Am I the first owner ??? Qualia 010 !!!
Sep 6, 2004 at 9:02 AM Post #166 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Edit: Sorry, didn't notice you already mentioned the F-1

Sorry for the confusion! It happens that I'm faster with posting than thinking over the whole issue.

peacesign.gif

Sep 6, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #167 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Ever heard of meets?
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76247
There were quite a few HD650's there. I was the one responsible for bringing the Headroom Meetpack which had the Blockhead and an HD650 cabled with Balanced Cardas Neutral Reference headphone cable. It was hooked up to Doug's (ServingInEquador) Electrocompaniet CDP. Which I believe qualifies for your all important $10,000 price point.
rolleyes.gif

Was quite a treat to hear the HD650 maxed out against a maxed out Omega II. And sorry, the HD650 loses IMO.

Oh, and there was a nice Accuphase SACD player there, it retails for nearly $16,000, but the street price does not meet the $10,000 price point.

Gave a lot of quality time to the HD650's with that same Balanced Cardas NR with the Balanced Reference Gilmore with the Meridian 588 and Linn Ikemi as well. But they don't quite reach the $10K mark, so they're obviously crap.

-Ed

Headroom uses the NR cable from Cardas? I thought they used the normal blue Cardas headphone cable that had been terminated balanced (XLR connectors) for use with there amp? Did you get to compare the cable to any of the regular Cardas cables? What color was the cable?

Sep 6, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #168 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Headroom uses the NR cable from Cardas? I thought they used the normal blue Cardas headphone cable that had been terminated balanced (XLR connectors) for use with there amp? Did you get to compare the cable to any of the regular Cardas cables? What color was the cable?

Whatever it was, it was surprisingly thin. My mistake, probably not the Neutral Ref cable then. I'm sure it works magic, and cures all of the HD650's (albeit relatively small) shortcomings.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Sep 6, 2004 at 10:07 AM Post #169 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacopo
it sounds a bit threatening...
tongue.gif

Yup - must be quite a big amp then, if it provides room for several lions...
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 6, 2004 at 10:35 AM Post #170 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins

It is the normal (light blue) cardas cable. might be interesting though to try one of the more expensive cardas cables as a headphone replacement cable.

I had one on my hd 600. i sold the lot and have a hd650 now. i am still looking for a replacement cable. i don't think the cardas is the best replacement cable at the moment. the zu mobius and the silver dragon seem both much better to me for the hd650. they are only a tad more expensive.

however, the cardas is way much better then any standard senneheiser cable.

Sep 6, 2004 at 10:43 AM Post #171 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
NO!

The RP010 is a SS amp. not a hybrid.

The RP010 is another thing respect to the RP5... another world ... Inside of the amp you can read this: "HIC SUNT LEONES" (?????????).

Best!
Nicola

Nik,

there are a few possibilities here;

It can mean "the missing link" very appropriate!
smily_headphones1.gif

Or it is an italian group of musicians.
lambda.gif

personally i would go for the first one.
wink.gif

Nice touch from rudi.
eggosmile.gif

Sep 6, 2004 at 10:58 AM Post #172 of 645
"HIC SUNT LEONES"

Nobody know the history??? This is the limit of the Roman Empire... out of every limit...

Best!
Nicola

PS:
This amp is one only piece. I'm waiting fo it during this week. I have just 4 private pics and look... IMPRESSIVE !

Sep 6, 2004 at 11:11 AM Post #173 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
"HIC SUNT LEONES"

Nobody know the history??? This is the limit of the Roman Empire... out of every limit...

Best!
Nicola

PS:
This amp is one only piece. I'm waiting fo it during this week. I have just 4 private pics and look... IMPRESSIVE !

It seems it has more meanings then.
Will dive into it.

Nik,

It is Latin.
the literal translation seems to be: "Here there are lions".

so, it seems to be a beast of an amp!
lambda.gif

I know of romulus and remus. both raised by a she-wolf. romulus, the founder of rome. someday i'll start learning latin.
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2004 at 11:43 AM Post #174 of 645
Yes, Latin...

Best!
Nicola

Sep 6, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #175 of 645
that motto was conventionally used to mark unexplored, unknown territories beyond the farthest boundaries of the Roman Empire

Sep 6, 2004 at 11:58 AM Post #176 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexm
that motto was conventionally used to mark unexplored, unknown territories beyond the farthest boundaries of the Roman Empire

Hence the "here there are lions" part. watch out for the things out there.
wink.gif

In this case it is more positive: boundaries no amp designer has gone before.
eggosmile.gif

nice touch though. I am curious to see the pics and the comments of Nik soundwise.

Sep 6, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #177 of 645
nik please!!!!!!

post the "private" pictures of the BEAST
wink.gif

J|!

Sep 6, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #178 of 645
Hi Nik,

Just one question for you:

If the new amp used with the Qualia 010 surpasses the Omega/Egemont setup, do you plan on completly moving over to these?

I really thank you for taking the opportunities alot of us couldn't, then letting us know from your take. It takes a few such as yourself with the funding to really consider what is the best out there.

Is it at all possible though, that the best stuff might not be the most expensive stuff?

Enjoy your new gear, and thank you.

P.s MasterGill:

You are always starting flame wars, chill out on that, jealousy gets you no where. I'm sure everything is subjective here anyways.

Sep 6, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #179 of 645
I spent about 30 minutes with the 010's on Sunday. I really wanted to buy them - even though I absolutely love my HD-600's, after listening to the R-10's and CD3000's, through tksuki's Stealth, I just realized the HD-600's definitely were not the end all be all.

At the Sony Building in Ginza, I auditioned in the little private room with my portable rig - Apple lossless through a 3g iPod -> pocketdock -> SR-71. I didn't end up getting the 010's - they sounded bright to me. And forward.

But on the way home, I just realized, compared to the 010's, my Shure e5c's (through the same rig) sounded dull. Just like tksuki's HD-650's sounded compared to the R-10's.

Probably will get the 010 next week, as an alternative to my HD-600's.

-Jason

Sep 6, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #180 of 645
I still don't have mine yet, but spent most of a day with a demo
pair from the local sony rep. These really are amazing headphones
however i have noticed a few things i really don't like. (none of which
are sound issues)

1) They are open. Very open. External sounds rip right thru. I can't
imagine more than 3db of isolation. So it is absolutely necessary to
listen to them in a quiet room. They also make a bit of external
noise too, so someone sitting next to you would definitely hear them.
(as bad as omega2's in this respect, so who cares)

2) They scream for balanced drive. The connectors are standard
lemo connectors and it is very easy to fabricate a dual mono set
of cables. I really don't like the stock cable, although it is thin it
is nowhere near the flexibility of say the cardas cable. Also playing
with the cable results in audible (physical) noise into the headphones.
(like the ety's)
They are actually easier to drive than expected (i.e. low inductance)
and more efficient than i expected from the specifications.

3) I don't like red.

One thing i really like is that they can play loud. Very loud. Dangerously
loud in fact. And do so with very little distortion. Once in a while
an hour of loud rock is a good thing. Dynamic intensity is really there.
Bass still seems a slight bit slim compared to the omega2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back