Am I so bad in identifying sound quality?
Jan 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #136 of 571
Thanks guys for the info.

I start thinking that the seal-type IEM's may not be suitable for me. While the seals do provide the "closed" or more 3D sound effect, it is not something that I feel comfortable. With the buds I can wear them all day long without much feeling the existence of the buds, but with the seals I had to take it off from time to time not mentioning constantly feeling the ears being sealed.

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #137 of 571

Quote:
Thanks guys for the info.

I start thinking that the seal-type IEM's may not be suitable for me. While the seals do provide the "closed" or more 3D sound effect, it is not something that I feel comfortable. With the buds I can wear them all day long without much feeling the existence of the buds, but with the seals I had to take it off from time to time not mentioning constantly feeling the ears being sealed.

That may be the case but also different IEMs will have different levels of comfort. My FX700s and IE80s don't have a very tight seal when compared to my TF10s and I can wear them all day without discomfort. I suggest you try your search a little longer, you may come out rediscovering you music.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #138 of 571
Putting aside the comfort issue, personally I am not sure if I can say that I prefer the sealed sound (IEM) than the open sound (buds). I think either can be the choice depending on occasions of listening to the music. Personally I like the natural sound which does not bring me fatigue.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #139 of 571

Quote:
Putting aside the comfort issue, personally I am not sure if I can say that I prefer the sealed sound (IEM) than the open sound (buds). I think either can be the choice depending on occasions of listening to the music. Personally I like the natural sound which does not bring me fatigue.

Well I can't speak for you. All I can say is I tried the Top tier EX1000 and it was complete garbage to me due to the treble spike. But I didn't let that experience completely ruin IEMS for me. I found the FX700 considerably much easier to listen to and better sounding IMO. Their sound signatures are also a night and day difference. I find the FX700 to sound very natural sounding do to its superb timbre. I highly doubt any ear bud period could come close to that quality. Now full size headphones is a different story and still there are many that won't come close to the FX700 as well... And regarding the fit as you were talking about. The IEMs I am refering to don't need an air tight seal as you refer to. The FX700s sound better with a looser seal and I don't find any pressure on my ears with them. Same with the IE80. I can get a good seal but its not super tight where I feel any pressure. Only the TF10 gives me that kinda seal.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #140 of 571

Quote:
Well I can't speak for you. All I can say is I tried the Top tier EX1000 and it was complete garbage to me due to the treble spike. But I didn't let that experience completely ruin IEMS for me. I found the FX700 considerably much easier to listen to and better sounding IMO. Their sound signatures are also a night and day difference. I find the FX700 to sound very natural sounding do to its superb timbre. I highly doubt any ear bud period could come close to that quality. Now full size headphones is a different story and still there are many that won't come close to the FX700 as well... And regarding the fit as you were talking about. The IEMs I am refering to don't need an air tight seal as you refer to. The FX700s sound better with a looser seal and I don't find any pressure on my ears with them. Same with the IE80. I can get a good seal but its not super tight where I feel any pressure. Only the TF10 gives me that kinda seal.

I don't like cans period. I want to be loose without pressure. The only time I may put on the cans is when I am on the planes.

Where did you buy the FX700? It seems no store is selling it from the US.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #141 of 571
lol I swear Lee has an agenda against the EX 'phones.

Maybe you should just try other earbuds? Like along the like of the Yuin PK3 or something. I personally had the PK2 and it made for a pretty nice listen. But there's almost no time when I don't want isolation so I got rid of them.

Jan 3, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #142 of 571

Quote:

Quote:
I don't like cans period. I want to be loose without pressure. The only time I may put on the cans is when I am on the planes.

Where did you buy the FX700? It seems no store is selling it from the US.

They sell them on ebay. They ship from Japan though. You'd actually get a much better deal buying them second hand here on headfi. That is what I did and I saved a pretty penny. The IE80s are also another good alternative. They don't require such a perfect seal as the EX series does and give you a full size headphone like sound stage.

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #143 of 571
The EX600 seems coming out of initial slump and starts delivering results. The harshness has apparently subdued and I am not sure if that has anything to do with the burn in with my brain or the IEM. Also I am now using the LL size hybrid tips which seem working great for the sound and comfort. With these tips I no longer feel as much discomfort as before from long hrs of using the EX600.

With that said, I am still amazed by the SQ brought by the buds. If anyone had the chance to try the buds (give1 wk burn in and strip to naked metal), please let me know what you think.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #144 of 571
Glad to hear it, and welcome to the EX-Men! LOL
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #146 of 571
+1 for FX700!!

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #147 of 571
For now I think I am done with the seal-type IEM because of comfort issue for long hrs of wearing.

Let me know if there are any buds (in addition to mine) out there that can compete with the IEM's. I normally have the phones on as long as I am in the office.

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #148 of 571

Quote:
For now I think I am done with the seal-type IEM because of comfort issue for long hrs of wearing.

Let me know if there are any buds (in addition to mine) out there that can compete with the IEM's. I normally have the phones on as long as I am in the office.

Try foam tips.

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #149 of 571
Quote:

The Audio Technica EC700 are excellent, extremely confortable and (unlike buds) stay firmly in place during any kind of activity. Read this review.

The hard part is finding a genuine pair for a good price nowadays, cause there are a lot of fakes out there. But they're well worth about $120-$150 imo.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #150 of 571
Thanks for the info. That looks cool.

Anyway, I ordered the Sennheiser MX 980 from Amazon. I like the buds and this appears to be one of the best out there according to the hifi fans. Of course I can always send it back to Amazon if I don't like it.

Really want to try that GR07 as well. It's odd that the Chinese -made GR07 has not been popularly accepted by the Chinese hifi fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back