Am I so bad in identifying sound quality?
Jan 12, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #166 of 571

Quote:
I'm just curious if you have small ears? I really think you had major fit issues with the IE7s. Those things fit so well into my ear that they actually fit too well. My ear would pretty much eat them up while in your case it seems the driver was too big for your ears. I found the bass to be about even with the IE8 on stock settings and no mid bass issues. The IE7s also has a wonderful mid range that I feel rivals the SE530s. Treble was more it's weak point and bass could use more control. I'd say the quality of bass though is better than the coppers.

No way the IE7's could compete with the se535's.
I've heard both, and although I think that £45 is the MAX I would pay for the IE7's and £180 is MAX I would pay for the se535's I don't find the ie7's win on any categories against the se535's.

I had no fit issues, It's just the way the IE7's were designed, over-the-ear + have an open shaped nozzle, with stock tips that aren't deep insertion tips.

Quote:
The order for the Sennheiser MX 980 was canceled. Thanks to Amazon for doing nothing about the order for 3  days.

Here is the confession:

The EX600 has finally taken over the earbuds. I have not used the buds for the last 3 days. I don't know if this kicked in due to more burn-ins (brain and the toy), but right now I really enjoys the music with the EX600. While I wish the highs could be a little less harsh, I also realize that some of the stuff may have something to do with the recording quality and the lower bitrates. Therefore, I am converting everything to the 320 kbps. My computer is probably overheated doing this and it scares me to hear the noise from the fans running.

I almost ordered the IE80 (thanks to lee730 for the info) but now I put that on hold as well. For now I just want to enjoy the music with the EX600. I know I will get another pairs in the near future to extend my enjoyment of listening to the music.

I bought my son a Beats Studio (knowing a overpriced mediocre headphone) since he likes it. Now I have convinced him of retuning it and getting a better headphone and IEM instead. He mostly listens to hip-hop, pop and rap. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I'm glad you took back the beats - they are shockingly bad - especially the studios..I can't put it into words.
I suggest you look at the XB500/700's and yes, they are almost 1/3 if not 1/5 of the price...

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #167 of 571

Quote:
The order for the Sennheiser MX 980 was canceled. Thanks to Amazon for doing nothing about the order for 3  days.

Here is the confession:

The EX600 has finally taken over the earbuds. I have not used the buds for the last 3 days. I don't know if this kicked in due to more burn-ins (brain and the toy), but right now I really enjoys the music with the EX600. While I wish the highs could be a little less harsh, I also realize that some of the stuff may have something to do with the recording quality and the lower bitrates. Therefore, I am converting everything to the 320 kbps. My computer is probably overheated doing this and it scares me to hear the noise from the fans running.

I almost ordered the IE80 (thanks to lee730 for the info) but now I put that on hold as well. For now I just want to enjoy the music with the EX600. I know I will get another pairs in the near future to extend my enjoyment of listening to the music.

I bought my son a Beats Studio (knowing a overpriced mediocre headphone) since he likes it. Now I have convinced him of retuning it and getting a better headphone and IEM instead. He mostly listens to hip-hop, pop and rap. Any recommendations are appreciated.

You can't convert from a lower bitrate to a higher bitrate and expect a gain in sound quality. The quality was already lost when converted/ripped to lower bitrates in the first place. The computer won't know what to put into all the extra space, so it's going to put 0's until all bytes are filled. Empty space, in other words. You have to re-rip all of your songs, or download them again.

As for your son: I'd suggest the Denon D2000 for him, but they aren't portable in any way, and are supposed to be used at home. As for IEMs, I've heard great things about the JVC FX500/700 - but I haven't tried them myself. I will order a pair myself when the economy's a little brighter (my personal economy that is LOL) as my wife is already on me for buying expensive headphones. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #169 of 571
Thats what makes this hobby a subjective one ain't it. I hated the SE530s, sounded like **** to these ears lol. The only good thing on them was the mid range and still I preferred the IE7s mid range (got rid of those too a while ago). IMO the IE80 and FX700 mop the floor with Shure :)

Quote:

No way the IE7's could compete with the se535's.
I've heard both, and although I think that £45 is the MAX I would pay for the IE7's and £180 is MAX I would pay for the se535's I don't find the ie7's win on any categories against the se535's.

I had no fit issues, It's just the way the IE7's were designed, over-the-ear + have an open shaped nozzle, with stock tips that aren't deep insertion tips.

I'm glad you took back the beats - they are shockingly bad - especially the studios..I can't put it into words.
I suggest you look at the XB500/700's and yes, they are almost 1/3 if not 1/5 of the price...

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #170 of 571

Quote:
You can't convert from a lower bitrate to a higher bitrate and expect a gain in sound quality. The quality was already lost when converted/ripped to lower bitrates in the first place. The computer won't know what to put into all the extra space, so it's going to put 0's until all bytes are filled. Empty space, in other words. You have to re-rip all of your songs, or download them again.

As for your son: I'd suggest the Denon D2000 for him, but they aren't portable in any way, and are supposed to be used at home. As for IEMs, I've heard great things about the JVC FX500/700 - but I haven't tried them myself. I will order a pair myself when the economy's a little brighter (my personal economy that is LOL) as my wife is already on me for buying expensive headphones. 

Definitely +1 on HOME USE, but I very very much doubt his son will use it for home use - I might be wrong though.
But with the purchase of beats studios, which are small and portable, I wouldn't think the D2k's are a good suggestion.

Something smaller like the HDII's or the XB500's might be better + they are also cheaper :)

Quote:
Thats what makes this hobby a subjective one ain't it. I hated the SE530s, sounded like **** to these ears lol. The only good thing on them was the mid range and still I preferred the IE7s mid range (got rid of those too a while ago). IMO the IE80 and FX700 mop the floor with Shure :)

haha - well yes that's the problem with reading earphones reviews etc.
I don't think me and sennheiser EARPHONES blend well together.
Whereas when i demo sennheiser headphones, I think they sound brilliant.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #171 of 571

Quote:

Sorry I was not clear about the converting. I am actually converting from the original APE or FLAC files from my library.

For my son, I want to keep the same budget (around $300 or $350 max) for getting him both a headphone and IEM.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #173 of 571
My son already tried the XB500. He said it hurts a little bit after using for a little longer.

I once tried the XB500 for classical music, man it is crap I have to say.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #175 of 571

Quote:
The headphones will be mostly used at home since I am getting him the IEM. He tried the Bose IEM the other day and said he likes it.

yes the XB500's aren't classical cans lol
They are bassy ones, and thus for hip-hop etc they are good.

In what way did the XB500's hurt your son lol?

If its for indoors, Denon AH-D2000's I just got them in, and I'm very very impressed with them :)

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #176 of 571

Quote:
Sorry I was not clear about the converting. I am actually converting from the original APE or FLAC files from my library.

For my son, I want to keep the same budget (around $300 or $350 max) for getting him both a headphone and IEM.

Ah, great. I just wanted to say that to look smart and so on (I'm actually a computer scientist so I suppose I should know about data LOL). :wink:

Anyway, as for your budget: You could still get him the D2000 for home use AND the FX500 for portable use AND stay somewhere around $350 (granted you're from the states). I think J&R has VERY good prices on the D2000 at times (around $200 or even lower sometimes), but don't quote me on that one - it's just observations going from memory. As for the FX500 they are $159 plus shipping at seyo-shop. So, obviously this means you'd have to import the IEMs from Japan and buy the D2000 online, but seeing as your budget would be somewhat around the headphones I've suggested maybe it would be worth it? It's up to you guys, but that's probably how I would do it if I had around $350 and lived in the states.

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #178 of 571
Thanks guys for the info. I will definitely check them out.

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #179 of 571

Quote:
yes the XB500's aren't classical cans lol
They are bassy ones, and thus for hip-hop etc they are good.

In what way did the XB500's hurt your son lol?

If its for indoors, Denon AH-D2000's I just got them in, and I'm very very impressed with them :)

He felt his brain was a little hurt if he put it on for a long while. and he said that was not the case with the Beats.

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #180 of 571

Quote:
He felt his brain was a little hurt if he put it on for a long while. and he said that was not the case with the Beats.

Uh oh. Quality was too mind blowing so he needed to rest his brain for a bit...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back