Am I right in assuming BOSE is not a good brand for portable audio?
Sep 11, 2008 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Orlando

New Head-Fier
It seems people around me that don't look into audio equip at all always use BOSE as their example of big brand audio. My usual response is, "BOSE? No, they're making you pay a lot more for a lot less."

Am I wrong? Specifically in headphones and IEMs?

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems people around me that don't look into audio equip at all always use BOSE as their example of big brand audio. My usual response is, "BOSE? No, they're making you pay a lot more for a lot less."

Am I wrong? Specifically in headphones and IEMs?

Not wrong at all. Not saying the product is crap, but it's just horridly ovepriced when you can much better at the same pricerange from other better brands.
But hey, marketing rules. You only need to search 'bose' here to find that answer.

Sep 12, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 19
Bose: Buy other sound equipment.

Their products aren't awful, but like everyone said here, it's far too expensive for what you get. Their sound could be easily beaten, and is easily beaten.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 19
I think their IE's are really pretty nice. They're not IEM's, but rather canal phones, so they don't block out much of the outside noise. If one doesn't need the isolation, and is willing to use an amp (they do need it), it offers a very warm, relaxed and fatigue-free sound. They're not something that grabs your attention at first listen, but with prolonged listening sessions, you realize how nice they actually are.

And comfort...man, I know of no other IEM, canal phone, earbud that's more comfortable than the Bose IE. You can wear it for hours and not even notice they're on your ears.

The only drawback, and it was a big enough drawback that I ended up giving mine to my daughter, is that the earpads fall off the stem on a pretty regular basis. The mediums fit my ears fine, but they sounded much better, with fuller bass and soundstage, with the larges. And, by using the larges, placing them into and out of my ear wasn't as easy as with the mediums.

They truly became a pain in the butt. If not for that, though, I'd still have them.

So basically, I think they're worth the asking price. You should hear them for yourself, properly amped, and not rely so much on all the Bose-bashing folks. Let "your" ears decide. You might like them; you might not. You won't know until you try.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 19
I agree with the guy that said they are overpriced. I paid for equally good sounding headphones/iem's (AT and Senns) for about 40-50 percent cheaper. Although these companies are only known by the hardcore fan. If you wanna impress the usualy chick, I guess bose is a good appeal.
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 19
I own a pair of the first gen Bose IEM. In general, i think Bose products are decent but over priced. And this is coming from someone who appreciates "style" points perhaps a bit more than the average head-fier. Just to come clean...i own a pair of B&O's A8. Despite its SQ short comings (esp the complete lack of the low end), i still appreciate its stylish yet comfortable design. I have pretty small ears, and i have yet to find a better pair that'll stay on my ear during intense physical activities. But i digress..

Anyway when i first got the Bose IEM, i was really impressed. Considering that hip hop and electronica are my main genres, i was truly a happy camper. But after using it some more, i began to realize that i was trading a lot of clarity (was using a pair of ety er6 beforehand) for the "enhanced" bass. Combined with the fact that i started taking public transit for my daily commute, the IEM just didn't cut it anymore. I ended up giving it to my gf, who still uses it and absolutely loves it.

Anyway, just to summarize my impression/comments for the Bose IEM again:
- they are super comfortable (even more so than Image X10 imo)
- they block zero noise from the surrounding (which works out great for use at the office, but definitely not commuting)
- they do not stay in place if you move around AT ALL (i heard they fixed it in the second edition, but this was quite annoying)
- they really strong bass (the general public associate bass with good quality...although i find the bass to be too overpowering and the highs/mids to be muddled)
- decent pair for the price/comfort

Sep 12, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 19
Not necessarily right at all.

Bose TriPorts (Over ear) are about the most comfortable headphones on the planet. They are perfect for portable usage as they block out a TON of outside noise.

Pros: Great highs, good mid range, VERY comfortable, light weight, block out a ton of noise and easy to drive.

Cons: Fragile!, muddy base, thin cable.

I didn't mention price as a con as you can buy these very cheap on Amazon right now.

All the above is meant for the "over ear".

I'm not sure on the "in ear" but You can buy them for about $40 shipped on Amazon which I would say is a great deal.

This is coming from someone who has owned his TriPorts since the beginning. Once they are burned in they get a lot better.

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 19
f94669c2.jpg

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #15 of 19
I'm not a bose basher...I think they make good products that fit a certain niche.

That said, I tried the triports and found the noise isolation terrible. They don't go into your ear and that killed it for me. There are many better 'phones at the price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back