Alternatives to the Emotiva Stealth DC-1
Nov 29, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #31 of 46
The Saga looks interesting, somehow I missed its existence. Maybe that's all I need and keep my existing DAC. Tubes may take up to 100hrs to burn in. What tube does it come with? My guess it is not the best one made in China or Russia, you could get better results with a nicer western-made NOS tube, or even a used one.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:55 PM Post #32 of 46
Good question. Not sure of the brand. It's a 6SN7. I'll check it out tonight. New to the tube thing. There is someone on the forum that has rolled some different tubes. He mentioned a red base rca and one from ge as sounding better.

The Saga is neutral. Doesn't sound tubey. Both the dacs sounded good, similar. There are very small differences, not necessarily better or worse. I think I'd have to step up quite a bit to hear a big difference for the better. Maybe the Gumby?

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #33 of 46
Tubes make a lot of difference. New tubes from China sound much like bad solid-state from my limited experience out of the box, some say they may improve over time. I've been playing with a mini tube integrated amp lately and the difference between the stock Chinese tubes and some NOS GE/RCAs is night and day, but YMMV. Make sure you research tube compatibility first, likely there is not much to it for the Saga but in my case there were no direct replacement for the output tubes so I had to get some pin-out adapters so I could run better tubes.

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #36 of 46
See this page about compatibility, I think 6H8C is the same as 6N8S as 'H' is 'N' and 'C' is 'S' if transliterated from Cyrillic to Latin.

http://www.audiotubes.com/chinese.htm

Schiit says it is a 6SN7-BJT tube which is the western equivalent, the page at the above link agrees.

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #38 of 46
I have owned the Emotiva DC-1 for 2+ years and have used it with my Mackie HR 824 Mk1 monitors in my TV rig with sources like PS3, optical out from Samsung TV, Wii analog output. Not the most resolving monitors or sources in that rig. It sounds fun to listen to. I've periodically brought my Dangerous Music Source (powered by a massive Teradak linear power supply) to replace the DC-1 in that rig, and it's always been better than the DC-1, but the DC-1 still sounds fun.

However, today for the first time, I instead brought the Emotiva to my reference nearfield rig consisting of Bryston BDP-1 digital player (running WAV and outputting AES to DAC), Amphion One15 monitors, Amphion Amp100, Grimm TPR cables. The DC-1 was already quite warm as it was being used before I removed it, but I still let it warm up for 30 minutes just to make sure it was at its best before listening.

The DC-1 in this rig sounded very sterile and the lack of resolution was very quickly made obvious. The bass never went as deep and the trails were off. In every regard, the Dangerous Source spanked it. Even the headphone out on the Dangerous Source is significantly better. I gave up after 10-15 mins. The level of difference was just too big. To be fair though, I spent around the same on just the Teradak linear power supply as I did on the DC-1 itself, so it was never meant to be a fair competition.

For me what I was interesting in finding out was if the DC-1 could hang out in a high resolution rig, and the answer for me was a NO. For a mid-fi rig (like my TV rig), the DC-1 is the perfect value. However, for serious rigs, the DC-1 should not be used as it can be a significant bottleneck.

I find the inputs/outputs/features on the DC-1 to be at #1 to this day. The remote control is invaluable.

EDIT: Another thing I'd like to add after some more testing and careful level matching is that the Emotiva DC-1 is actually completely missing the lowest octaves. Regardless of the volume, it never reaches that low and gets a bit muddy.

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #42 of 46
Would you buy this Stealth DC -1 or the Schiit Jody ? I would get the Jody with the USB Dac. Would the stealth drive Fostex T50Mk3 ? Looking for the best $500 DAC/Amp that can drive hard to drive headphones and want to drive a pair of powered montiors such as Airmotiv 5s or 6s.
I also have a pair of HIFIMAN HE-400I which are much easier to drive.  

Thanks for your help . 

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #44 of 46
  I've had my DC-1 for a couple of years. Best preamp I've owned. I have only two sources, a SBT and a turntable, so lack of inputs isn't an issue. I use the balanced out to the amp and the unbalanced to the sub. Solid piece of equipment.

That being said, about ten days ago I purchased the Schiit Saga and Bimby. Maybe I was expecting too much. If I just use the SBT, I would give the nod to Schiit. Both sound similar. When I play vinyl, not so good with the Schiit. I'm giving it more time. Trying to find what doesn't play nice with the Schiit.

I listen to the SBT 95% of the time so I'm good with the Schiit. The DC-1 is no slouch. I'm not a headphone guy. I do have some entry level senns I used during the summer when it was too hot in my room.

I am putting together a moderately priced music system to play vinyl and digital files. Just bought a DC-1 which will arrive saturday. I plan to use it with an ADCOM GFA555II and KEF LS50 speakers which are also in route. So I can output to two speakers and also to a powered sub with the DC-1? What cable would I buy to connect the DC-1 to the sub?

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #45 of 46
  I am putting together a moderately priced music system to play vinyl and digital files. Just bought a DC-1 which will arrive saturday. I plan to use it with an ADCOM GFA555II and KEF LS50 speakers which are also in route. So I can output to two speakers and also to a powered sub with the DC-1? What cable would I buy to connect the DC-1 to the sub?

I believe you will be using the unbalanced outputs of the DC-1 to your Adcom, so, you could you get a y-cable to feed the sub. Or you could get a sub with speaker cable inputs, and drive it directly with the Adcom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back