Am I opening a door here?
Dec 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AudioSki

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have been happy with my M50s and my cheap V-Moda ear buds for a while now. Just tonight I decided to try out the cotton ball mod for my M50s to see if I liked it. So far I have loved it. I have been listening to my music again because of the new sound. It seems to be clearer and have a better sound stage. My question is, if I upgraded to something that is open like the AD700s or some Grados, would it be like this but better? I have about 200 to spend and I also want to get an E7 so I can spend about 100 on headphones. I would like good bass (not overpowering but there) and good clarity. Obviously sound stage would come with the open design. You guys have any suggestions? I am afraid that this mod has really opened my eyes and now my casual attitude towards sound will be taking a turn for the more hardcore soon. I am getting a tax return soon and I have a feeling I know where that will be going
atsmile.gif

EDIT: I forgot to mention what I listen to. I listen to stuff like Frank Ocean (heavy on the vocal as it is R&B), Alternative Rock (Radiohead and the like), Metal (Avenged Sevenfold), Hip Hop, Electronic, and sometimes Reggae. Also I would like them to be comfortable.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Fiio E7 plus AD700s would probably be very bass light. Are you really looking to purchase a portable battery powered amp like the E7/E17?) Maybe try get a DAC/amp like Fiio E10 the for your M50 first and see if that will open your M50s up a bit more - note: maybe search up on if the M50s will benefit with amping.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 5
I was just going to suggest that the FiiO E11 might go well with your M50, but I do agree, the AD700 are very bass light. Maybe try an amp first. :)

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Always buy one thing first and see how you like it. I say buy the amp first or go for another headphone (not the ad700). The ad700 is really soft on the bass and much more polite sounding, but you get good soundstage. How about the ultrasone hifi 580?

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks guys, I will buy an amp first and try it out. I guess I shouldn't be so quick to jump to another headphone as I am enjoying my M50s immensely with this mod.

Quote:
Always buy one thing first and see how you like it. I say buy the amp first or go for another headphone (not the ad700). The ad700 is really soft on the bass and much more polite sounding, but you get good soundstage. How about the ultrasone hifi 580?

About the 580s, I've heard they're nice phones but I am looking for something open. Is there any open headphone that isn't so light on the bass? I can wait for a little bit and save up if I need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back