Aluminium from your kitchen to shield your cables?
Jan 9, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #16 of 48
They probably have a lousy room and no equalization. I haven't found any correlation between price and sound quality. I have found a correlation between the willingness of the owner of the system to analyze and make it work and sound quality though.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #17 of 48
When I was a kid my dad came home with a spindle of aluminum wire that he got free from a client. I wired my whole stereo system with it. But I found that whenever he got on his ham radio rig, his transmissions came through my speakers even when the amp wasn't turned on! Aluminum must make a good antenna for RF interference! I was about ten years old and I learned you can't solder it either.

I remember when people would wrap aluminum around TV antennas to boost signal. A person holding onto it still seemed to work better though.

Jan 9, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #18 of 48
There was a nut job here a few years back who would wrap everything in foil and whisper breathlessly about it in weird youtube videos. I'll ask the obvious question that I already know the answer to... Did you and your friend conduct a double blind A/B switched level matched listening test to determine there was an improvement, or did you just go "WOW! Look at the foil! It sounds GREAT!"

I was going to ask "Why bother with this?" but I guess it's something to do. :ksc75smile:

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #19 of 48
I remember when people would wrap aluminum around TV antennas to boost signal. A person holding onto it still seemed to work better though.

I was talking to a wacky old lady actress once and she confided in me that she kept a big box of loam on top of her TV to absorb the "dangerous cancer causing waves". She also told me never to eat the black spots on a potato because that is potato cancer.

Now maybe we get to see some charts and yellow highlighted quotes from books about the proper application of audiophile grade A/V loam!

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #20 of 48
Then why cables are shielded with metals such as aluminium? Just because there is an outer jacket doesn't change the shielding properties. Might be interesting if someone else try this simple experience and compare results.
I am happy to make some measurements. What specific scenario do we want to test? Wrapping an interconnect on the output of the DAC to my measurement gear? Or its power cable?

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #21 of 48
with and without hat too!

Jan 9, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #22 of 48
(...)
They conducted full testing on them and published the results in the AES paper, Comparison of Loudspeaker-Room Equalization Preferences for Multichannel, Stereo, and Mono Reproductions: Are Listeners More Discriminating in Mono?

The answer turned out to be "yes" to that question.

(...)

Thank you for your answer.

You are right, it was off topic.

I need to mature the questions I have.

If and when I find a better way of elaborating them, I will ask them in a more appropriate thread.

Sorry.

Jan 9, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #23 of 48
(...) Mono is useful because it simplifies the problem. The more speakers you have, the more sound bounces around in different directions. By reducing things to mono, you can grasp it easier.
(...)

Thank you for your answer also.

I hoped Dr. Toole had elaborated on theoretical reasons for this difference, but apparently he restricted himself to describing the results of the statistics.

I agree that loudspeakers directivity and room acoustics are two theoretical reasons.

I just wanted to know if Dr. Toole considered/proposed others.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #24 of 48
I hoped Dr. Toole had elaborated on theoretical reasons for this difference, but apparently he restricted himself to describing the results of the statistics.

There's a lot of that going around!

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #25 of 48
OK. fine. You aren't even disagreeing with me. You're just trying to trot out your Toole. I'm not into that game. I am satisfied with myself and my place in the world.
You didn't know the difference between a book, a convention paper, and a peer-reviewed journal paper. Many subjectivists are doctors and as such, quite familiar with those concepts. Get that wrong in front of them and they will hang you by your tie in the public square as not knowing the first thing about science. :)

And what you repeated after my post was not correct either. Mono testing is not done because it "simplifies the problem." It is done because it is more accurate. That it is simpler too, makes it a bonus, not the reason.

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #26 of 48
You didn't know the difference between a book, a convention paper, and a peer-reviewed journal paper.

That's because all of them look like snippets taken out of context with yellow highlighter all over them!

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #27 of 48
I'm sure 'doctors and such' would love to have their work presented in isolated, out of context highlighted wads blown across a forum at random. That's a great way to respect their work and conclusions.

But more importantly.... Hanging by ties in public squares? That's such a grotesque image. it makes me wonder if the person who invoked that image lives in a free society.

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #28 of 48
That's because all of them look like snippets taken out of context with yellow highlighter all over them!
That's because you are not paying any attention to what is written. Here it is again from my post:

upload_2018-1-9_19-9-57.png

You see how it says AES paper? When it says that, it is not a book! :) You or anyone else can go to AES website and purchase the paper if you think it says something else. Until then, as I said, it is important to understand the basic vocabulary of scientific audio discussion.

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #29 of 48
That's because you are not paying any attention to what is written.

You've trained me not to pay attention. Ask Strangelove how you did that if you don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back