd say Sony was aiming pretty high with the PS3, which is a surprisingly good piece of hardware. It doesn't seem to be paying off though. The 360 and Wii are smacking it down in terms of sales.

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote : SA5000 and HD650 aren't high end?

That depends on what you mean by HE.

It seems that there are 20-30 thousand people who consider themselves to hear better than others,all chasing an ever diminishing supply of HE phones.
Allmost a pity that most of the source material is far from HE.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 8, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #20 of 35
I would seriously like to see someone listen to a balanced, high-end HD650 system and then call them "not high end." They could be outdone overall and in some categories specifically (speed, microdetail), but they're still one of the best headphones in the world, and my favorite dynamic headphone bar none. They just scale and scale, and there is very little limit to their potential, at least as far as the headphone format allows.

This is balanced, of course. Single-ended they suck, IMO.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The F1's are from 2001 so they are not a recent design by any stretch.

Is "recent" like "is" and depends on what you mean by "recent" or could "recent" be just an age dependent thing so if you're 12, "recent" is but five minutes ago? An inquiring mind shouldn't be asking these things so please forgive me for doing so.

Feb 23, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #22 of 35
Feb 23, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

No.. They are midfi IMO.. The HE90 best the 650 by a mile.. The same with the R10 in regards to the SA5000.

Feb 23, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is "recent" like "is" and depends on what you mean by "recent" or could "recent" be just an age dependent thing so if you're 12, "recent" is but five minutes ago? An inquiring mind shouldn't be asking these things so please forgive me for doing so.

No offense meant; my comment could of have been taken as a bit snobby.

Just to say the OP defined "recent" as after cans such as the R10 and CD3000 that he mentions. So you are saying "wait a minute" and bringing up the F1. The F1 was before the CD3000/2000 etc. So you were trying to correct him but you probably didn't know that the F1 was older thus not in his "recent".

Now back to the topic. Shame that the K1000/R10/HE90 types are all gone and not replaced. Sony has hit tough times but they should make one again once they get more healthy. Something along the likes of another Qualia entry maybe. AKG seems like they are done with anything over $500. Possibly Ultrasone may jump past the ED9 and make a truly high-end can. Maybe not.

Feb 24, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense meant; my comment could of have been taken as a bit snobby.

Just to say the OP defined "recent" as after cans such as the R10 and CD3000 that he mentions. So you are saying "wait a minute" and bringing up the F1. The F1 was before the CD3000/2000 etc. So you were trying to correct him but you probably didn't know that the F1 was older thus not in his "recent".

Now back to the topic. Shame that the K1000/R10/HE90 types are all gone and not replaced. Sony has hit tough times but they should make one again once they get more healthy. Something along the likes of another Qualia entry maybe. AKG seems like they are done with anything over $500. Possibly Ultrasone may jump past the ED9 and make a truly high-end can. Maybe not.

I just discovered your response and had some free time on my hands so I asked my Dark Side if She wanted to comment and that's what She came up with. I'd apologize for both of us but I can't since I'm pretty sure She did mean to be offensive because that's the way She always is.
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #26 of 35
You're not the only one!
It would be awesome if Sony aimed a bit higher, like they did with the Qualia 010 and MDR-R10. We can always wish.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote : It would be awesome if Sony aimed a bit higher

Now they have won the dvd battle who knowes.
They might even rebadge the mini disc as a blu-ray cd.
But for the time being unless you have a lot of money,it is hard to surpass the mighty SA5000.

tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #28 of 35
Sony is to Audio what Toyota is to Auto

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #29 of 35
Sony has lost tons of money due in part to the PS3. they will be in debt because of that system for a few years.

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sony has lost tons of money due in part to the PS3. they will be in debt because of that system for a few years.

Sony as a whole (and all its subdivisions) in debt because of the ps3? I find that hard to believe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back