Am I so bad in identifying sound quality?
Dec 30, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #76 of 571

Quote:
The apple earbuds sound a little bit hollow. I would say the EX600 sound pretty close but the headset apparently outperforms the EX on some tracks I listen to. For listening to music for a long period of time like I do , I have to say the earbuds provide more comfort than sealing the ears for 8 hrs everyday.

You're getting a bad seal.  Don't blame the earbuds for bad sound if you can't put them on correctly.  It's misleading.

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #77 of 571

Quote:

You're getting a bad seal.  Don't blame the earbuds for bad sound if you can't put them on correctly.  It's misleading.

I don't think I have the seal problem anymore after latest try. In fact I just got a new pair of the same earbuds and they still sound the same. Maybe my brain just embraces this sound signature. All I can say is unbelievable for the $5 earbuds to beat the $150 IEM as far as I am concerned.

Well, the IEM in the box will have to find a new owner.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #78 of 571

I think you just don't like the EX series sound signature if you are like me. But I still found them better than el cheapo ear buds. I recommend you Give the GR07 a try. I think that may be what you are looking for. If you have a better budge opt for the FX700 or IE80s. Those will put a smile on your face.
Quote:

I don't think I have the seal problem anymore after latest try. In fact I just got a new pair of the same earbuds and they still sound the same. Maybe my brain just embraces this sound signature. All I can say is unbelievable for the $5 earbuds to beat the $150 IEM as far as I am concerned.

Well, the IEM in the box will have to find a new owner.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #79 of 571
I would still recommend he tries cheaper IEMs instead if he wants to continue down that path. What if he buys one of your fave top-tiers and it's deja-vu? No sense in spending tons of money before he identifies what kind of sound-sig he likes.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #80 of 571

Quote:
I would still recommend he tries cheaper IEMs instead if he wants to continue down that path. What if he buys one of your fave top-tiers and it's deja-vu? No sense in spending tons of money before he identifies what kind of sound-sig he likes.

Could be true. But I think his ear buds are fuller sounding than the Sony's thin and anemic sound (which also contributes to that wide sounding sound stage IMO). I wouldn't be surprised if hes use to his music having more weight to it and presence.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #81 of 571
Even good earbuds don't sound as full as the overwhelming majority of IEMs. And besides, that doesn't account for him not liking all those other IEMs he tried either, such as the Beats which is certainly fuller sounding.

OP, consider checking out the Thermaltake Isurus, JVC FX67, and the Xeport 5010. All cheap.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #82 of 571
I do like the EX600 much better than the other IEMs I tried yesterday at the Brook Stone store. I may give it some more time to burn in and see I will feel by then.

I bought the EX600 from ebay and then the left housing got stuck/broken when I was trying to detach it. The Sony service center in Texas sent me a brand new replacement.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #83 of 571
I had a chance to test out my apple earbuds today. It does sounds hollow, but it's able to give a more "headphone" soundstage that IEMs are unable to produce. So I can see why you would prefer the apple earbuds to the EX-600s. But you would have to get used to it then you will start to see it's positive points. Another reason is perhaps you're using low quality recordings? Since more expensive IEMs are able to play out more details, lower quality recording will sound worse than on a low-end earphone. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #84 of 571

Quote:
I had a chance to test out my apple earbuds today. It does sounds hollow, but it's able to give a more "headphone" soundstage that IEMs are unable to produce. So I can see why you would prefer the apple earbuds to the EX-600s. But you would have to get used to it then you will start to see it's positive points. Another reason is perhaps you're using low quality recordings? Since more expensive IEMs are able to play out more details, lower quality recording will sound worse than on a low-end earphone. 

I doubt those apple ears buds give a bigger sound stage than the IE80/FX700s/EX1000s. Highly doubt it lol. Coming from higher end IEMs I can not stand to listen to the apple buds. They just sound like pure crap in comparison. Guess that happens when you get spoiled....

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #85 of 571

Quote:
I do like the EX600 much better than the other IEMs I tried yesterday at the Brook Stone store. I may give it some more time to burn in and see I will feel by then.

I bought the EX600 from ebay and then the left housing got stuck/broken when I was trying to detach it. The Sony service center in Texas sent me a brand new replacement.

Sony Service sent you a new one?  How much did you pay for them on EBay? 

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #86 of 571
It has to be a seal or a fit thing. Some people had a hard time fitting the Sony's. It is impossible for me believe that we are comparing apple buds to Sony ex-600. Even the Cheap Sony's they toss in with their Mp3's annihilate the apple buds. There is no YMMV on this one

Edit Spell fix

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #87 of 571

Quote:
I doubt those apple ears buds give a bigger sound stage than the IE80/FX700s/EX1000s. Highly doubt it lol. Coming from higher end IEMs I can not stand to listen to the apple buds. They just sound like pure crap in comparison. Guess that happens when you get spoiled....

It doesn't give as much soundstage as IE80s, EX-1000, but compared to EX600, Turbines, HF5, UM3x for example, the Apples should have a wider soundstage. Yeah... once you go up, you can't go back.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #88 of 571

Quote:

I mean the earbuds for Blackberry not the apple earbuds. Honestly I don't think I can tell the difference listening the 128kpbs and 320kpbs.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #90 of 571

Quote:

I mean the earbuds for Blackberry not the apple earbuds. Honestly I don't think I can tell the difference listening the 128kpbs and 320kpbs.

Now if you still can't tell the difference with your Sonys, then you know for a fact that it's a bad seal (and you shouldn't blame IEMs if you can't get a seal).  I'm still putting money that you have a bad seal right now and aren't hearing the IEMs correctly.  Do as stated before and try other IEMs, like Etymotics, or Phonak PFEs.  They are more mid-centric while not forgetting bass.  They may be more of your tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back