Am I (sonically) blind
Jan 6, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #121 of 186
If you look at almost every post in Head-Fi, try and discover the true motivation behind it. Everyone thinks they know truth. Or it will be a post about being confused on the way to truth. One guy rented an amp and goes on about how it has flaws. He feels his amp now is better. Another guy has 14 TOTL IEMs and he is explaining how he missed one example of a frequency response from an old IEM he went and sold, but is getting the signature back with this new IEM acquisition! All ego.

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #122 of 186
More accuracy is better than less accuracy. It’s a spectrum, not binary.

By the way, I’ve worked with a lot of recording studios. They are all calibrated to the same specs. They don’t have a house sound. Producers and artists dictate the creative choices in the mix that define differences in sound.
Not with the books I’ve read. It’s impossible as studios are not using calibration. They are all using different monitors in different rooms.

Jan 6, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #123 of 186
This thread, the whole board is powered by ego. All of Head-Fi is based on ego. Everything. The best part is sound science is guided and has concepts all based on ego. I’m also a big part of the ego when I post. Also everyone else is too, even if they fail to notice it or not.

The whole idea of fidelity is actually based on ego. To try and understand it is still based on ego. Thus my fidelity is my ego, your fidelity is “best” due to your own ego. That’s all it is in the end.

Same as recording studios. They feel they are able to capture the sound played, again is all ego. Another different studio records the band or individual musician and it sounds different, again another best recording. But still it’s questionable and to what’s best......again it’s all down to ego, not always fully science.

If everything was based on actual sound quality (if people could agree) then stuff would be standardized. But again studios are not standardized so every recording is different.

There basically is no fidelity in the world. Simply circles of confusion generated by a non-standardized recording process. All is not losses though? We accept that every recording sounds slightly different and still enjoy it, regardless of the inconsistencies at hand.

So there are no calibration for the infinity of playback. The actual musical event recorded is gone. It was never captured in the first place. To think you have the ability to regenerate it again is all ego.

Blind tests will not help also as the actual musical event in gone. All we have is an example of one interpretation of how it should sound.

The OPs question is if he found IEMs or not, and if he found his own subjective fidelity? Hopefully he will report in?
Not ego in isolation as that may be interpreted as an inflated sense of self worth

The drivers are Ego , Id and Super Ego working in concert

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #124 of 186
Artists that go to a recording studio still hope they get a sound they are happy with. It’s a crapshoot!

Artists go to a studio for a particular sound. This has been going on forever. Studios all sound different. Engineers sound different too, often you can spot an engineer by their sound, they will have a particular way they record, even regardless of studio used! Again ego!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #125 of 186
Not with the books I’ve read. It’s impossible as studios are not using calibration. They are all using different monitors in different rooms.
Go make an appointment and visit a studio. Speak with the Chief Engineer. You’ll find out that way. Studios need to be interchangeable so something can be recorded and mixed on the East coast and be opened on the West coast and pick up right where they left off.

I agree that a lot of posters on Head Fi are more interested in ego than sound. But that isn’t exclusively a home audio thing. It’s common to all discussion boards. The anonymity that the internet provides attracts people with personality disorders. They are ashamed of what they’ve accomplished in real life, so they compensate by being something completely different online. The percentage of participation in forums by people with disorders is higher than in real life, because a lot of these people have difficulty with face to face social interaction. In fact, some therapists encourage them to participate in social media to help them hone social skills. But they don’t monitor that interaction, so it sometimes leads to unhealthy sorts of relationships with other people.

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #126 of 186
https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reprod...akers-Engineering/dp/0240520092?tag=headfi-20
Go make an appointment and visit a studio. Speak with the Chief Engineer. You’ll find out that way. Studios need to be interchangeable so something can be recorded and mixed on the East coast and be opened on the West coast and pick up right where they left off.

I agree that a lot of posters on Head Fi are more interested in ego than sound. But that isn’t exclusively a home audio thing. It’s common to all discussion boards. The anonymity that the internet provides attracts people with personality disorders. They are ashamed of what they’ve accomplished in real life, so they compensate by being something completely different online. The percentage of participation in forums by people with disorders is higher than in real life, because a lot of these people have difficulty with face to face social interaction. In fact, some therapists encourage them to participate in social media to help them hone social skills. But they don’t monitor that interaction, so it sometimes leads to unhealthy sorts of relationships with other people.

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #127 of 186
All of my electronics measure balanced out of the box and I do a quick controlled listening test for verification of that to make sure they aren't defective. My speaker system was calibrated using YPAO to create a balanced baseline response, and I made some small tweaks to that to suit my personal taste. You are free to adjust coloration to your taste, you should just start from a baseline of balanced so your experimentation is anchored, rather than random flailing about.
My "flailing" would be largely about the subjectivity (ego and else) of people doing it.
Me personally never had a chance and motivation to use any speakers - the space in our leaving room is occupied by a little old grand and a digital piano - no place even for a TV, and I do not watch Hollywood, it scares the crap out of me....

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #128 of 186
Subjective impressions are like navigating with an unanchored buoy in the ocean. As the buoy drifts, you loose the point of reference you need to calculate the direction to your destination. Having a precise calibration allows you to make response experiments, and be able to pull back to your baseline if you don't seem to be going in the right direction. A calibration is required in a studio to guarantee consistency, but in the home, you are free to add sonic salt and pepper to your own taste. The calibration is a baseline that helps you do that in an organized way. Equalization isn't just for speakers. It can help fine tune headphones too.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #129 of 186
That's evidence that Marketing works, Beats are marketed more as a fashion accessory. Every time I see a Football player before a game they're inevitably wearing Beats.

We are easy influenced and majority doesn't even know which sound presentation plays in favor for their taste. The usual route leans towards bass as it easy to notice and enjoy. lots of stuff is pushed into our consciousness by media or social networks, but impulsive purchases are rarely good either it is audio gear or life investments.

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #130 of 186
[1] What is the way you would convincingly prove "fidelity" for your "calibrated" system? [2] Any blind tests?
1. An objective measurement, a waterfall plot for example.
2. No, none at all! Double/Blind tests are only designed to test human responses but “fidelity” isn’t a human response, it’s a measurable, objective, physical attribute.

[1] It may get closer to a particular standard, but it won’t be accurate. [2] Otherwise you would be able to push all different transducers to sound the same.
1. That’s complete nonsense, because fidelity is accuracy.
2. Of course you wouldn’t. For example, how would you get a speaker that can’t produce freqs below say 60Hz to accurately reproduce content between say 40-50Hz?
[1] What reliable evidence ? [2] I can give you exact opposite evidence and [3] claim that with popularity of beats 🎧 people
prefer bassy/unbalanced sound. [4] I’m ignoring you, you’re too unstable and will start to write long paragraphs full of caps lock words
1. Countless studies by scientists and industry bodies (the ITU, EBU and AES for example). The 2000 paper by Geringer being just one example.
2. If you can give the exact opposite evidence, then please do so!
3. Your “claim” is NOT reliable evidence, surely you must know the difference between a claim and reliable evidence? And, popularity doesn’t prove people prefer “bassy/unbalanced sound” unless you eliminate other possible reasons for popularity, such as fashion for example.
4. You need to ignore yourself then! You think it’s “stable” to argue in a science forum when you don’t even know the difference between a claim and reliable evidence?
The best part is sound science is guided and has concepts all based on ego.
Of course it doesn’t, it’s guided and has concepts based on science, that’s why it’s called the sound science forum. Certainly there are people that don’t understand the science and certainly we all have ego but that is why science was invented in the first place! Do you really not know that?
The whole idea of fidelity is actually based on ego.
Nonsense. The whole idea of fidelity is based on proven/demonstrable mathematics, as has been explained to you several times but apparently your ego only allows you to keep repeating the same nonsense!
Then either the books you’ve read are fantasy/fiction or you failed to understand them! All commercial studios are calibrated, they ALL measure the room/speaker response and they ALL apply corrective measures, acoustic treatment, EQ etc. However, in the case of music studios, there is no agreed standard of calibration. In other words, music studios typically calibrate to a “house curve” which may or may not be the same as the house curve of a different music studio.

G

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #131 of 186
oh yes, she is back as i predicted

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #133 of 186
Sorry mate I won't read your emotional rollercoaster. You can call yourself a winner of whatever argument is there

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #134 of 186
Either provide the reliable evidence that you promised or you’re admitting you’re a troll. Anything else is just noise.

G

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #135 of 186
You are the one claiming that everyone loves pepperoni pizza. Industry standard is just an indrusty standard, nothing to do with individual taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Back