Alternative to Benchmark USB DAC
Nov 19, 2008 at 10:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Greeni

500+ Head-Fier
What are some of the alternatives to the Benchmark with the following features:

1) USB input
2) Quality D/A converter
3) Reasonably good headphone output jack (SQ more important than control/ability to drive difficult load)
4) International voltage (optional, nice to have)

The Benchmark have these features, but I have read some not so enthuaistic comments on the SQ of Benchmark. I am aware that there is a $ 900 Wavelength Proton upcoming, I just want to know more options.

Thx

Nov 19, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 12
Through the end of the week Headroom has their Ultra Micro Amp & DAC on sale for $500 each (down from $700 each). The stock power supply isn't auto-switching, but you can upgrade to better quality power supplies that are auto-switching for $120 x 2.

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhamam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meier symphony, grace 902, lavry, apogee mini dac

the lavry is not usb
frown.gif
great dac though.

Nov 19, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 12
It doesn't have USB, but the Presonus Central Station fits your request. I think there are USB to Toslink/coax adapters, so there would be a workaround. They run about $500, but I got one on sale for $400.

It did a great job, but I sold it after getting into vinyl and SACD. Ended up using the computer rig less and less and then I sold it. But if I were going back to a DAC, it would still be at the top of my list.

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Benchmark have these features, but I have read some not so enthuaistic comments on the SQ of Benchmark. I am aware that there is a $ 900 Wavelength Proton upcoming, I just want to know more options.

Thx

Rather than speculate on the sound quality, you should try it yourself. They have a no questions 30 day return policy. I use a DAC1 USB to drive my inexpensive Grado 125 cans and my $6500 BAT integrated amp. It does both wonderfully. And sounds great. Source is a MacMini, playing 24/96 vinyl rips and Redbook.

Nov 21, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 12
Cambridge Audio DacMagic - 400 clams

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 12
benchmark dac1 is detailed and clear, however not engaging enough for me. Have been looking for something warmer and more musical for a while, I think I like mini dac better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back