Aluminium from your kitchen to shield your cables?
Jan 8, 2018 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

ScareDe2

500+ Head-Fier
I took aluminium paper from the kitchen and I "shielded" from the outside about 30 feet of cable with it. The sound is better and one other person has confirm that it now sounds better. Every power cables have now aluminium paper around it; my psu. my rooter, my modem and DAC + 12 feet of ethernet cat 6 cables.

Great improvement and it cost like 50 cents.

...i am gonna listen to 50 cent right now. :)

Discuss.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 48
There was a nut job here a few years back who would wrap everything in foil and whisper breathlessly about it in weird youtube videos. I'll ask the obvious question that I already know the answer to... Did you and your friend conduct a double blind A/B switched level matched listening test to determine there was an improvement, or did you just go "WOW! Look at the foil! It sounds GREAT!"

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 48
You expect the levels to change with addition of aluminum foil???

I have been reading your pots and I have a doubt about Dr. Toole work and I don’t have easy access to his books.

Does Dr. Toole have a preference for mono setups when he wants to assess speakers by inquiring individuals about their perceptions?

If yes, why mono instead of stereo?

Does him state explicitly the motives for such choice?

Would you please help me?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 48
Does Dr. Toole have a preference for mono setups when he wants to assess speakers by inquiring individuals about their perceptions?

If yes, why mono instead of stereo?
That's off-topic so I will answer quickly and if there is interest, it should go into its own thread.

At the start, Harman didn't believe in mono testing. So they set up a room that hydraulically switched full surround system speakers. Here is a picture of it:

Harman Shuffler Testing Room #2.PNG

Through testing, they realized that listeners were less critical to artifacts when presented in stereo vs mono. Indeed moving up to full surround made them even less picky.

They conducted full testing on them and published the results in the AES paper, Comparison of Loudspeaker-Room Equalization Preferences for Multichannel, Stereo, and Mono Reproductions: Are Listeners More Discriminating in Mono?

The answer turned out to be "yes" to that question.

In controlled listening tests of Room EQ systems, here were the scores as they went from mono to stereo and then surround:

upload_2018-1-8_21-12-5.png

I have circled the NO EQ as an example. Notice that listeners gave very low scores in mono listening (blue). In exact same test, when the number of channels was increased to full surround, they almost became deaf to those artifacts!

Explanation is simple: the feeling of envelopment we get from stereo to full surround is so positive that we forget and forgive what can be wrong in the presentation.

Same thing exists in video by the way. Professional monitors have a button on them to turn off color so that we can see the artifacts in luminance channel (black and white). While those artifacts are there all the time, color makes the picture "too pretty" and harder to fault.

So while Harman still has the ability to perform multi-channel AB testing, they are focused on mono testing due to how conclusive this research has been.

BTW, the authors of the above paper were two of my colleagues, Allan Devantier and Sean Olive and Sean Hess. Not Dr. Toole.

The top worry about any speaker (or room) is the tonality. Mono is revealing of that just the same. After all, there is nothing the other speakers can do to change the timbre of another speaker in the room.

I have taken the "mono" test a couple of times and I can attest to it personally on how revealing it is of differences in speakers. Here is a picture of one of the times I took the test:

IMG_1821-small more compressed.jpg

You can see the moving platform underneath each speaker. Of course there is a curtain there normally so you can't see which speaker is which. It is the best reality show in town when the curtains open. :)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 48
I have been reading your pots and I have a doubt about Dr. Toole work and I don’t have easy access to his books. Does Dr. Toole have a preference for mono setups when he wants to assess speakers by inquiring individuals about their perceptions?

The books being quoted are fine. The context is the question. Mono is useful because it simplifies the problem. The more speakers you have, the more sound bounces around in different directions. By reducing things to mono, you can grasp it easier.

But feel free to get confused by the obfuscation that is on display.

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 48
The books being quoted are fine.
No book was quoted. The published work is from a paper presented at Audio Engineering Society (AES) Convention (2008).

There is of course strong supportive writing in Dr. Toole's book, Sound Reproduction, Loudspeakers and Rooms

upload_2018-1-8_21-36-44.png

This is remarkable finding in that even spatial qualities were easier to determine by listeners in mono than stereo!

upload_2018-1-8_21-42-37.png

Next time you are shopping for a subwoofer, try listening to it alone. You will learn so much from its response that way than it supporting the main speakers!

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 48
OK. fine. You aren't even disagreeing with me. You're just trying to trot out your Toole. I'm not into that game. I am satisfied with myself and my place in the world.

toole.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 48
The important thing is to leave enough aluminum foil for a hat.

Tin foil can lead to an amplification rather than an attenuation of waves, acting as a sort of antenna for your thoughts, or even worse an antenna for thought control. The only true solution is a copper mesh hat.\

And tin foil on your cables only makes it easier to read their thoughts too. Duh.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 48
When I was a kid my dad came home with a spindle of aluminum wire that he got free from a client. I wired my whole stereo system with it. But I found that whenever he got on his ham radio rig, his transmissions came through my speakers even when the amp wasn't turned on! Aluminum must make a good antenna for RF interference! I was about ten years old and I learned you can't solder it either.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 48
Then why cables are shielded with metals such as aluminium? Just because there is an outer jacket doesn't change the shielding properties. Might be interesting if someone else try this simple experience and compare results. Of course the audio signal must already be good so a small improvement is detectable. I think I have a very clean signal already, relative to what I can spend on audio equipment of course. I am within the $5k range only.

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #14 of 48
Try lead shielding! Or gold!

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #15 of 48
:)
That being said, my audio system completely destroy the $100k sound system at my nearest audio center. I was quite disappointed when I heard it. I expected to be mindblowed. The sound was messy, image was all weird and sound was muffled compared to my Schiit stack. I told the seller there might be a problem with the cables have you tried to wrap them with aluminum? And he just answered me the speakers were brand new and probably needed to break in. I visited the store 2 weeks later and the sound have not change much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back