Am I the first owner ??? Qualia 010 !!!
Oct 12, 2004 at 11:52 AM Post #616 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightStalker
Nik: i take it you dont feel that the cable would require any upgrading for improvment in the overall quality?

Cheers
-jake

I have contacted www.moon-audio.com ...

Best!
Nicola

Oct 14, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #617 of 645
I would like to tell you something about my last test with Qualia + EAR HP4. I think many of us know this beautiful amp, good construction, a very good designer (Tim De Paravicini) and for me even a old companion... The HP4 (not this unit I'm selling now) was the first hi-end amp I bought for my R10... time ago...

The HP4 is the first tube amp I test with the Qualia, the RP5 cab was a hybrid one. First thing I must to say, the EAR is really quiet, I insered the Qualia in the low out, but even if insered in the other output the amp still work quiet.

The first hiss I can hear at half of the volume knob, just a little, and then a bit more to the end of the way.

I was convinced that a tube amp could be not so good with the Qualia, but I what to tell you that this is not confirmed by my test with the HP4. The system sounds good and a lot of pleasure come out of the can.

Not so much colored sound as I was thinking, the best tube set in this combo are the JAN Philips 1986 6sl7 wgt. Nice sound.

The different with the reference RP010 are:

the HP4 gives a more euphonic sound, a bit bloom med-bass and bass, not so thigt as the RP010. No the same dynamic and details as the RP010. The hi fr. are a bit cuted, the airy is less evident in the EAR. I cannot experiment that kind of "to be in the recording" as I can have with the RP010, something really special, like a big amount of informations I can listen with the RP010 that the EAR do not can produce.

But at the end the EAR HP4 still is a very good amp!

Best!
Nicola

Oct 16, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #618 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I would like to tell you something about my last test with Qualia + EAR HP4. I think many of us know this beautiful amp, good construction, a very good designer (Tim De Paravicini) and for me even a old companion... The HP4 (not this unit I'm selling now) was the first hi-end amp I bought for my R10... time ago...

The HP4 is the first tube amp I test with the Qualia, the RP5 cab was a hybrid one. First thing I must to say, the EAR is really quiet, I insered the Qualia in the low out, but even if insered in the other output the amp still work quiet.

The first hiss I can hear at half of the volume knob, just a little, and then a bit more to the end of the way.

I was convinced that a tube amp could be not so good with the Qualia, but I what to tell you that this is not confirmed by my test with the HP4. The system sounds good and a lot of pleasure come out of the can.

Not so much colored sound as I was thinking, the best tube set in this combo are the JAN Philips 1986 6sl7 wgt. Nice sound.

The different with the reference RP010 are:

the HP4 gives a more euphonic sound, a bit bloom med-bass and bass, not so thigt as the RP010. No the same dynamic and details as the RP010. The hi fr. are a bit cuted, the airy is less evident in the EAR. I cannot experiment that kind of "to be in the recording" as I can have with the RP010, something really special, like a big amount of informations I can listen with the RP010 that the EAR do not can produce.

But at the end the EAR HP4 still is a very good amp!

Best!
Nicola

In other words: the rp010 is the more revealing amp.
the bloominess in the med-bass and bass is a common problem for tube amps in general. I heard alot of tube amps with this problem, including my own.
only the very,very expensive tube amps seems to handle low bass quite well.

Oct 16, 2004 at 12:04 PM Post #619 of 645
The most impressive thing if I think to the RP010 is that (as you said) is a very revealing amp, but still in a incredible musical kind of sound. I can say that this amp sounds as a tube amp, but without the typical defects of this.

So you have a lot of details and even a great musicality... in other word, this is my concept of NEUTRALITY !

Best!
Nicola

Oct 16, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #620 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The most impressive thing if I think to the RP010 is that (as you said) is a very revealing amp, but still in a incredible musical kind of sound. I can say that this amp sounds as a tube amp, but without the typical defects of this.

So you have a lot of details and even a great musicality... in other word, this is my concept of NEUTRALITY !

Best!
Nicola

I am also leaning to transistor amps more and more. i happen to hear the tubeamp defects quite easally. and today there are more and more very natural sounding transistor amps without the tube-flaws(as you said).

transistor amps have better control in general in the mid and low bass section as tube amps(although there are some exceptions-ongaku amp). the problem was that most transistor amps sounded unnatural and dull. today there are comming more and more "sweet" sounding transistor amps.

although hybride amps also tend to work quite good.

also it seems that finally the audio-companies get the message that a headphone is NOT an accessory anymore(or at least they concur that the headphone out plug on an amp is not sufficient). "lots" of manufacturers make headphone amps as well now.

Oct 16, 2004 at 12:35 PM Post #621 of 645
The RP5 cav (that is a hybrid amp) as even a SS sound, but with the Qualia I had heard the tube, with the RP010 you just listen the music, this is my impression, so I think this is the most neutral amp I had ever...

for this reason I'm so in doubt if next step (for a direct comparison) will be a Singlepower or Gilmore... have you an opinion about?

I do this question even to all the other headfiers: wich the next test (amp) for me?

Best!
Nicola

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #622 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
The RP5 cav (that is a hybrid amp) as even a SS sound, but with the Qualia I had heard the tube, with the RP010 you just listen the music, this is my impression, so I think this is the most neutral amp I had ever...

for this reason I'm so in doubt if next step (for a direct comparison) will be a Singlepower or Gilmore... have you an opinion about?

I do this question even to all the other headfiers: wich the next test (amp) for me?

Best!
Nicola

Maybe both might be good contenders but i think that the new Gilmore amp with his huge powersupply might be a good one to start with. He has designed this amp also especially for the Qualia. and is also a dual mono setup, just like the rp010. Only the output is much higher then the rp010; 5 watts instead of 500mwatts.

i think he's not far from completing his first example. he will bring it to a head-fi meet, i am sure.
so, in expectation of things to come, i am quite sure you will enjoy the rp 010 untill there's a decent review of the new amp.
wink.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:35 PM Post #623 of 645
Just to be clear... the RP010 is simply PERFECT with the Qualia 010, but I just whant to do a comparison with some other amps, and now the two possiblity are Singlepower or Gilmore.

Best!
Nicola

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #625 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
Nik, thank you for your insight and experience, gained by this thread. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot to you, man!

I'm so happy when people here discuss with PEACE about their loved gear and music !!!

Best!
Nicola

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #626 of 645
Nik - are you considering getting balanced versions of the SinglePower and Gilmore amps for testing?

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #627 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
Nik - are you considering getting balanced versions of the SinglePower and Gilmore amps for testing?

I do not what balanced amps because my player works better with the umbalanced outputs, as the Linn told me. And I think that if you have a balanced amp you need to use all the way (from source to headphones) in a balanced mode.

May be I can buy the two "entry level", Singlepower and Gilmore and than, to do a up-step... I do not know...

By one side I'm not so convinced that a OTL can sounds so good...

Best!
Nicola

Oct 16, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #628 of 645
yes, it would be best if the whole chain is balanced when using balanced headphones, though there are ways to use an unbalanced input into the amp and have the amp produce the inverted signal.

if you are comparing to the RP010, I don't think getting the entry-level product of both product lines would be the best thing to do though. why compare an amp that most likely retails for several thousand to entry level amps that go for around $500.

Oct 17, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #629 of 645
I love threads like this where amps that cost $500 are considered entry level.
icon10.gif

Oct 17, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #630 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
yes, it would be best if the whole chain is balanced when using balanced headphones, though there are ways to use an unbalanced input into the amp and have the amp produce the inverted signal.

if you are comparing to the RP010, I don't think getting the entry-level product of both product lines would be the best thing to do though. why compare an amp that most likely retails for several thousand to entry level amps that go for around $500.

Yes, you are right, but the comparison will be not to tell which is "the best", but a simple description of the differents sound caracteristics.

Based on my experience, the entire line of products of the same signature (the same hand) are more or less the same sound aspect (in general) then you can upgrade for a better result with a higer model.

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back