Alternatives to IEM's?
Apr 13, 2014 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aetherh4cker

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody!

I was wondering what are some good super portable alternatives to IEM's.  I love how convenient an IEM is... can just throw it in my pocket and go... but I find most of them pretty uncomfortable.

What else could I use?  Some folding head phones?  Something else that is on-ear?

Budget is probably < $100.  Will get used for 50% music, 50% 3DS.

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 9
You can use earbuds, like the Sennheiser MX475 or the Blue Ever Blue 328R. I use the Sennheiser MX475 daily and am really satisfied with their sound quality. Stereo imaging, dynamics, tonal balance and soundstage are all very good for buds in their price range. Their sound is warm and inviting, clear and with good reproduction of details. The only downside is they do not block outside noise like IEMs do, but that does make them alot more safe for use in traffic.

I wouldn't really recommend the predecessor (Sennheiser MX470) though, as it had some durability issues (the plug could too easily break). The MX475 has a newly designed cable and plug and is more durable.

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 9
You are describing custom earphones - they don't feel the same as IEMs - they disappear in your ears. Earbuds don't exert pressure on your ear canals, therefore they are not as intrusive as IEMs - but they also don't tend to sound great as bass suffers without a seal. If you bought a inexpensive BA universal IEM and paid the $100 or so to remold them, you might find the perfect product. 

A budget of only $100 does make it tough - but I got a new pair of UE700s on this site for $70 and add $100 for remold, $20 for a cable - you could stay under $200 and get there...

Just an idea - but one that sounds head and shoulders better than earbuds.

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #6 of 9
  You are describing custom earphones - they don't feel the same as IEMs - they disappear in your ears. Earbuds don't exert pressure on your ear canals, therefore they are not as intrusive as IEMs - but they also don't tend to sound great as bass suffers without a seal. If you bought a inexpensive BA universal IEM and paid the $100 or so to remold them, you might find the perfect product. 

A budget of only $100 does make it tough - but I got a new pair of UE700s on this site for $70 and add $100 for remold, $20 for a cable - you could stay under $200 and get there...

Just an idea - but one that sounds head and shoulders better than earbuds.

I am happy with the bass performance of the Sennheiser MX475 earbuds. Midbass and upper bass is present in a good quantity and quality. Sub-bass is a tad soft, but definitely present, and clearly audible up to 24 Hz. I use the Sennheiser MX475 earbuds in conjunction with Hama 19 mm ear pads. Without ear pads the bass is softer, so it is recommended to use ear pads. Of course the earbuds are not recommended for bass heads at all, but those looking for a neutral sound (albeit a tad warm) won't be disappointed.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! I really appreciate your time!

Went with Sennheiser PX 100 II. Should be here Thursday!

Fwiw there's someone I work with who pretty much exclusively uses px 100's.  Asked me the other day if there were any others in that price range to which I replied "not really, for what you want" and he was more than happy to just go and get another set!  Must be doing something right then.  I'd have been happy but the isolation sucks sadly, so can't use them.

Nice choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back