Alternatives to Iphone 3G? (Now including rant)
Jan 31, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #16 of 24
Save your dollars on music playing phones. I have bought a ton of high end phones in my time, many geared towards music playing. They all pretty much suck. None of them are intuitive enough to be a good all out music player. The closest thing is the iPhone, but I personally, am not a fan of a touch screen music player. I am old school, buttons ftw.

IMO, if you want a really good music player, and a phone. Get a really good music player, and a phone. Right now, there is no really good integrated solution. Most people ask what is better than the iPhone. However, think why people are asking this. They want something more than the best. If there was something better, people would not be asking. They would just be buying the other thing.

However, if you really want an integrated solution:

Sound quality
iPhone is probably going to get you the best, Apple is pretty good at making music playing hardware. Dont waste your time with the Sonys or Nokias. They are **** when it comes to music quality. I have got a hold of pretty much every high end model from both these brands ($500-$1k usd), and while some of the Sonys are pretty good (they have EXCELLENT cameras), they still sound pretty bad. The Nokias are pure crap in all media. Crappy audio, video, and camera, no matter the spec.

At least 16Gb
Any expandable memory phone will do this.

screen larger than Ipod classic
Pretty much any PDA style phone should do you well. If you care about screen quality, that is another issue.

3g mobile internet
What doesnt have this? Most phones made in the last few years have had this. Especially higher end phones.

Video playback capability
iPhone again, they have way more experience in this field than most phone companies. The screen is just very very good, and there is enough available processing power on the CPU and GPU to decompress the video at full FPS. Most of the higher end phones have faster processors, but crappy ass GPUs, which hits video playback right in the groin. The PowerVR MBX Lite 3D is based off the processor layout that ran the Sega Dreamcast, and when something is made for video games, it is made to be fast. This is really the "secret" to what allows the iPhone to have a slick interface. Without it, the interface would have to be just as clunky as the other phones.

I am not a iPhone junkie, I am just into forward technologies, especially in processors and graphic processors (it is my job). Right now it looks like Apple is looking to become the leader in "multiprocessing for the masses" (and it looks like they will beat everybody to it with Snow Leopard+OpenCl ), so it is no wonder that the iPhone was given a badass set of chips.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #18 of 24
Hi

I am new to this community, I would like to say halo
beerchug.gif

This is my first post
biggrin.gif

So I was searching a whole while for the right phone/DAP/PMP. I will buy something in the next weeks...

When searching through the internet i found this: MEIZU | HOME

And there is a forum, where sometimes the CEO of the Company Meizu posts, that means they are pretty actual on information: Everything Meizu M8 miniOne, M6, M7 and M3 | Meizu Me

I read through a lot of posts and found out that the DAC is probably: Wolfson WM8753

I do not know if this is a standard Chip or it is something good. It also plays a lot of video codecs.

And for me most important FLAC...

The device has Wlan, but it has to be opend by a patch.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #19 of 24
It's a little difficult to know which 'disgusting' Apple policies you're against, but it you're dead set against an iPhone (easily the best phone I've ever used) why not wait for the next models of Android phones? If you're set on openness at least it's in spirit there (we'll see how hardward/service corps compromise this). It's the only other platform besides Apples (sorry Palmies) I'm excited about and one of the hardware manufacturers is bound to get the audio right in the coming months. Course I would have thought a 'good enough' Android phone would have been out by now. Still even the G1 is the second best phone I've ever used, all things considered.

And welcome RAFA!

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #20 of 24
.coco

4years ago, when nokia release nokia n91, it beats almost all stand-alone DAP both in quality and max output... you can dig its RMAA figures, graphs, and hardware.... Samsung innov8, motoE2 are both better than iphone in SQ, i guess you better try to listen to them before making such conclusive comment... About video playback, maybe you also forget that 3 years ago there are many phones with video accelerator chips; sample is n95... it can feed VGA (640x480) resolution @ 30fps in its TV-out... we also have HTC touch HD now with 800x480 display and does have powerVR (similar to iphone) video acceleration with multiple codec support...

i dont hate iphone, in fact i have one... its just that your post are misleading people around... before making conclusion, be sure to have factual back-up on your posts...

to the OP... here's the alternative i can think closest to your given criteria..

knights2si8.jpg

25012009224jc4.jpg

i8510jg7.jpg

Sound quality
=all 3 is better than iphone
At least 16Gb
=n96 and innov8 are with built in 16gb flash memory + microSD slot which support SDHC.. 5800 does have 8gb microSD card included in the box
screen larger than Ipod classic
=2.8" on n96 and innov8.. 3.1" on 5800
3g mobile internet
=all
Video playback capability
=innov8 is the strongest contender among 3, follwed by n96... 5800 is based on single arch Freescale Chips, so its not that good with video playback..

dont bother to ask why i have those phones above
smily_headphones1.gif

you can also dig my phones here:
http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...27241&page=116
http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...27241&page=124
http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...27241&page=112
http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...27241&page=108
http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...27241&page=107

and about the iphones hardware component, its not also the best among phones.. the X1, htc diamond, and etc. is better in proccsesor clock rate, RAM, and graphics accelerator... iphone just got samsung processor underclocked to 412mhz, 128mb of RAM, and dedicated graphics chip (PowerVR) which most of high-end multiedia phone also have...

and you said CRAPPY CAMERA?
Take a look @ this
http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showthread.php?t=74378

and the previos page of this thread
http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...17123&page=129

and to add-up, SonyEricssons leadership in phone photography is a history back in the time of k750, k800...
k850 and c905 are outpaced by competitors in their respective time...

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #21 of 24
I listened to the Samsung INNOV8 at a store, using my own MP3's on a SD card and my own headphone. Sound quality was simply wonderfull (compared to my old Nokia 5610 XpressMusic).

However, in the end (I was looking for a phone/MP3 player), I got a used Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, because it has some GREAT hardware (high res 800x400 screen, hardware keyboard, 'decent' 3.2 MP camera, good battery life, etc) AND good music sound quality. I'd say I prefer the sound of this Xperia over my iPod Classic, but you do have to be able to deal with the hiss.

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #22 of 24
Edit: Boiled over from economics into politics, so I had to throw it out. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back