Alternatives to the Emotiva Stealth DC-1
Nov 1, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 46
I would say that is accurate. But to upgrade it would have to be headphones, and those headphones would have to be over a $1000 for a tangible improvement, not something that just has a different sound signature. Are you a fan of the LCD 2's? The pre-fazor version wowed me, the fazor one didn't. 

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #17 of 46
  I would say that is accurate. But to upgrade it would have to be headphones, and those headphones would have to be over a $1000 for a tangible improvement, not something that just has a different sound signature. Are you a fan of the LCD 2's? The pre-fazor version wowed me, the fazor one didn't. 

Same exact boat on the LCD 2. I've heard two different pre-fazor LCD 2s and thought one was awesome and the other sounded okay. I've only heard one fazor and didn't like it as much. The only reason I don't own LCD 2s is because people talk about variability in objective measurements on Audeze headphones a lot. I'm not willing to spend that kind of money when quality control is an issue.

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #18 of 46
Hi BigTerminator,
I am glad to know that you own the TEAC UD-01 as well. I am looking to upgrade to the Emotiva DC1 given that the current pricing seems 'good' value. What are your thoughts in terms of the difference in quality of sound. In your opinion, would you consider this a worthwhile upgrade? I understand there may be some subjectivity involved but I am interested in your thoughts regarding this 'upgrade'. Thanks.

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #19 of 46
I would get the Emotiva if you needed its features. I am not the biggest fan of the DAC in the Teac, it has great bass but sounds dull up top. The headphone amp is more powerful in the DC-1, but as for quality, all the headphone amps I have tested in my possession have sounded almost identical, with subtle changes in warmth. 

The Emotiva has a much better build quality. It is all thick metal, the Teac is built well, but it is all plastic. The Emotiva is a preamp, has a remote, analog in, dual headphone out, a screen. Getting it would not really be that much of an upgrade in sound, but an upgrade in everything else. 

If you want something nicer, with a ton of features than get it. I would rather spend the money on the components though. What are you using with the Teac?  

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #20 of 46

I've been using the Dac 1 for couple of years to feed my Bottlehead Stereomour. A great sounding DAC with all the inputs and outputs I need plus a remote. 

Nov 20, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #21 of 46

Thank you, BigTerminator, for your comments. I am using the TEAC with a set of active monitors (Audioengine 5+). I do have the Yaqin CD3 tube buffer in between (using stock tubes). Features wise, there are plenty on the TEAC. So, extra features are not what I would be looking for. What are some possible options for components to improve on the SQ? Thanks again.

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #22 of 46
Instead of the Stealth DC-1, buy the Emotiva Airmotiv 5S to replace your Audioengine's. If you don't have a subwoofer, get one. That will completely transform your system. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #24 of 46
Just ran across this thread...

BigTerminator,

Glad you are enjoying your DC-1. I agree, for the $, I was hard pressed to find anything that can compete for it feature wise. I also GREATLY enjoy it as a DAC. Like you, I have a LOT of difficulty differing between DACs.

When I owned my previous DC-1 I compared it directly to a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic (that I also owned at the time) and a Cambridge Audio Azur 340C CD player (that I still own) and I doubt that I would have been able to tell either of them apart in blind listening tests. Perhaps it is because they are delta sigma chips and none of them are poor implementations by any means (IMO). 

The DC-1 is, however, the only headphone amp I have ever owned, so I don't have anything I can compare it to. It seems ok IMO, but I do admit that it's a bit noisy when the music is paused and I turn the volume all the way up while using bright earbuds. With any of the on ear or over ear headphones I have, this noise (hiss) is barely audible when doing the same test.

Thanks for your opinions and enjoy your DC-1, I LOVE mine! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #25 of 46

Thanks, BigTerminator! Just bought the Airmotiv 5S (plus a couple of XLR cables) and will sell the A+5 or give to one of my boys..

That's great to hear about getting the Airmotiv 5S! I paid $333 for mine and thought that was a great value, $280 is a steal. A subwoofer really brings the sound alive out of these. No 5" speaker has real bass. Let me know how they sound against the Audioengine's. 

Just ran across this thread...

BigTerminator,

Glad you are enjoying your DC-1. I agree, for the $, I was hard pressed to find anything that can compete for it feature wise. I also GREATLY enjoy it as a DAC. Like you, I have a LOT of difficulty differing between DACs.

When I owned my previous DC-1 I compared it directly to a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic (that I also owned at the time) and a Cambridge Audio Azur 340C CD player (that I still own) and I doubt that I would have been able to tell either of them apart in blind listening tests. Perhaps it is because they are delta sigma chips and none of them are poor implementations by any means (IMO). 

The DC-1 is, however, the only headphone amp I have ever owned, so I don't have anything I can compare it to. It seems ok IMO, but I do admit that it's a bit noisy when the music is paused and I turn the volume all the way up while using bright earbuds. With any of the on ear or over ear headphones I have, this noise (hiss) is barely audible when doing the same test.

Thanks for your opinions and enjoy your DC-1, I LOVE mine! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I am kind of disappointed that the headphone amp does make noise with sensitive headphones. For me it is a constant hum, the volume makes no difference. When it is silent, it is silent no matter what volume. With the Hifiman 400S (22ohms) there is no noise. Of course no noise with my DT990's.

Headphone amps sound pretty much the same. When comparing the Yulong A800, Monoprice DAC/Amp, Teac UD-H01, Xonar Essence ST, and the Emotiva Stealth DC-1, none of them have popped out as a clear winner. Very small sonic differences. The Emotiva is a very powerful and capable amp. With mid-fi headphones, it would be useless to get another amp, unless if you needed something that pairs better with IEM's. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #26 of 46
Hi BigTerminator,

I got the dc-1 a few days ago for my stereo setup. For certain songs, I do hear higher and wider soundstage than other dac I tried. I prefer it over the Peachtree Nova125 and Oppo 105.

May be you could sense more different between dac when using more revealing speakers. I upgraded my speakers to KEF LS50 about a month ago and could relly hear a different with cetain songs with this dac as compared to other dac.

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #27 of 46
My speaker system is very good, and my previous DAC was very good, so the DC-1 just had nothing really to improve upon. When using the DC-1, I really thought the only difference would be slightly better bass, and even that did not happen as I A/B'd. The DC-1 was noticeably better than the Monoprice DAC, but it wasn't as large of a margin than I would have expected. I primarily use my speakers for near field listening, I would imagine more of a difference could be heard if I was using my system in a bigger room at mid field. But even then the differences would be so minute that I would probably not pass a blind test. I love my setup and if I want better sound, then I will either buy better speakers, or treat the room.

Nov 28, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #29 of 46
It is an old thread, but I'm thinking of adding a DC-1 to my stable mainly for pre-amp duty with volume control/remote. Any updates, disappointments or otherwise? Would a used Benchmark DAC1 be much better? I like the feature set of the DC-1, especially the remote, and there is also the SP-1 which will give you some additional inputs and a phono preamp in a matching package.

As for DAC differences, I have some bookshelf reference-series Klipsches that I use for close-field through a miniwatt tube amp with upgraded tubes. Still searching for that perfect DAC on a budget and in the process I acquired an Arcam rDac, Centrance DACMini CX, Dacport Slim, and Emotiva Little Ego. They all sound recognizably different to my ears in this setup. I also have a vintage system with a Yamaha MX-630 power amp and JBL 100L speakers, and the differences there are more subtle which I believe has to do with the speakers as the Klipsches are sensitive and very revealing and unforgiving due to the horn-loaded design. Surprisingly but I prefer the Little Ego from this bunch, so I have high hopes for the DC-1, but I also realize it is a completely different beast.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #30 of 46
I've had my DC-1 for a couple of years. Best preamp I've owned. I have only two sources, a SBT and a turntable, so lack of inputs isn't an issue. I use the balanced out to the amp and the unbalanced to the sub. Solid piece of equipment.

That being said, about ten days ago I purchased the Schiit Saga and Bimby. Maybe I was expecting too much. If I just use the SBT, I would give the nod to Schiit. Both sound similar. When I play vinyl, not so good with the Schiit. I'm giving it more time. Trying to find what doesn't play nice with the Schiit.

I listen to the SBT 95% of the time so I'm good with the Schiit. The DC-1 is no slouch. I'm not a headphone guy. I do have some entry level senns I used during the summer when it was too hot in my room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back