Alternatives to Iphone 3G? (Now including rant)
Aug 28, 2008 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Agnostic

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a new smartphone/portable mediaplayer somewhere in the next few months.

I was thinking about getting an Iphone 3G 32Gb if/when it is released but I'm getting kind of disgusted with apples business practices lately and the amount of control they want over how people use the devices they sell. The problems with the 3g reception are also a worry so I would really like to go another route if there is anything with comparable functionality.

I was wondering if there are any viable alternatives to Iphone 3G in existence or to be released in the coming months?

Most important requirements would be:
-sound quality
-at least 16Gb
-screen larger than Ipod classic
-3g mobile internet
-video playback capability

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #2 of 24
samsung omnia... gsmarena has detailed review on it... 16gb + microSD slot, 5mp auto-fucos camera, wifi, HSDPA, and average SQ....

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 24
Also the HTC Diamond Touch could be an alternative. Higher resolution from a physically smaller screen and smaller device than the iPhone. Windows Mobile based but with Opera browser.

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also the HTC Diamond Touch could be an alternative. Higher resolution from a physically smaller screen and smaller device than the iPhone. Windows Mobile based but with Opera browser.

Pity both the Samsuns and HTC only have average sound quality.
frown.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 24
Thanks for the links. I read the comparative review of the HTC and Samsung. Pity, either would have been interesting if they had good SQ/3.5mm jack.
frown.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 24
I own the Omnia, it indeed doesn't sound as good as my previous phone, which was a Nokia N91, and the conversion wire for the 3.5mm jack isn't an ideal solution either. I'll compare it with my brothers Iphone later on, post the results here.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 24
I use a 32GB 2nd Gen Touch now for most of my Music/Video playback but still use my SonyEricsson W960i 8GB while out & about and as phone etc. Use with a BT stereo headset (DS980) which also has fantastic sound but also used my Shure SE530's with it with included adapter.

Would do everything you mentioned except only 8GB but sounds fabulous in my opinion. 2.6" screen so slightly bigger than Classic. 3g using Opera browser is also fine but nowhere near as good as Safari on the Touch/iPhone. Not built-in 3.5mm port but comes with adapter cable.

You could go the P1i route to have 16GB with a memory card & mod to get the Walkman 3 software to work on it.

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 24
I have one of the old iphones,
It is extremely functional especially jail-broken =).
I truly like this phone except the stupid recessed jack, but luckily shure was thinking ahead and you dont have to mod the cable any longer. I would recommend it anyday.

Dave

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #11 of 24
Well the list I have now is:

Samsung Omnia
Blackberry 9500 Storm
Nokia N95 or N96
HTC Diamond

Anyone have any idea which will be the best sounding of those?

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #12 of 24
[RANT] Forget the Storm. Vendor lock in sucks. I don't want to get a separate expensive BIS subsription to use email and their built in web browser. Same business practices as Apple, so F%^& that. Pity, the Storm looked like a nice phone.

I'm getting really sick of the vendor lock in games all the carriers and manufacturers are playing.

I don't know about the rest of the world but here in Europe we have finally got the rules in place and the carriers more or less complying to make it doable to switch carriers in semi customer friendly fashion and they are already starting to turn to other dirty tricks to control their customers behaviour.

The free market works? HAH! What a crock o' crap. Look at the financial crisis, look at these dirty lock in games companies play. Look at the illegal kartel agreements that have surfaced lately. 99% of companies would be running extortion rackets instead of businesses without regulations. Hell, a lot of them ARE running extortion rackets even with all the regulations that are allready in place. [/RANT]

Anyway, my research is making me think that there is no pmp phone out yet that doesn't have some serious flaws.
frown.gif

Maybe I should just get a decent phone for calling and mobile internet/mail and get a good pmp for video and audio...

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, my research is making me think that there is no pmp phone out yet that doesn't have some serious flaws.
frown.gif

Maybe I should just get a decent phone for calling and mobile internet/mail and get a good pmp for video and audio...

You might wanna consider the HTC Touch HD or the SE Xperia. They both have wonderful screen and a 3.5mm jack. I'm not so sure about the SQ but if you would like an all in one package, something's gotta give.

Seperate devices almost always perform better but it is more inconvenient as you will have to carry more than 1 device. You will have to decide which is more important to you, portability or SQ.

I'm currently using the HTC Touch Diamond and a Gen1 iPod Touch. I get the best of both world and since I almost always carry a bag around, it doesn't bother me as much.

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 24
Nokia XpressMusic 5800. 8GB microSDHC card in the box, upgradeable to whatever you will need (current is 16GB).

Past XpressMusic phones had awesome (compared to other music phones) SQ due to the inclusion of dedicated audio chip. According to a review I read, the 5800's SQ is almost as good as other popular DAPs.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[RANT] Forget the Storm. Vendor lock in sucks. I don't want to get a separate expensive BIS subsription to use email and their built in web browser. Same business practices as Apple, so F%^& that. Pity, the Storm looked like a nice phone.

I'm getting really sick of the vendor lock in games all the carriers and manufacturers are playing.

I don't know about the rest of the world but here in Europe we have finally got the rules in place and the carriers more or less complying to make it doable to switch carriers in semi customer friendly fashion and they are already starting to turn to other dirty tricks to control their customers behaviour.

The free market works? HAH! What a crock o' crap. Look at the financial crisis, look at these dirty lock in games companies play. Look at the illegal kartel agreements that have surfaced lately. 99% of companies would be running extortion rackets instead of businesses without regulations. Hell, a lot of them ARE running extortion rackets even with all the regulations that are allready in place. [/RANT]

frown.gif

The Storm is a great phone.
Free markets work, and eventually correct themselves (or with the help of regulations). With the good, comes the bad too, and economic cycles happen. When you look at the whole picture, free markets have done a whole lot more good than bad. This crisis will also pass and good times will be back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back