Alternatives to the Emotiva Stealth DC-1
Oct 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

BigTerminator

100+ Head-Fier
I am pretty set on buying this. Can anyone give me a reason not to buy the Emotiva Stealth DC-1? 

Compared to this and most any other all in one unit, it just cannot match the features. The stealth has balanced and unbalanced outputs, pre amp functionality with unbalanced inputs, and state of the art DAC, and a remote. Every digital input known to man, and I am sure the headphone amp is pretty good as well. Maybe these type of products put greater emphasis on the amp portion, but the Stealth DC-1 seems unbeatable. 

Convince me otherwise, I plan on buying something by soon.

As for Stealth DC-1 owners, how much do you love it? And how is the headphone amp on it?  

P.S. - I love my Musical Fidelity V90 DAC so I am not looking for an upgrade in sound but an upgrade in features. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 46
I haven't tried the DC-1, but I use the Emotiva Big Ego at work and it is incredible value for the money. Everything I've read about the DC-1 leads me to believe that you'd have a lot of trouble finding anything as good for the money.

The Stealth DC-1, from what I've read, has a great DAC section and a good AMP.

During the holiday sale, I can't imagine a better overall deal.

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 46
I already bought it. Will listen to it on Friday. I tried looking for alternatives but just couldn't. Hopefully it is as good as everyone says it is. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 46
I'd be interested in hearing your impressions
Big Emotiva fan and looking for a dac

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 46
Hmmh. Even at the special offer price of $400 it's easily possible to get transparent audio, all the functionality (and much more from) plus it's own power supply from alternative suppliers.

Focusrite 2i4 and 6i6. MOTU Microbook and Audio Express. native instruments Audio 6 to name just a few examples.

If you have got active monitors and want a combined monitor controller and Audio Interface (pro multichannel DAC/ADC) you can an Audient iD14.

I'm sure the Emotiva is a fine bit of kit but, lets be fair, it's not cheap nor is it as fully featured as pro and semi pro gear in the same market.

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 46
  I haven't tried the DC-1, but I use the Emotiva Big Ego at work and it is incredible value for the money. Everything I've read about the DC-1 leads me to believe that you'd have a lot of trouble finding anything as good for the money.

The Stealth DC-1, from what I've read, has a great DAC section and a good AMP. The Wolfson chips it uses are great fun to listen to in other DACs I've tried using the same.

During the holiday sale, I can't imagine a better overall deal.

The DC-1 uses dual AD1955 d/a converter chips per channel.

Oct 30, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 46
  Hmmh. Even at the special offer price of $400 it's easily possible to get transparent audio, all the functionality (and much more from) plus it's own power supply from alternative suppliers.

Focusrite 2i4 and 6i6. MOTU Microbook and Audio Express. native instruments Audio 6 to name just a few examples.

If you have got active monitors and want a combined monitor controller and Audio Interface (pro multichannel DAC/ADC) you can an Audient iD14.

I'm sure the Emotiva is a fine bit of kit but, lets be fair, it's not cheap nor is it as fully featured as pro and semi pro gear in the same market.

Very misleading conclusions......

I own the DC-1 , the Grace m920 and the Focusrite 212.

The DC-1 has virtually all the same many features of the Grace, and handily outperforms the Focusrite, which I use for recording my guitar.

IMO, the DC-1 is the best value in a full featured dac/preamp/headphone available.

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 46
So just taking the MOTU Audio Express as an example from among many. This is what you get for $395 at Sweetwater.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/audio-express/summary.html

Compared to the, estimable but even on special offer $400,  Emotiva.

https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1

It's not even close in value terms. Is it? Come on!  Provided you accept that the audio from either is totally transparent to the human ear.

Both USA companies too. If that matters to you. I mean. Both could be excellent products that might give immense satisfaction for years but in terms of value for money? Emotion aside, Intercontinental distribution and economy of scale make the difference. Owning what you think of as a cult product is undoubtably a nice feeling but don't kid yourself it's a good value. because it isn't. It's not their fault either. they simply don't sell enough of them globally to compete on price. 

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 46
  So just taking the MOTU Audio Express as an example from among many. This is what you get for $395 at Sweetwater.

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/audio-express/summary.html

Compared to the, estimable but even on special offer $400,  Emotiva.

https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1

It's not even close in value terms. Is it? Come on!  Provided you accept that the audio from either is totally transparent to the human ear.

Both USA companies too. If that matters to you. I mean. Both could be excellent products that might give immense satisfaction for years but in terms of value for money? Emotion aside, Intercontinental distribution and economy of scale make the difference. Owning what you think of as a cult product is undoubtably a nice feeling but don't kid yourself it's a good value. because it isn't. It's not their fault either. they simply don't sell enough of them globally to compete on price. 

No need to dive into this argument. If we all believed everything was audibly transparent, we'd all be using our onboard motherboard audio. Instead, we choose to believe there are better implementations of DACs and Amps, and that balanced is better than single-ended, and that 192kHz is better than 96kHz.

Without objective measurements of the Motu and the DC-1, there's no way to argue which is "better."

I've had several audio interfaces in the past and they have their place, but their place is generally for input and mixing, not for perfect audio.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 46
So I have listened to the Stealth DC-1 and have compared it to my Musical Fidelity V90 DAC and the Monoprice DAC/AMP. I used my speakers and sub to compare all 3 DAC's. I used the analog input on the DC-1 so I could switch between DAC's within a second. I will give you guys the real truth. Going from the $100 to $500 DAC, the difference was extremely small. The Monoprice sounded slightly less smooth, and less full, but not something you would notice even when you are A/B'ing. The V90 and DC-1 were practically identical. MAYBE, a little more bass to the DC-1, lets just say 1% more. The difference was pretty much null. Any blind testing would result in guessing. I have a very good sounding setup, if there was a difference, it would have been picked up. 

As for the amp, I tested the DT990 Premium 600ohm and the Hifiman 400S. The DT990 was pretty much identical on both the Monoprice and DC-1. The 400S again was so close that I would probably fail a test comparing both. But I think the DC-1 had a slight edge in clarity, with a tiny bit more separation.  Also, I ran the DT990 and HE400S at the same time on the DC-1, the headphone amp has the exact same power and quality no matter if you are driving one or two headphones. Pretty neat but when am I going to need 2 headphone outputs? Also at max volume it is quite it is completely silent. Again, you could get the Monoprice and have 99% of the sound.

But I do not regret getting the DC-1. The build quality is very nice, with the remote control being a pleasant surprise as it is a nice chunk of metal. It has a remote control, pre-amp, balanced and unbalanced outputs (useful as I run as subwoofer, would not need any splitters), analog input, and two headphone outputs. Most features I do not need, but still nice to have when my setup changes. This truly is an end game setup as **** really will not make a difference if you go higher up. Next upgrade will be tangible, maybe some Audeze LCD 2's or an SVS SB2000. 

All the reviews I see on headphone amps and DACs as radically changing the sound is complete BS. It might change the color of the sound slightly, but there will not be any eureka moments. I tried so hard to tell a difference, even trying to get some placebo effect going, and still not much of anything. Any difference could have been easily been eq'd. 

The headphones sounded different. Not the supporting equipment. But still, the Stealth DC-1 is a great package even for $400. But do not stay up at night wondering if you can extract more life out of your equipment by upgrading the DAC/Amp, unless if it is complete ****. This is not indicative of the Stealth sounding like crap, just everything else sounded so good.  

What do you mean by this? 

Are you calling Emotiva a cult company? I have seen many people say this. They make good stuff that is affordable, that is why they have a loyal fan base. I love my Airmotiv 5S's, and would not touch upgrading my speakers. They make good stuff, that is why I got the Stealth DC-1. Originally I was just going to add a Schiit Asgard 2 to my V90 and use the pre amp for speakers, but it would have taken too much space and still not have all the flexibility and features the Stealth has. 

You are right that none of this is a good value, as you go above $100 it pretty much is a waste, but the hobby is about more than that. People buy expensive pens, when any will do. 

Lastly, my Xonar and the Yulong headphone amp sounded identical as well to other said amps/dacs and even the Teac UD-H01 does as well. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 46
Thanks for the update!

Your setup is basically 90% of the way to the top. You're dead on with your thoughts there.

If you had headphones that scaled super well with gear like Sennheiser HD650s and a fancier amp (but same dac) and very good lossless recordings, you could A/B between the Monoprice and that setup for sure.

With my JVC HA-DX2000s, I can't distinguish between a good DAC and a great DAC. With my Sennheiser HD650s, I can with the right amp.

For example, I can identify the Emotiva Big Ego, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, and Audio-GD Reference 5 when using an Audio-GD Roc amp and Sennheiser HD650s with balanced cables.

Swap that for a Project Ember II amp and a single-ended cable or the JVC and I usually can't.

Even then, we're talking less than 10% different. I can only reliably ID the DAC on flac files of songs I'm very familiar with.

Throw Google Play Music at me (which I'm usually using at work) and I usually can't tell the difference, especially if I'm doing something other than trying to spot differences.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #14 of 46
The emphasis I believe should just be on the actual music producing components, the headphones and speakers. I started with a Xonar Essence ST. Hearing everyone rave about better DAC's and better amps, I got "better DAC's and amps" and the difference is nothing to write home about. I love cool audio equipment and would pay a premium for quality, but these bold claims need to go away.

EQ'ing my subwoofer to be flatter in my room did way more than any DAC could.

What part of my setup do you think is 90%? If I could get a bigger room, and do some room treatment, my speaker system could be much better. But even without that, it is truly awesome. I love my DT990's, just wish I didn't have to eq all that treble out. But I love deep ass bass. My next upgrade would have to be either a pair of Audeze or a sealed subwoofer. I see you are a bass head as well.

As for the amp and DAC, the Monoprice has to be around 90-95% with the Stealth a couple points ahead. I am done with all the hype. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back